Audio Interfaces

Right now I am using my Presonus Studiolive AR16 and it's been a pleasure. I really only record for self enjoyment. I am working on completing an original song right now. I really want to do the drums on my acoustic kit but AD2 and EZD3 both sound so damn good, I may just step write the stuff that isn't loops.

Recently picked up an RME ADI-2 Pro FS. HUGE step up over the UAD Apollo silverface I was using.

Decided 2 posh channels of I/O was all I need for most tasks. Using the Apollo for extra I/O when doing drums or other tasks, and I even use some Behringer ADA8200 for some line level stuff that I can just leave patched up

i have a focusrite scarlett 2i2 but looking at the UA bolts. is the interface gonna make that much of a difference?

i will admit the UA stuff looks great because you have the models that they have. :)

i am just not convinced that it the actual interface will make that much of a difference sonically.

i have a focusrite scarlett 2i2 but looking at the UA bolts. is the interface gonna make that much of a difference?

i will admit the UA stuff looks great because you have the models that they have. :)

i am just not convinced that it the actual interface will make that much of a difference sonically.
I dont think you’ll see a significant bump up in a Volt from your Scarlett 212. Or any. You WILL hear a significant difference if you step up to an Apollo with at least 1 unison mic pre and a healthy assortment of unison plugins. Thats my system and Im thrilled with it.

What differences are you looking for???

I've not tried the Volt series, but I have had many Scarlett devices over the years. They're fine enough, mostly crap drivers.

I dont think you’ll see a significant bump up in a Volt from your Scarlett 212. Or any. You WILL hear a significant difference if you step up to an Apollo with at least 1 unison mic pre and a healthy assortment of unison plugins. Thats my system and Im thrilled with it.
thanks...since i have the UA deal, i might go that route.

What differences are you looking for???

I've not tried the Volt series, but I have had many Scarlett devices over the years. They're fine enough, mostly crap drivers.
for me, just an improvement in sonic quality...which i am not convinced is gonna be noticeable. i mean, i record guitars into pro tools. no plug-ins, no effects or compression, no EQ, just a close-miked 57.

for me, just an improvement in sonic quality...which i am not convinced is gonna be noticeable. i mean, i record guitars into pro tools. no plug-ins, no effects or compression, no EQ, just a close-miked 57.
If you’re micing guitars, DEFINITELY the unison pre with the 1073 channel strip will be a very noticeable step up. I had a Vintech which is a 1073 clone and after getting the unison plugin, I no longer miss the Vintech and boy did I miss that thing.

If you’re micing guitars, DEFINITELY the unison pre with the 1073 channel strip will be a very noticeable step up. I had a Vintech which is a 1073 clone and after getting the unison plugin, I no longer miss the Vintech and boy did I miss that thing.
thank you!

back in the day i had an averill 1073, two avedis MA5s, and three API 312s. of course, i also had a friend who was a real engineer who knew how to use that stuff. now it's just me haha.

thank you!

back in the day i had an averill 1073, two avedis MA5s, and three API 312s. of course, i also had a friend who was a real engineer who knew how to use that stuff. now it's just me haha.
My go to stuff in their collection is the API channel strip, the SSL channel strip and if Im reamping distorted guitars I love the Neve stuff. I recently got a hardware SSL Bus compressor and I can honestly get a very similar flavor with the plugin. Hardware is great but pound for pound these plugins are a great value. You’ll also be tracking unison with near zero latency.

I have a modest Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 2nd gen. I have had a really hard time replacing it with anything better. Everything upper scale tends to have worse set of I/O or is only a bit better, including Focusrites own 3rd gen Scarlett or the new Clarett+ range. I could use a better headphone amp and instrument inptu but otherwise the Focusrite works for me.

I have an Axe-Fx 3 that has both of those so I can use that if I want but I'm kinda annoyed that it has displays blaring at me from the FC12 and the main LCD when I would need neither of them. Sure I could put some cardboard over it and disconnect the FC but that's a bit of a chore. I asked Fractal to implement a screen saver mode that turns these off on a timer but fat chance for that happening, knowing Fractal.

I just don't particularly like using modelers as audio interfaces because they lack things like easy controls for routing, panning and volume controls that dedicated audio interfaces have. Modelers always bury this stuff somewhere deep in the menus if they are available in the first place.

I have a modest Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 2nd gen. I have had a really hard time replacing it with anything better. Everything upper scale tends to have worse set of I/O or is only a bit better, including Focusrites own 3rd gen Scarlett or the new Clarett+ range. I could use a better headphone amp and instrument inptu but otherwise the Focusrite works for me.

I have an Axe-Fx 3 that has both of those so I can use that if I want but I'm kinda annoyed that it has displays blaring at me from the FC12 and the main LCD when I would need neither of them. Sure I could put some cardboard over it and disconnect the FC but that's a bit of a chore. I asked Fractal to implement a screen saver mode that turns these off on a timer but fat chance for that happening, knowing Fractal.

I just don't particularly like using modelers as audio interfaces because they lack things like easy controls for routing, panning and volume controls that dedicated audio interfaces have. Modelers always bury this stuff somewhere deep in the menus if they are available in the first place.
100% on the same page with this. Modelers work for basic interface needs like jamming to YouTube. More than that you’re better served with an interface.

I’ve wishlisted being able to turn off the LCD.

Just got myself an Audient ID4 (mk2). Not that i had anything against my Motu M4, but i kinda realized it was overkill for my needs and I really wanted the smaller and more portable aspect of the Audient. It goes very well with my MacBook Air. And being able to move and use them in whatever room I want to be in is nice. The looks is a bonus. (I admit that my Apple space gray fetish may have an impact on my gear choices… if it looks and feels good… it’s good)

The sound is a subtle matter… I guess playing music through both I don’t hear any big difference, maybe the Motu is more “sterile” and hi-fi. I’m not sure. The Audient sounds great through both headphones and monitors. It’s a full and vivid type of thing but doesn’t strike me as hyped anywhere. There’s something there and my limited experience on interfaces can’t put a finger on it.

Regarding guitar input. The Motu seems to have an upper hand with its drivers and the excellent latency performance. The Audient also has good drivers it seems, very capable and the latency differences doesn’t matter it seems. I certainly can’t feel a difference. 48k and 32 samples is my safe zone and both seem to have the same reported latency (a neural dsp app…. Which we can’t really trust but at least it’s a hint that my m1 doesn’t care much about which interface I use).

But when it comes to input, to my ears the Audient definitely does something I like with its “special” jfet input. A di from both sounds different and I prefer the Audient. People may prefer their di untouched and not messed with, but I like it. Running it through plugins I’d be hard pressed to state that there are a huge or meaningful difference. I won’t run them through some analytical madness things, I’ll just use my ears. Just maybe I can hear a hint of more “life” or warmth in the Audient input vs the Motu using an amp sim.

This reminds me a little about the Strymon Iridium which also has this… input “feel”. The Audient input can be made to “sag” or “give” if that makes sense… it definitely behaves more like the preamp/boost/fairy dust pedals I’ve tried, than an audio interface instrument input in that regards… which kinda makes me smile as an old pedal nerd. Again… like the Iridium. But at ”normal” usage input settings its completely clean, just having its signature.

But the Motu would be the more studio performance correct input… I think. I’ll leave that to the studio audiophile think hats.

Nonetheless I’m keeping the Audient, and selling the Motu (seems to sell like hotcakes), it’s a great box for my needs and appeal to my portability thinking. And I love love love that master wheel and the speaker/headphone quick button which toggles between outputs fast. Very handy.

Last edited:
Just got myself an Audient ID4 (mk2). Not that i had anything against my Motu M4, but i kinda realized it was overkill for my needs and I really wanted the smaller and more portable aspect of the Audient. It goes very well with my MacBook Air. And being able to move and use them in whatever room I want to be in is nice. The looks is a bonus. (I admit that my Apple space gray fetish may have an impact on my gear choices… if it looks and feels good… it’s good)

The sound is a subtle matter… I guess playing music through both I don’t hear any big difference, maybe the Motu is more “sterile” and hi-fi. I’m not sure. The Audient sounds great through both headphones and monitors. It’s a full and vivid type of thing but doesn’t strike me as hyped anywhere. There’s something there and my limited experience on interfaces can’t put a finger on it.

Regarding guitar input. The Motu seems to have an upper hand with its drivers and the excellent latency performance. The Audient also has good drivers it seems, very capable and the latency differences doesn’t matter it seems. I certainly can’t feel a difference. 48k and 32 samples is my safe zone and both seem to have the same reported latency (a neural dsp app…. Which we can’t really trust but at least it’s a hint that my m1 doesn’t care much about which interface I use).

But when it comes to input, to my ears the Audient definitely does something I like with its “special” jfet input. A di from both sounds different and I prefer the Audient. People may prefer their di untouched and not messed with, but I like it. Running it through plugins I’d be hard pressed to state that there are a huge or meaningful difference. I won’t run them through some analytical madness things, I’ll just use my ears. Just maybe I can hear a hint of more “life” or warmth in the Audient input vs the Motu.

This reminds me a little about the Strymon Iridium which also has this… input “feel”. The Audient input can be made to “sag” or “give” if that makes sense… it definitely behaves more like the preamp/boost/fairy dust pedals I’ve tried, than an audio interface instrument input in that regards… which kinda makes me smile as an old pedal nerd. Again… like the Iridium.

But the Motu would be the more studio performance correct input… I think. I’ll leave that to the studio audiophile think hats.

Nonetheless I’m keeping the Audient, and selling the Motu (seems to sell like hotcakes), it’s a great box for my needs and appeal to my portability thinking. And I love love love that master wheel and the speaker/headphone quick button which toggles between outputs fast. Very handy.
bumping up from prosumer to professional interfaces used to really matter and make a big difference. I had an M-Audio profire 2626 that I thought sounded ok. Once I got an apogee Rosetta (This is going back over 15 years), the difference was huge. Fast forward to 5 years ago and a prosumer grade Presonus Studio 192 sounded WAY better than my apogee. Now with Apollos, its better but not by a mile or anything. More important these days is the feature set. The quality and transparency of even prosumer grade conversion will give you results professional enough.

I'm the opposite—prefer my interface do nothing but provide inputs and outputs to/from my DAW (at the lowest possible latency). No control panels to constantly switch to, no fancy monitor mixing, nothing to troubleshoot or take focus away from Logic... Okay, maybe line level shifting between -10 and +4 and meter ballistics but those are set and forget.

Lynx has a special Aurora n control panel but unless you need fancy per-channel routing, it doesn't even need to be installed on your computer.

I'm the opposite—prefer my interface do nothing but provide inputs and outputs to/from my DAW (at the lowest possible latency). No control panels to constantly switch to, no fancy monitor mixing, nothing to troubleshoot or take focus away from Logic... Okay, maybe line level shifting between -10 and +4 and meter ballistics but those are set and forget.

Lynx has a special Aurora n control panel but unless you need fancy per-channel routing, it doesn't even need to be installed on your computer.
I still don’t think modelers serve very well as interfaces. Outside of jamming along to YouTube, is anyone doing any real production with one? There’s just too much missing.

I've been using a Focusrite Scarlet 2i2 since 2015, and finally decided to upgrade to something that lets me keep more than 2 things plugged in, so I bought a Scarlet 4i4 last week.

It showed up, and immediately gave me the dreaded "No Hardware Connected" error. I went through all the troubleshooting steps on the Focusrite website, no change. Went thru a pile of "fixes" I found on different forums, no change. Finally contacted Focusrite Tech Support and they didn't reply for over 3 days... I sent back the info they requested and haven't heard from them since...

So, the 4i4 is getting returned and I ordered an M-Audio Air 196/2 that's supposed to show up tomorrow. Hopefully that does the trick...

Back