Axe-FX III Dyna-Cabs

IMO many more will likely complain without the SM57 , it’s as said above the guitar mic
It’s like having the three food groups of guitar tone a Les Paul , Strat , Tele in your studio and saying let’s just replace the Les Paul w a PRS

Can't go wrong with SM57, R121 and U87, Fractal chose wisely.
The SM7B on a cab is certainly a sound, but nothing that the SM57 can't do with a touch of EQ.

Those are exactly the three I would pick. All industry standards.

Here's something to try: Pick a ribbon mic, then set the position and distance controls to their highest settings. It's kind of a faux amp in the room.

I have my Axe FX 3 set up with one output to a power amp/cab (no cab block) and another output to my studio monitors (stereo cab block). I've been A/B-ing them to try and get the studio monitors to sound closer to the real speaker as the monitors tend to be a lot more scooped. I was still needing to use a lot of high and low cuts with the mic up close, but moving it very far away seems to emphasize the mids more and take off the highs and lows.

Why the parallel firmwares, isn't there enough space for another mic?
What if people want a MD421 or M160 next?
If it really is a storage limitation, I’m glad Line 6 went the route they did, giving us many more mic options.

There was this one dork (i.e., me) over on TGP who pointed out that the only practical difference between Fractal’s DynaCabs and Helix’s stock cabs was the number of captures taken over a given distance. (It went as well as you’d expect.)

If it’s a storage limitation and Fractal pruned down the number of discrete IRs to include more mics, they’d lose that feature differentiator.

Then again, if Fractal plans to support additional third party IR packs with this new implementation, then surely there’s enough excess storage… right? Or do 3rd party cabs have to replace the stock ones? (Or run from an attached USB drive…?)

I have post it already in the fractal forum, but as here we have people with others modelers, they might be interested to know what's going on with the dynacabs

So I have tested the "alternative dynacab beta firmware" one hour ago, with the SM7B, and I vote for this one better than the 57 without a single doubt !
here I have picked up one of my go-to preset and changed the cab for the dynacab, with one cab with the sm7b and the condenser in another cab
(that's just an impro)

So I have tested the "alternative dynacab beta firmware" one hour ago, with the SM7B, and I vote for this one better than the 57 without a single doubt !
To be fair, so does Cliff! I think that if he's just going to have "Dynamic", "Condenser", "Ribbon" types, just pick the best ones.

Scrap the condenser, add the SM7B as second dynamic mic instead. Done. :cool:
The problem is many have already said they Ike that one best on its own
Unfortunately your never going to please everyone if he somehow finds a way to add 2 dynamic
Then someone wants a 421 or 160
Ultimately if you are going w 3 mics the 3 most common and used will be the best option for most
And if you want t to mix in a 160 421 you can still do that with an IR and have them aligned

There is an issue with the availability of the MD421.
The new MD421 II sounds like nasally ass vomit on guitar cabs, and the older MD421-U is a second hand lottery with a chance that you'll get a broken one is more than half, they tend to fall on the floor from their stupid mic clip and never sound the same.

I still think the 421 is more common than the SM7b on guitars. In fact it's almost as ubiquitous as the SM57 is, and they are often paired together.
In my experience the SM7b is more directional than the SM57.

As such it has less room reflections when creating IRs.

I have post it already in the fractal forum, but as here we have people with others modelers, they might be interested to know what's going on with the dynacabs

here I have picked up one of my go-to preset and changed the cab for the dynacab, with one cab with the sm7b and the condenser in another cab
(that's just an impro)

Wow some killer tones in there
But the playing is freaking off the charts

Cliff has stated the SM7b is one if his favorite mics for guitars.

I'm sure this is why.
That's fine, but it has nothing to do with my original post, so I don't even know why you're bringing it up tbh. Whether it is directional or not has nothing to do with how it is commonly used.

The 421 is extremely common for guitars, going right back to the late 60's. For that purpose it's pretty much "the other SM57".

The SM7b is seen as primarily a broadcast and vocal microphone.

Doesn't mean you *can't* use it on guitars of course, but it isn't known for it and for most engineers and producers isn't the first mic you'd go for to put on a guitar cab.

Back