Are tubes the answer?

Not necessarily, my kraken sounds great with just an ir and I talked to a guy who owns studio preamp and he uses it with just an Ir player between monitors and likes it. So I'm going to try it out. And then keep whitchever sound the best. Besides it's a classic preamp, I can sell it for sure for 1000-1200€. And I'll get here in EU 800-900 for my fm3 for sure. So I've really got nothing to lose and get to try really an old classic.
So you are saying that Victory Kraken (is this the preamp or amp?) -> IR -> studio monitors sounds great to you, but FM3 -> same IR -> studio monitors does not?

Tubes are always the answer and the best but if you insist using a computer then routing the guitar monitoring to a SINGLE monitor makes it feel a lot better compared to stereo.

So you are saying that Victory Kraken (is this the preamp or amp?) -> IR -> studio monitors sounds great to you, but FM3 -> same IR -> studio monitors does not?
Do you own fractal? It maybe the best modeler but it still is a modeler. Kraken preamp, I think it has 2 tubes in it. Sounds and feels better than fm3

Art and perception of gear and the product that gear produces is influenced a lot by how the gear looks, and what our brains think they "know" about what the gear is and what it is made up of. I suffered from this quite a bit when playing through digital gear. It never let me enjoy the practical benefits of digital gear and had me chasing the impracticalities of tubes and analog for far too long, and left a dent on my musical productivity. The way I battle it these days is by getting a better understanding of modeling. To me tones = signal running through circuits and tubes and power amps and speakers and hitting the ears. I realize now that digital modeling DOES emulate a lot of this. Aka digital tubes. Once I switched my perspective to digital gear as gear having digital "tubes" I was fine again and could hear and feel the tube-ness from my digital gear. Personal experience and journey. YMMV.

Do you own fractal? It maybe the best modeler but it still is a modeler. Kraken preamp, I think it has 2 tubes in it. Sounds and feels better than fm3
Yes I do, and have owned a bunch of tube amps as well, which I have confirmed to perform no better than a great modeler when running into IRs and studio monitors.

So I'm more convinced that the issue is not the FM3, but user error. So I recommend you explore if you can get it to your liking rather than jumping into buying an old preamp which has its own quirks and potentially might require repairs.

Connect the Kraken "Through" output to the FM3 Input 1.
Connect the Kraken "Loop Out" to FM3 Input 2.

Make a preset that looks like this:

Screenshot 2024-01-12 at 15.48.42.png

Now by turning the Kraken on/off, when off it should go through to IN2 -> Amp -> Cab -> OUT1 and otherwise just through the cab.

Start by using whatever IR you like with the Kraken so you rule out the cab sim.

Make sure your output levels match - the Kraken should not be louder than the Amp route.

Then try to figure out an amp model that would be closest to your Kraken. Since it's not modeled on Fractal, I'm guessing that maybe one of the Friedman or Bogner models might get you in the ballpark.

Now you can compare and try to figure out where it's going sideways for you.

Art and perception of gear and the product that gear produces is influenced a lot by how the gear looks, and what our brains think they "know" about what the gear is and what it is made up of. I suffered from this quite a bit when playing through digital gear. It never let me enjoy the practical benefits of digital gear and had me chasing the impracticalities of tubes and analog for far too long, and left a dent on my musical productivity. The way I battle it these days is by getting a better understanding of modeling. To me tones = signal running through circuits and tubes and power amps and speakers and hitting the ears. I realize now that digital modeling DOES emulate a lot of this. Aka digital tubes. Once I switched my perspective to digital gear as gear having digital "tubes" I was fine again and could hear and feel the tube-ness from my digital gear. Personal experience and journey. YMMV.
I have nothing against modeling, I've tried to like it more than I like. I get it's covinient. I get it has made gigging/practises easier, I get it sounds great in the mix. But I don't care none of that since I play only in one room. I do not need to consern myself of 'in the mix sound'. I just want a fu®©ing roaring distortion, big low end and lots of presence. I just 15minutes ago watched Leon's video of making 5minutes Petrucci tones. It sounded decent and would work "in the mix" but compared to videos I watched of studio preamp and quad preamp, it sounded 3.5/5 at the best while the real preamps sounded 5/5. Thats my take on this.

Reactions: SKU
I know I'm a huge advocate for get works for you and not the pros but Metallica, arguably one of the top mesa ambassadors, went from their mesa amps to fractal for live use.

I have to imagine that's a big vote of confidence. If it doesn't work for you it doesn't work. I agree with others my concern that it may be user error. That's all. Trying to save you the headache of chasing your tail

Cabs are the answer, if you’re wanting that more immersive in the room experience. What you feed to that cab (amp, modeler etc.) is kind of irrelevant.

Same as going to monitors. Once you run it back through IR’s to monitors it’s kinda irrelevant what’s feeding it. (Modeler, amp)

Playback method is the only distinguishing factor, not the source.

Yes I do, and have owned a bunch of tube amps as well, which I have confirmed to perform no better than a great modeler when running into IRs and studio monitors.

So I'm more convinced that the issue is not the FM3, but user error. So I recommend you explore if you can get it to your liking rather than jumping into buying an old preamp which has its own quirks and potentially might require repairs.

Connect the Kraken "Through" output to the FM3 Input 1.
Connect the Kraken "Loop Out" to FM3 Input 2.

Make a preset that looks like this:

View attachment 17195

Now by turning the Kraken on/off, when off it should go through to IN2 -> Amp -> Cab -> OUT1 and otherwise just through the cab.

Start by using whatever IR you like with the Kraken so you rule out the cab sim.

Make sure your output levels match - the Kraken should not be louder than the Amp route.

Then try to figure out an amp model that would be closest to your Kraken. Since it's not modeled on Fractal, I'm guessing that maybe one of the Friedman or Bogner models might get you in the ballpark.

Now you can compare and try to figure out where it's going sideways for you.
It's the lack of clarity mainly. I use kraken in the loop so I can do this what you suggested. And I've done it. I compared it then to revv purple2. I've tried eq block and everything but I liked kraken more. And I use mainly kraken's first channel witch is very marshall like. I can't get that kinda clarity and 3d like sound of fm3. I can get decent tones, better than Leon in that video I mentioned, but...there is always something lacking. I call it clarity. Note separation.

Cabs are the answer, if you’re wanting that more immersive in the room experience. What you feed to that cab (amp, modeler etc.) is kind of irrelevant.
When I still had a combo blackstar loaded with 1x12" did not like fm3 in the loop any more than now, maybe even less. I understand it's not the same as mesa poweramp and 2x12 recto cab.

When I still had a combo blackstar loaded with 1x12" did not like fm3 in the loop any more than now, maybe even less. I understand it's not the same as mesa poweramp and 2x12 recto cab.
Hate to do this, but I would blame the Blackstar here to be honest. It may be colouring the tone.

Hate to do this, but I would blame the Blackstar here to be honest. It may be colouring the tone.
Might be. But when and if I get that preamp, I sell witchever I dont like. It may end up being that mesa. But I've have to find out. Too good a deal to miss. I dont mind buying second hand and selling what I dont like. Only thing I've bought new is that fm3 2 years ago.

Seems like a lost cause, I know...

Might be. But when and if I get that preamp, I sell witchever I dont like. It may end up being that mesa. But I've have to find out. Too good a deal to miss. I dont mind buying second hand and selling what I dont like. Only thing I've bought new is that fm3 2 years ago.
My 2 cents, through all this troubleshooting, no matter the result, please hold on to your FM3 (or equivallent digital modeler), because when push comes to shove, modelers have been the answer (at east for me, for boosted musical productivity, playing in a band, playing gigs, jamming, exploring, convenience etc. etc.) People usually find themselves reaching back to a digital solution for something or the other at some point (and vice versa, which is okay!)

My 2 cents, through all this troubleshooting, no matter the result, please hold on to your FM3 (or equivallent digital modeler), because when push comes to shove, modelers have been the answer (at east for me, for boosted musical productivity, playing in a band, playing gigs, jamming, exploring, convenience etc. etc.) People usually find themselves reaching back to a digital solution for something or the other at some point (and vice versa, which is okay!)
I think they mentioned not having the financial fluidity to do this, unfortunately

Back