Audio Interfaces

Recording wise currently using a UAD Apollo Twin MK2 Thunderbolt with various plugins. Have used the Axe and Helix at various times. I just make raw recordings for fun, and both approaches have been sufficient for my informal attempts. Probably for me the next big step is actually mixing and mastering something.

I asked about the Axe-Fx because I’ve been tempted to pick one up again.

Recording wise currently using a UAD Apollo Twin MK2 Thunderbolt with various plugins. Have used the Axe and Helix at various times. I just make raw recordings for fun, and both approaches have been sufficient for my informal attempts. Probably for me the next big step is actually mixing and mastering something.

I asked about the Axe-Fx because I’ve been tempted to pick one up again.
If you seriously want to get into mixing and mastering, that UA sale going on now for ultimate is the cheapest it’s ever been.

How high can you raise the buffer setting? How many VIs would be in such a production? How would you set up a listen bus for alt headphone monitoring? To me, those things are critical for being able to “happily” record a production. Of course I can print every VI, create all sorts of aggregate devices and buy a mac and simply not use virtual channels and advanced routing. Let’s face it, if someone wanted to record an EDM album, they could probably win a Grammy just using their laptops soundcard.
Like I stated upthread before I was misquoted and taken out of context, I’d like to hear productions made with solely an interface and no other outboard. I own an axefxIII, an fm9 and an fm3. I’m fully invested in the platform. There’s no way I can do what I do at my desk with any of them. My current setup is 3 Apollo x8. I use my Eventide H9000 pretty heavily as well as my SSL bus comp. I guess optical ADAT, out the window right away. Forget about micing my acoustic too. Slate VSX will go on the main out because I have no cues.

And those are the things off the top of my head. Not to mention, I’m just jerking off a step above jamming to YouTube tracks. I’m not really producing anything outside of what friends have sent me.
Guess I don’t have the needs and requirements that you have. No point in asking me questions that involves how you would do things :) you just do what you do, with the gear that you need to get the job (that you do) done. Simple as that.

We are lucky to live in a time where you can be very creative with very little. I remember a time when I was recording guitar into a fostex porta… banging on cardboard boxes and coffe mugs. What then? I didn’t have anyone to help me take things further. Didn’t know anyone with a fully equipped analog studio (of course there was some digital then, but not on a hobbyist teen at home level). What wouldn’t I do to have the amazing world that is inside only Logic Pro (yes… even without 3rd party plugins). Guess I’m just very happy with the very few little things i have :)

Guess I don’t have the needs and requirements that you have. No point in asking me questions that involves how you would do things :) you just do what you do, with the gear that you need to get the job (that you do) done. Simple as that.

We are lucky to live in a time where you can be very creative with very little. I remember a time when I was recording guitar into a fostex porta… banging on cardboard boxes and coffe mugs. What wouldn’t I do to have the amazing world that is inside Logic Pro (yes… even without 3rd party plugins). Guess I’m just very happy with the very few little things i have :)
I ask those questions not to point out deficiencies but because I actually want to know.

Back