Best Dual Rectifier Tones

David Karesh actually played Boogies.
I’m bein’ totally serious., sometimes DR’s!!
Check his gear the next time you see a photo from one of his in-house performances or better yet when he was rockin’ the Dallas watering hole circuit tryin’ to find his path.
Cameron actually had a handful of his own
Branch Dividian Dilldoe’s, yep.
They randomly would appear in photo’s with Mark building amps in his kitchen,
fly by night dividians💯
LTFOL and keep going.

I never had an ear for a Rectifier but this thread makes it very clear, yep, definitely a 'modern' classic with a lot of great music recorded with it.

If the JCM800 was the sound of the 80s and the Rectifier was the sound of the early 00s, what was the sound of the 90s? :unsure:

If the JCM800 was the sound of the 80s and the Rectifier was the sound of the early 00s, what was the sound of the 90s? :unsure:

real 90s metal was Marshall valvestate / 900 (built in silicon clipping)

mesa studio preamp / quad / triaxis

rectifier was everything rock radio from 92ish thru 2010, you can play metal with it without a boost but you have to be a really precise player, studio/triaxis don't need a boost to shred. Devin Townsend and most real metal recto tones is Maxon 808 into red modern (killswitch)

rectifier was everything rock radio from 92ish thru 2010, you can play metal with it without a boost but you have to be a really precise player, studio/triaxis don't need a boost to shred. Devin Townsend and most real metal recto tones is Maxon 808 into red modern (killswitch)
8100 sort of deserves its own thread like this, it really moved music to somewhere new and different with a sound that could only be done with solid state circuitry. Probably appeared on more stuff than we realise too.

Rectifier got a ton of use across a lot of genres from the 90’s onwards - as I mentioned in the Tool thread, they were very early adopters. A lot of punk/rock/alternative bands all using them as well as metal.

Mesa Mark’s, Studio Pre, Triaxis all deserve a mention. Nirvana, Metallica, Dream Theater.

Marshall 2203/2204 etc still getting a ton of use. Marshalls were still everywhere, be it old amps and new. JMP-1 maybe deserves a mention too.

Vox AC30 for Oasis, U2, Radiohead (good page here, didn’t realise how much O Brien used a Tremoverb https://thekingofgear.com/ed/amplifiers )

Orange (Brendan O Brien supposedly used them a lot, can always picture oasis using them)

But the Rectifier was really the NEW amp on the scene that just took over. I think it’s funny how the Soldano SLO gets brought up and compared to it, but the Rectifier simply made its way onto more classic recordings, more bands touring rigs, more music videos. The circuit evolved and adapted to users needs, offered versatility, was available, offered a wide range of tones. It’s much harder to do a thread like this of tones made using the SLO, and generally the quality of music is worse and the genres are less varied. Not sure Mike Soldano would be complaining about the Recto borrowing heavily if the SLO had the success the Rectifier did, although Soldano were never set up to manufacture in the kinds of numbers Mesa could do. And likewise, Mesa built Recto’s like CRAZY, not unlike how Marshall just ramped up production from 1973 onwards.

@James Freeman

quite cool seeing this, not that it’s all accurate but you can see how close it is to the 2203 as far as how many bands it’s associated with: https://equipboard.com/c/guitar-amplifier-heads

Last edited:

8100 sort of deserves its own thread like this, it really moved music to somewhere new and different with a sound that could only be done with solid state circuitry. Probably appeared on more stuff than we realise too.

Rectifier got a ton of use across a lot of genres from the 90’s onwards - as I mentioned in the Tool thread, they were very early adopters. A lot of punk/rock/alternative bands all using them as well as metal.

Mesa Mark’s, Studio Pre, Triaxis all deserve a mention. Nirvana, Metallica, Dream Theater.

Marshall 2203/2204 etc still getting a ton of use. Marshalls were still everywhere, be it old amps and new. JMP-1 maybe deserves a mention too.

Vox AC30 for Oasis, U2, Radiohead (good page here, didn’t realise how much O Brien used a Tremoverb https://thekingofgear.com/ed/amplifiers )

Orange (Brendan O Brien supposedly used them a lot, can always picture oasis using them)

But the Rectifier was really the NEW amp on the scene that just took over. I think it’s funny how the Soldano SLO gets brought up and compared to it, but the Rectifier simply made its way onto more classic recordings, more bands touring rigs, more music videos. The circuit evolved and adapted to users needs, offered versatility, was available, offered a wide range of tones. It’s much harder to do a thread like this of tones made using the SLO, and generally the quality of music is worse and the genres are less varied. Not sure Mike Soldano would be complaining about the Recto borrowing heavily if the SLO had the success the Rectifier did, although Soldano were never set up to manufacture in the kinds of numbers Mesa could do. And likewise, Mesa built Recto’s like CRAZY, not unlike how Marshall just ramped up production from 1973 onwards.

@James Freeman

quite cool seeing this, not that it’s all accurate but you can see how close it is to the 2203 as far as how many bands it’s associated with: https://equipboard.com/c/guitar-amplifier-heads

I’d be remiss if I didn’t acknowledge the magic combination that created the top echelon of memorable yet unique tones for many of us, and that was the Rectifier layered with Superlead/JMP/800. Adam Jones was using it, Soundgarden, early blink stuff, and who knows what else. It’s pizza and beer…it just worked together in magical ways.

Outside the box for sure with this one. Dual Rec Trem-O-Verb with a Rickenbacker and Telecaster. Yup.
Thank you, Jeff Buckley. :chef

These amps are way more versatile than the downtuned (Nu)Metal they are so often associated with.

Jeff seemed to like blending a Fender with the Mesa.

I’ve been beating this drum since the late 90s and there’s just a stigma there that’s hard to shake. My other guitar player went into the 5150 camp in the 2000s and detests Rectifier amps. I remember one of the old review quotes becoming Mesa marketing literature - something about being able to cut an entire album without leaving the orange channel, and man THAT IS THE TRUTH.

That modern red channel is such a bright star that people often miss what would be its own classic amp if it had just been a single or dual channel vintage orange channel head. I’d get KILLER tones with teles, LPs, everything.

@James Freeman

Ever wonder how many Marshalls Mesa sold in the late 80s and early 90s before it was commonplace to get detailed rig info? There are SO MANY tones that I attributed to modded Marshall in the early and mid 90s that ended up being either Marks or Rectifiers. In retrospect we realize those are different sounds now but I think there was a whitewash where we just attributed it to production.

Back