Axe-FX III Dyna-Cabs

That's fine, but it has nothing to do with my original post, so I don't even know why you're bringing it up tbh. Whether it is directional or not has nothing to do with how it is commonly used.

The 421 is extremely common for guitars, going right back to the late 60's. For that purpose it's pretty much "the other SM57".

The SM7b is seen as primarily a broadcast and vocal microphone.

Doesn't mean you *can't* use it on guitars of course, but it isn't known for it and for most engineers and producers isn't the first mic you'd go for to put on a guitar cab.
I assumed the discussion was why add the SM7b before the MD421?

I personally would not use a MD421 in a single mic guitar setup. I would however use a SM7b this way.

@FractalAudio have you tried this?

Not the greatest cut but it works!
FB_IMG_1682777844867.jpg

Do you use just a MD421 mic or IR to record your guitars?
Depends really. Sometimes IR's, and even then it's sometimes my own ones, versus Ownhammer or York Audio, and also the ones from @MirrorProfiles make an appearance too.

But also in my home studio I have my Egnater cab mic'd up, and when I want that, I can easily do it that way too.

Depends really. Sometimes IR's, and even then it's sometimes my own ones, versus Ownhammer or York Audio, and also the ones from @MirrorProfiles make an appearance too.

But also in my home studio I have my Egnater cab mic'd up, and when I want that, I can easily do it that way too.
So just a sole 421? Where do you place it? Any clips? I’ve not been about to get a sole 421 to work for my tastes.

So just a sole 421? Where do you place it? Any clips? I’ve not been about to get a sole 421 to work for my tastes.
Sometimes I pair it with a 57, sometimes I use one or the other by itself. I can do some clips, no problem.

Sometimes I pair it with a 57, sometimes I use one or the other by itself. I can do some clips, no problem.
Yeah I’m just curious if you’ve stumbled upon something I’m missing or maybe your tastes and mine are just different.

I wonder when someoone will actually invent a dynamic cab format. One that emulates speakers in reaction to playing dynamics and not just frequency response. Being able to move a mic still results in a static picture of a cab. I find the term Variable IR more fitting for this.

I wonder when someoone will actually invent a dynamic cab format. One that emulates speakers in reaction to playing dynamics and not just frequency response. Being able to move a mic still results in a static picture of a cab. I find the term Variable IR more fitting for this.
UA Ox Box is marketed this way. I hear they are looking to make a pedal version?

IMO getting the poweramp->cabinet interaction right counts for way more than any speaker non linearities which as far as I can tell are a bit of a red herring.

If you take a line out from a guitar amp (as in from the poweramp while a cab is connected), and use an IR of the same rig I genuinely doubt anyone couldn’t reliably tell the difference.

Not saying it isn’t a factor, but I wouldn’t say it’s the place to look to get more out of cab emulations.

So... RE: SM7b.

@MirrorProfiles did some experiments with his recently, and he sent me a few example IR's. And I really like them.

It's got me thinking... I might've been a bit premature on the SM7b on the Axe. Gonna go back and give it another go tomorrow after work.

Celestion claim to have done this, but I've never tried it.

https://www.celestionplus.com/dsr-overview/
I have. IMO it's no better than good IRs. Pretty much any claim of "dynamic cabs" etc is IMO dubious at best. The UI on the software is a bit crappy and not being able to export an IR out of it reduces the value compared to something like ML Sound Lab MIKKO which does very much similar things, but without any "dynamic" claims.

When I have made IRs of my own cabs using the Axe-Fx 3, they sounded pretty much like that cab if I monitored the mic vs IR. If they sound the same, then where's all that "dynamic" stuff that is supposed to make all the difference? To me the important stuff is the amp-speaker interaction and that's modeled by Fractal.

I have. IMO it's no better than good IRs. Pretty much any claim of "dynamic cabs" etc is IMO dubious at best. The UI on the software is a bit crappy and not being able to export an IR out of it reduces the value compared to something like ML Sound Lab MIKKO which does very much similar things, but without any "dynamic" claims.

When I have made IRs of my own cabs using the Axe-Fx 3, they sounded pretty much like that cab if I monitored the mic vs IR. If they sound the same, then where's all that "dynamic" stuff that is supposed to make all the difference? To me the important stuff is the amp-speaker interaction and that's modeled by Fractal.
I've wanted to try the celestion speakermixpro - I can get around the not being able to export the to IR within in it. I was under the impression that that DSR part was them trying to model the interaction between amp and the speaker - which as you say is already modeled by Fractal. I already have Mikko 2 so the celestion version maybe slightly overkill

Back