Are tubes the answer?

Yeah that’s the knock-on effect of digital, everything morphing to a computer/software based interaction. There is a certain dorkification of gear with a lot of these solutions. (Noting I am a dork) The simplicity of an amp makes it a relatively pure and fun experience. Flip a switch, twist three or four knobs, hit an A chord and enjoy the roar.

Precisely this. And do note that I'm a huge tech dork as well! Love to tinker with computers, I have my own homelab server, I even work as a software engineer. But when it comes to music, I want to do precisely what you described! I'm a guitar player, not a sound engineer!

Tube amps are the answer...sometimes. Other times, modelers may be the better choice.

Recently I've been working on my chops and in that situation, plugging into a tube amp with no effects makes a lot of sense and has been a nice change of pace from using my Fractal gear.

Other times I want to fire up my Fryette or Rivera 100 watt full stacks and let it rip. As wonderful as my Axe III/dual CLR rig is, it's not the same thing.

But most of the time, the FM9 is my #1 choice with the tube amps providing a great alternative when the situation calls for it.

Back