Audio Interfaces

I still don’t think modelers serve very well as interfaces. Outside of jamming along to YouTube, is anyone doing any real production with one? There’s just too much missing.
Helix is great. I love using it.

I can record vocals with hardware DSP compression and verb on the monitor just like UAD.

Separate headphone volume knob.

If I needed more mic inputs it'd start to fall short, but stereo mic'ing in most home studio scenarios, with my production skills at least (i.e. decent but not amazing hobbies level) is typically I'll advised.

Or if I needed more than one headphone out.

But the main reason a lot of home hobbies switch to UAD...Helix already has that covered and you don't have to buy the plugins to do it.

Helix is great. I love using it.

I can record vocals with hardware DSP compression and verb on the monitor just like UAD.

Separate headphone volume knob.

If I needed more mic inputs it'd start to fall short, but stereo mic'ing in most home studio scenarios, with my production skills at least (i.e. decent but not amazing hobbies level) is typically I'll advised.

Or if I needed more than one headphone out.

But the main reason a lot of home hobbies switch to UAD...Helix already has that covered and you don't have to buy the plugins to do it.
Townsend mic would change your life on an acoustic guitar. But you’d need stereo mic pres.

The UA plugins are among the best. I have the AxefxIII here and can use my fx as bus fx for my sessions but it’s really not the same, seemingly. Do you use your helix for bus fx too??

Townsend mic would change your life on an acoustic guitar. But you’d need stereo mic pres.

The UA plugins are among the best. I have the AxefxIII here and can use my fx as bus fx for my sessions but it’s really not the same, seemingly. Do you use your helix for bus fx too??
No. If I were going to do that (which I wouldn't) I'd use Native.

Helix has enough I/O that connecting external hardware, including stereo, should be pretty straightforward. straightforward.

Helix has enough I/O that connecting external hardware, including stereo, should be pretty straightforward. straightforward.
Native is so much more convenient when using a daw.

tried using my AxeFXIII as external bus effects. It seemed like a good idea but it really was clumsy and the effects seem better tailored to guitar stuff. Naturally so, but still a verb should be a verb, especially when there are so many types.

tried using my AxeFXIII as external bus effects. It seemed like a good idea but it really was clumsy and the effects seem better tailored to guitar stuff. Naturally so, but still a verb should be a verb, especially when there are so many types.
None of that has anything to do with it's functionality as an audio interface.

The Axe takes a little thought (i.e., making sure you use Output 2 as your main monitor output so you have separate volume control of monitors and headphones), but as long as it has sufficient I/O for the project, there's no reason it shouldn't work perfectly fine as an audio interface for "serious" projects.

Honestly the extra mixer type functionality, etc., That "real" interfaces include are more relevant to the "unserious" YouTube jamming, etc., than they are to "serious" projects.

None of that has anything to do with it's functionality as an audio interface.

The Axe takes a little thought (i.e., making sure you use Output 2 as your main monitor output so you have separate volume control of monitors and headphones), but as long as it has sufficient I/O for the project, there's no reason it shouldn't work perfectly fine as an audio interface for "serious" projects.

Honestly the extra mixer type functionality, etc., That "real" interfaces include are more relevant to the "unserious" YouTube jamming, etc., than they are to "serious" projects.
Except I use my interfaces for these functions. I use my UAD stuff as bus fx loading them into console, not to mention how would you route the listen bus in the AxeFXIII separately to a headphone out and simultaneously process it with something like VSX? I use my Apollo Cues for this. Further, lack of any mic pres to speak of make using condenser vocal mics impossible. Using my Townsend mics would also be impossible without 2 external pres.

Granted, apollos offer extra functionality above and beyond what some typical interfaces offer, but I’ve grown to appreciate and expect these features. It would affect my workflow if I couldn’t control and see my channels, assign fx in Console, etc etc etc. If all you ever need is a line in or 2, sure just about anything will serve. I’d really like to hear from people using the FAS or Helix or QC and are recording an album or serious demos with it. Im sure they’re out there and would like to really see/hear these projects. I know even for my bullshit, I rely on the feature set of my Apollo stuff. I couldn’t do it with the AxeFXIII, or I’d at least need to learn some work arounds.

Except I use my interfaces for these functions. I use my UAD stuff as bus fx loading them into console, not to mention how would you route the listen bus in the AxeFXIII separately to a headphone out and simultaneously process it with something like VSX? I use my Apollo Cues for this. Further, lack of any mic pres to speak of make using condenser vocal mics impossible. Using my Townsend mics would also be impossible without 2 external pres.

Granted, apollos offer extra functionality above and beyond what some typical interfaces offer, but I’ve grown to appreciate and expect these features. It would affect my workflow if I couldn’t control and see my channels, assign fx in Console, etc etc etc. If all you ever need is a line in or 2, sure just about anything will serve. I’d really like to hear from people using the FAS or Helix or QC and are recording an album or serious demos with it. Im sure they’re out there and would like to really see/hear these projects. I know even for my bullshit, I rely on the feature set of my Apollo stuff. I couldn’t do it with the AxeFXIII, or I’d at least need to learn some work arounds.
So...in other words, Apollo interfaces are the only ones capable for serious projects. Or I guess one of those Antelopes with built in DSP effects hosting. Maybe.

I would say that if you're workflow requires 36 cores of UA DSP like you say, that either your workflow is...terrible. Or the UA ecosystem is terribly inconvenient.

So...in other words, Apollo interfaces are the only ones capable for serious projects. Or I guess one of those Antelopes with built in DSP effects hosting. Maybe.

I would say that if you're workflow requires 36 cores of UA DSP like you say, that either your workflow is...terrible. Or the UA ecosystem is terribly inconvenient.
Thats not what I said, but if you’re going to just make stuff up, I’d like to be a prince. Or maybe a knight. And live in a really big castle. And have a moat and shit.

I still don’t think modelers serve very well as interfaces. Outside of jamming along to YouTube, is anyone doing any real production with one? There’s just too much missing.
Depends on what one want to do. And what the needs are.

I think i could happily record a whole album based of a HX stomp as an interface. In my case the only real instrument would be the guitar and the rest would be what is in the DAW and plugins, no vocals. So in that context… that would be a “real” production. My creativity and music writing would be the most important part of the equation, the rest would be dictated by what I could afford and feel worth spending on gear.

What is “real” production anyway, in todays tech world? In the past there wasn’t much choice. Today is different.

Last edited:
Depends on what one want to do. And what the needs are.

I think i could happily record a whole album based of a HX stomp as an interface. In my case the only real instrument would be the guitar and the rest would be what is in the DAW and plugins, no vocals. So in that context… that would be a “real” production. My creativity and music writing would be the most important part of the equation, the rest would be dictated by what I could afford and feel worth spending on gear.

What is “real” production anyway, in todays tech world? In the past there wasn’t much choice. Today is different.
How high can you raise the buffer setting? How many VIs would be in such a production? How would you set up a listen bus for alt headphone monitoring? To me, those things are critical for being able to “happily” record a production. Of course I can print every VI, create all sorts of aggregate devices and buy a mac and simply not use virtual channels and advanced routing. Let’s face it, if someone wanted to record an EDM album, they could probably win a Grammy just using their laptops soundcard.
Like I stated upthread before I was misquoted and taken out of context, I’d like to hear productions made with solely an interface and no other outboard. I own an axefxIII, an fm9 and an fm3. I’m fully invested in the platform. There’s no way I can do what I do at my desk with any of them. My current setup is 3 Apollo x8. I use my Eventide H9000 pretty heavily as well as my SSL bus comp. I guess optical ADAT, out the window right away. Forget about micing my acoustic too. Slate VSX will go on the main out because I have no cues.

And those are the things off the top of my head. Not to mention, I’m just jerking off a step above jamming to YouTube tracks. I’m not really producing anything outside of what friends have sent me.

Last edited:
How high can you raise the buffer setting? How many VIs would be in such a production? How would you set up a listen bus for alt headphone monitoring? To me, those things are critical for being able to “happily” record a production. Of course I can print every VI, create all sorts of aggregate devices and buy a mac and simply not use virtual channels and advanced routing. Let’s face it, if someone wanted to record an EDM album, they could probably win a Grammy just using their laptops soundcard.
Like I stated upthread before I was misquoted and taken out of context, I’d like to hear productions made with solely an interface and no other outboard. I own an axefxIII, an fm9 and an fm3. I’m fully invested in the platform. There’s no way I can do what I do at my desk with any of them. My current setup is 3 Apollo x8. I use my Eventide H9000 pretty heavily as well as my SSL bus comp. I guess ADAT, out the window right away. Forget about micing my acoustic too. Slate VSX will go on the main out because I have no cues.

And those are the things off the top of my head. Not to mention, I’m just jerking off a step above jamming to YouTube tracks. I’m not really producing anything outside of what friends have sent me.
Your position: "I don't see how anyone could record a serious projects using a modeler as interface."

Your response to all rebuttals: "but, but...how would you do it in the exact manner that I do it?"

You seem to conflate your workflow with the only workflow that can be used for serious projects. See DI's response above for someone that records serious projects and prefers an interface that is nothing but very high quality, low latency I/O and none of the fancy routing options you like.

Your Axe Fx III could support 6 line inputs and and a separate instrument input; simultaneously. It's got four stereo output busses. You seem to be tied to using the UA control panel for all your routing, but most DAWs can handle plenty of complex routing to those four stereo outputs, giving you plenty of options for multiple different monitor mixes if needed.

If one wants to use multiple headphone mixes then yeah, you'll need an external headphone amp solution - those aren't terribly expensive.

If one wants to use mics, then yeah, you'll need hardware mic pres. But I thought we were talking "serious productions" here?

A small patchbay would also come in handy, but that's similarly true for pretty much any audio interface with 6 stereo inputs and four stereo outputs.

For an individual musician, a Helix or QC with it's single mic pre is probably all they would need to do some plenty serious recording projects. They might *shudder* do things differently than the way you do them, but that doesn't mean it can't be done, and done in a very efficient manner without compromise.

Your position: "I don't see how anyone could record a serious projects using a modeler as interface."

Your response to all rebuttals: "but, but...how would you do it in the exact manner that I do it?"

You seem to conflate your workflow with the only workflow that can be used for serious projects. See DI's response above for someone that records serious projects and prefers an interface that is nothing but very high quality, low latency I/O and none of the fancy routing options you like.

Your Axe Fx III could support 6 line inputs and and a separate instrument input; simultaneously. It's got four stereo output busses. You seem to be tied to using the UA control panel for all your routing, but most DAWs can handle plenty of complex routing to those four stereo outputs, giving you plenty of options for multiple different monitor mixes if needed.

If one wants to use multiple headphone mixes then yeah, you'll need an external headphone amp solution - those aren't terribly expensive.

If one wants to use mics, then yeah, you'll need hardware mic pres. But I thought we were talking "serious productions" here?

A small patchbay would also come in handy, but that's similarly true for pretty much any audio interface with 6 stereo inputs and four stereo outputs.

For an individual musician, a Helix or QC with its single mic pre is probably all they would need to do some plenty serious recording projects. They might *shudder* do things differently than the way you do them, but that doesn't mean it can't be done, and done in a very efficient manner without compromise.
Of course I want to know how people would do things I want to achieve in my sessions. Is it a secret? Is there some more IO or features I’m not aware of? Then your answers have been up until this point “you’d need to buy something else”. Well, yea. Which is why I say my devices don’t serve my needs as an interface. Am I supposed to take the entire worlds workflow into consideration when deciding what works for me and what doesn’t, and am I not allowed to talk about it? Wtf is the purpose of a forum anyway? If you want an echo chamber I’m sure you can find those at any manufacturer forum or from what I hear, TGP.

The very first statement I made you replied to started with the word I. I. Me. My opinion. It’s one opinion. I talked about my workflow. Me mine. A singular workflow that works for me. Then I talked about MY experiences trying to repurpose my FAS stuff to do things I do with my interface and the trouble I had. Then I asked a question, relating to people producing music.

Ironically you then told me what my needs are from an interface has nothing to do with an interface being an interface because of YOUR workflow.

Yea basically an interface simply needs to be able to route audio into and out of a computer. This wouldn’t serve MOST needs of a music producer. I’m of the thought modelers don’t serve the needs of MANY music producers.
Not just me.
Not all.
But many.
If they did, there wouldn’t be so many users configurations involving external interfaces.

There is finally a comfort level you seem to be missing. Not everyone wants to do things to the bare minimum and wear it like some kind of badge of honor.

“I lived in this igloo for 6 months with nothing more than this Rambo knife and a picture of George McGovern”. That’s fantastic. The rest of us had power, heat, cars and supermarkets. You can do it. I acknowledged that so I’m not sure how exactly you attribute the contrary. You may see my workflow as clunky and inefficient. YOU may. I see my workflow as inspiring and creative. It really only needs to work for ME. But I’m on this thread to chat and share my experiences and hear about other workflows.

Now, if that’s all fine with you, we can carry on.

Last edited:
I think you can have the most overblown, convoluted rig ever OR the most barebones "studio" imaginable and not get shit done.

Ask me how I know
:bag:facepalm:sofa:rofl

I think you can have the most overblown, convoluted rig ever OR the most barebones "studio" imaginable and not get s**t done.

Ask me how I know
:bag:facepalm:sofa:rofl
I’m so with you on this. The more I add the less I get done. But it sure is fun.

Reactions: JT
Are the offset issues finally a thing of the past at this point?
My understanding is yes.

Personally, I wouldn't want to use it as my daily driver audio interface because it makes stuff like jamming to YouTube slightly more.complicated.

But if my studio were dedicated only to my actual recording rather than also to my guitar practicing, i wouldn't hesitate to use the Axe, Helix, or likely the QC as the interface for that purpose.

So far, having switched over from a dedicated hardware interface to Helix, have had no problems, and it makes some things easier (as a mediocre vocalist, being able to monitor with compression and reverb makes recording vocals a much less ego-destroying process).

My understanding is yes.

Personally, I wouldn't want to use it as my daily driver audio interface because it makes stuff like jamming to YouTube slightly more.complicated.

But if my studio were dedicated only to my actual recording rather than also to my guitar practicing, i wouldn't hesitate to use the Axe, Helix, or likely the QC as the interface for that purpose.

So far, having switched over from a dedicated hardware interface to Helix, have had no problems, and it makes some things easier (as a mediocre vocalist, being able to monitor with compression and reverb makes recording vocals a much less ego-destroying process).
I did one song with vocals. Never again. I make my wife sing after that

Back