Best Dual Rectifier Tones

8100 sort of deserves its own thread like this, it really moved music to somewhere new and different with a sound that could only be done with solid state circuitry. Probably appeared on more stuff than we realise too.

Rectifier got a ton of use across a lot of genres from the 90’s onwards - as I mentioned in the Tool thread, they were very early adopters. A lot of punk/rock/alternative bands all using them as well as metal.

Mesa Mark’s, Studio Pre, Triaxis all deserve a mention. Nirvana, Metallica, Dream Theater.

Marshall 2203/2204 etc still getting a ton of use. Marshalls were still everywhere, be it old amps and new. JMP-1 maybe deserves a mention too.

Vox AC30 for Oasis, U2, Radiohead (good page here, didn’t realise how much O Brien used a Tremoverb https://thekingofgear.com/ed/amplifiers )

Orange (Brendan O Brien supposedly used them a lot, can always picture oasis using them)

But the Rectifier was really the NEW amp on the scene that just took over. I think it’s funny how the Soldano SLO gets brought up and compared to it, but the Rectifier simply made its way onto more classic recordings, more bands touring rigs, more music videos. The circuit evolved and adapted to users needs, offered versatility, was available, offered a wide range of tones. It’s much harder to do a thread like this of tones made using the SLO, and generally the quality of music is worse and the genres are less varied. Not sure Mike Soldano would be complaining about the Recto borrowing heavily if the SLO had the success the Rectifier did, although Soldano were never set up to manufacture in the kinds of numbers Mesa could do. And likewise, Mesa built Recto’s like CRAZY, not unlike how Marshall just ramped up production from 1973 onwards.

@James Freeman

quite cool seeing this, not that it’s all accurate but you can see how close it is to the 2203 as far as how many bands it’s associated with: https://equipboard.com/c/guitar-amplifier-heads

Killer post, Ed! :beer

Andy Taylor (Duran Duran) used a pair of full stacks for his live rig during a period (and played them way too loud!) But he got some great tones out of 'em, even getting a really good clanky Notorious tone.

I never had an ear for a Rectifier but this thread makes it very clear, yep, definitely a 'modern' classic with a lot of great music recorded with it.

If the JCM800 was the sound of the 80s and the Rectifier was the sound of the early 00s, what was the sound of the 90s? :unsure:

I always think of a rat (or DS1/2) into a pretty clean amp as the 90s sound, but maybe that’s just me…

D

and another:

You saved yourself from only being able to see timbuck3's posts with this after that damn Hoobastank video.

johnny depp ew GIF

anybody know what factory bias is on stock dual rectifier?

Cold! :LOL:

Isn't that sort of the Mesa thing out of the factory---that tendency to bias/build their amps
around power tubes that are biased fairly cold relative to other amps/builders?

Last edited:
You saved yourself from only being able to see timbuck3's posts with this after that damn Hoobastank video.

johnny depp ew GIF
As I get older, popular rock music from when I was younger makes me smile more than it did then. Maybe it's nostalgia, maybe it's because every kid in that video is now in their late 40s to early 50s, but I dig a lot of poppier rock songs now from that era for sure.

We don't even really have pop rock anymore. Not really.

Back