Axe-FX III Dyna-Cabs

Curiosity got the better of me, and I just did some tests. I did free-air impedance measurements on an Eminence Legend 1258 I had lying around at four different power levels: approximately 1W, 2W, 4W, and 8W. In a free air test, it takes relatively little power to make a typical guitar transducer go audibly nonlinear in the region of its resonant frequency. Trust me on this: 8 watts is more than enough.

There was no measurable shift in the resonant frequency at any power level, even though the speaker was sounding pretty zippy at 8 watts. FYI, that much power into this Legend in an enclosure would yield about 109dB at a 1 meter distance.

The one thing that changed due to increasing power level was the magnitude of the peak impedance. It went from ca. 55 ohms at one watt to about 53 ohms at 8 watts. The test is most sensitive to environmental noise right at the speaker's resonant frequency, so the difference lies just barely outside test-to-test repeatability. The lumped-element parameter that would cause this kind of variation is the speaker suspension's mechanical resistance, which acts proportional to cone velocity. Given the easily-heard air noise, it appears most likely that turbulence due to air pumping in the magnet gap is the cause of the magnitude shift. I could verify this by removing the dust cover and running the tests again, but I'm not really doing R&D here. I'm posting to make a simple point supported by data I have acquired.

I saved the graphs on my test system's host computer, and it will be something of a project to transfer the files to another box (long story). I'll try to do that later and upload the graphs here.

Last edited:
  • 2017, maybe earlier: Two Notes releases their cab sim thing with movable mic/position/angle. How it worked under the hood I do not know.
  • 2019: ML Sound Lab MIKKO is the first to offer a cab sim that lets you adjust not only the mic position/distance/angle but also adjust it all around the cone. It also supports mixing up to 9 different cab/mic combinations together and you can export it in mono, stereo, different sample rates and more. They have just released MIKKO 2 that has a ton of cabs and an updated UI. I think it's still the most advanced cab sim plugin on the market.
  • 2020: Quad Cortex 2 is the first hardware unit to my knowledge to offer movable mic UI on the device itself.
  • 2022: Line6 brings a new cab sim system with Helix 3.5 firmware.
  • 2023: Tonex has the VIR cabs feature in their pedal.
  • 2023: Fractal brings their own cab sim system.
Gotta be a lot of stuff missing from here?

I don’t remember IK exactly pioneering dragging a mic around a speaker but it doesnt feel particularly new. Admittedly easier to do in software than HW though. Pretty sure Amplitube 3 came out around 2010:

1680380453196.jpeg

Gotta be a lot of stuff missing from here?

I don’t remember IK exactly pioneering dragging a mic around a speaker but it doesnt feel particularly new. Admittedly easier to do in software than HW though. Pretty sure Amplitube 3 came out around 2010:

View attachment 6048

And Overloud's TH plugins, the latest of which is TH-U, and has a great cab section.

Curiosity got the better of me, and I just did some tests. I did free-air impedance measurements on an Eminence Legend 1258 I had lying around at four different power levels: approximately 1W, 2W, 4W, and 8W. In a free air test, it takes relatively little power to make a typical guitar transducer go audibly nonlinear in the region of its resonant frequency. Trust me on this: 8 watts is more than enough.

There was no measurable shift in the resonant frequency at any power level, even though the speaker was sounding pretty zippy at 8 watts. FYI, that much power into this Legend in an enclosure would yield about 109dB at a 1 meter distance.

The one thing that changed due to increasing power level was the magnitude of the peak impedance. It went from ca. 55 ohms at one watt to about 53 ohms at 8 watts. The test is most sensitive to environmental noise right at the speaker's resonant frequency, so the difference lies just barely outside test-to-test repeatability. The lumped-element parameter that would cause this kind of variation is the speaker suspension's mechanical resistance, which acts proportional to cone velocity. Given the easily-heard air noise, it appears most likely that turbulence due to air pumping in the magnet gap is the cause of the magnitude shift. I could verify this by removing the dust cover and running the tests again, but I'm not really doing R&D here. I'm posting to make a simple point supported by data I have acquired.

I saved the graphs on my test system's host computer, and it will be something of a project to transfer the files to another box (long story). I'll try to do that later and upload the graphs here.
Won’t it be funny that as a result of this exchange Cliff hires Jay? You definitely speak the same language and its very interesting to follow along. I also love how you take the time to experiment in conjunction to learning from research and papers.

Pretty sure Amplitube 3 came out around 2010:
Amplitube 3 is the earliest I can remember this kind of interface. Amplitube 2 had selectable IR's, but you couldn't blend between them. You could just select from a range of options:

ik3-IWjCmYOuRsjBJR8FM04TeO7UifCFPVJL.jpg

So the microphone didn't move, but it did graphically update depending on what options you selected. They massively enhanced this in AT3, as you say, and added blending to their bag of tricks. Always been a fan of IK's skeuomorphic designs btw!

Wow. That takes me back!

Back