Are tubes the answer?

I'm really curious about this. I have HS7s and I'm thinking of replacing them with HS8s to have more body. Would that not be the case?

I know from experience that the HS7s have more high-end than the Dynacord AXM 12As I use live when at the same volume. But I like that because it keeps me cognizant of the high-end of how my tone will be more shrill when I turn up.

On the other hand, I'm not entirely sure which is the more accurate one. The Dynacord AXM 12As are great and have a lot of body. I don't think I can really replicate it with monitors, but I'd like to get as close as I can.

I’ve go no experience with the 7’s outside of the minute I listened to them at GC when I compared all 3 sizes. I really wasn’t focused on them because as soon as I heard the 8’s, I was hearing all the stuff I was missing in the 5’s. They’ve definitely got quite a bit of body to them, there’s no issues there.

My entire issue is just translating what I’ve been dialing in on those 5’s for years now, in on the 8’s, in the context of a mix. Not solo playing or anything.

Tube preamp plugged straight into yamaha hs7(ir loader in between them), good idea or not? Or tube preamp ->audio interface->daw->hs7?

HS7 is a powered monitor. So from the monitor. My IR loader has poweramp simulation, although I think it sounds better without.
Very interesting! Whatever works I suppose!

I personally would go into your audio interface prior to the studio monitors but that's just me. That way you can play backing tracks or whatever through your computer and you can record

Where is the power amp coming from? I feel like that would be ideal to have
The Hs-7s in either scenario.
Tube preamp plugged straight into yamaha hs7(ir loader in between them), good idea or not? Or tube preamp ->audio interface->daw->hs7?
what interface do you have? You should be able to monitor its inputs directly through the HS-7s before going into your DAW, which would be preferred from latency perspective (unless you need to use effects in your daw).

Very interesting! Whatever works I suppose!

I personally would go into your audio interface prior to the studio monitors but that's just me. That way you can play backing tracks or whatever through your computer and you can record
Yes. And I'd get my lovely eventide plugins and eq to use. But I thought if it would sound better totally skipping analog-digital conversion. One can experiment..

The Hs-7s in either scenario.

what interface do you have? You should be able to monitor its inputs directly through the HS-7s before going into your DAW, which would be preferred from latency perspective (unless you need to use effects in your daw).
Currently only fractal fm3 but if I get that preamp I'm after and it sounds good, I think I'll sell my fm3 and get a decent audio interface (cheap of course since that preamp I'm after is expensive).

What preamp are you looking at?
Mesa. And I should add that it's expensive for me, since I lost my job in november and should not be buying ANYTHING 😀. But if I'll get it and it works great, I'll finance it by selling my fm3. I do not need 300 amp sounds.

Mesa. And I should add that it's expensive for me, since I lost my job in november and should not be buying ANYTHING 😀. But if I'll get it and it works great, I'll finance it by selling my fm3. I do not need 300 amp sounds.
Triaxis?

The fractal line has been known to be pretty spot on to mesa amps but maybe you just need to try something new!

Triaxis?

The fractal line has been known to be pretty spot on to mesa amps but maybe you just need to try something new!
There still is a difference between modeling and the real deal. Plugins are getting really good too, I like bogren's MLC plugin more than my fractal. And it's not the only one.

No, not triaxis, although it's an option too.

I like bogren's MLC plugin more than my fractal.
Sure the fractal doesn't have that amp model so checks out lol I'll have to check it out!

There still is a difference between modeling and the real deal.
There definitely is! I think the differences will be minute though if you plan on playing through studio monitors anyway. Tube amps (imo) start to shine and show their differences most when played at loud volumes through a cab. Now, keep in mind I can't play a tube amp at loud volume but still would very much like to grow my collection

No, not triaxis, although it's an option too.
Which one are you thinking then??

MLC plugin is incredibly good in my opinnion. I also have gotten better tones out of neural slo100 plugin compared to fractal. So I have variety even if I end up selling fm3.

When I'll get a job and can afford bigger house then poweramp and 2x12" cab is an option so I dont always have to use only monitors.

Studio preamp I'm after.

MLC plugin is incredibly good in my opinnion. I also have gotten better tones out of neural slo100 plugin compared to fractal. So I have variety even if I end up selling fm3
If probably just sell the FM3 now and use what you like (SLO and MLC plugin). No use forcing the FM3.

I must try that preamp. I can always sell it if it doesn't work like I imagine it to work. But I've gotten good tones out of my kraken preamp so I'm hopeful.

IMO a terrible idea. You want a poweramp sim and a cab sim...and by that point you could just use a full digital simulation.

Instead of buying something new, I'd try solving whatever issue you might have with the FM3 because it's a device that can sound absolutely stellar so the hardware should not be an issue here. Maybe try e.g factory resetting it in case there is something weird going on.

Man, if you don’t have previous experience with Mesa Mark stuff, that Studio Preamp may be a bigger box of confusion/frustration than the FM3!

IMO a terrible idea. You want a poweramp sim and a cab sim...and by that point you could just use a full digital simulation.

Instead of buying something new, I'd try solving whatever issue you might have with the FM3 because it's a device that can sound absolutely stellar so the hardware should not be an issue here. Maybe try e.g factory resetting it in case there is something weird going on.
Not necessarily, my kraken sounds great with just an ir and I talked to a guy who owns studio preamp and he uses it with just an Ir player between monitors and likes it. So I'm going to try it out. And then keep whitchever sound the best. Besides it's a classic preamp, I can sell it for sure for 1000-1200€. And I'll get here in EU 800-900 for my fm3 for sure. So I've really got nothing to lose and get to try really an old classic.

Back