Andy Eagle ( Guitar repair tech for 30 years )

Okay, I brought it to the shop where I got it, as it was also a good excuse to try a Custom Shop Strat they just listed, anyway. :grin

They said it may need to be replaced, but they'll try to fix it without doing that, first. Sales guy (who is very knowledgeable, this isn't Guitar Center, ha), said it seemed so loose/off, it may need total replacement, too. (I'm actually wondering if I F'd something up worse, in my efforts to fix it.)

Either way, they will have it ready for my gig on the weekend, so all good!

Thanks again, @Eagle and not-Eagles!

Just reporting back that they were able to fix it without replacing it, and got it done quick for my weekend gig. :headbang

Hello @Eagle !

I have an SG that I'm looking at upgrading a bit.

Looking at the StringButler contraption.

Are you familiar? What are your thoughts?

Thank you in advance for your time.

Hello @Eagle !

They work but only if your nut slots are cut straight and parallel to each other. If the D and G nut slots are angled the String Butler will make things worse. I’ll take pictures. Hold please.

I improved my tuning stability by winding the strings up on the posts instead of down. @Eagle mentioned that trick earlier and I tried it and it does help.

Last edited:
They work but only if your nut slots are cut straight and parallel to each other. If the D and G nut slots are angled the String Butler will make things worse. I’ll take pictures. Hold please.

I improved my tuning stability by winding the strings up on the posts instead of down. @Eagle mentioned that trick earlier and I tried it and it does help.
Mine is cut straight. For the mild expense, it may prove valuable.

Hello everyone.
A few words of introduction;
I have been a repair tech full time for 30 years and on the side of a proper job before that. I also work with collectors, insurance and auction houses authenticating vintage and ex rock star gear.
Basically if you have an issue I have more than likely seen it before.
I firmly advocate that there is objectively good and bad in both music (not for this column) and musical instruments and it is far from just opinion. I base what I write on my experience and empirical data if available and have no affiliation with any companies as this would compromise my ability to say what I find and this is why people come to me in the first instance. I also call myself a repair tech not a luthier because I deal mostly with a diagnostic approach to solving peoples problems and not scratch building .

So as the title says;

Ask me anything!
Andy, can you draw a diagram of how to wire one pickup to a volume pot and an output jack ?

Thanks in advance !

:chef

Andy, can you draw a diagram of how to wire one pickup to a volume pot and an output jack ?

Thanks in advance !

:chef
Here's a quick down and dirty, basic drawing.

1 pickup.png

Hello @Eagle !

A well cut nut and wind strings up instead of down and it’s not needed. I have never seen a Gibson that can’t be made to work by this method. Oh and tun UP to pitch never down.

Hey @Eagle

Can you recommend a slightly cheap, but okay 6 screw strat trem?

I still have this HB Strat that was originally a kit and I really love playing it. It just fits. Changed the tuning pegs and the pickups and the only thing left is the horrible stock trem. What's your go-to if you don't want (or you can't) install a 100€+ Babicz trem?

A well cut nut and wind strings up instead of down and it’s not needed. I have never seen a Gibson that can’t be made to work by this method. Oh and tun UP to pitch never down.
I've always tuned up to pitch, as a matter of fact.....it surprises me to hear it recommended so much around here ...I thought everyone did it that way ..but thanks. I understand about the nut and winding too....

Thanks, again.....

So that's a no on the string butler.....it's cool.....

Hey @Eagle

Can you recommend a slightly cheap, but okay 6 screw strat trem?

I still have this HB Strat that was originally a kit and I really love playing it. It just fits. Changed the tuning pegs and the pickups and the only thing left is the horrible stock trem. What's your go-to if you don't want (or you can't) install a 100€+ Babicz trem?
This is the best budget 6 screw for function.
The stock vintage gotoh is great too but it has the same issues as a vintage Fender bridge.

@Eagle got any recommendations for a saddle upgrade on the Player II strat bridge? I didn't love the way the screws on the rolled saddles dig into my picking hand.

Yeah, that’s like my Les Paul. I do have a String Butler on it. You can see that the nut slots are straight.
View attachment 26723

As opposed to the SG that has the angled nut slots.
View attachment 26724
I had a guy that I trusted at the time, replace the stock nut with a tusq, and replace the saddles with tusq .... because the metal ones don't last very long under my sweaty hands.

He obviously didn't use/cut the correct one, or erred on the side of caution, thinking the pinch would be better on the back side than front side of the nut...not sure. I was very busy around this time and hired out my work due to endless travel for work....where I repaired and maintained electronic equipment....so I didn't want to do it myself.

Paying for it now....

I'm going to try the butler, and adapter for the vintage tuners....for now, because it is the most economical option for me, and my current ability to do the work without proper tools. (Cutting blank correctly, proper slots....the whole shebang...not a solid skill for me....yet.)

I know what the ideal scenario should be, but I am poor, so I hope this works until I can get it fixed.

Also, @Eagle I will do my best to wind up the post, which is a suggestion I knew of...and never remembered, until halfway through a string change.

Thanks again all for the wisdom.

Hell @Eagle what are your thoughts and experience with this Bridge and Locking tuners
  • Babicz FCH 2-Point Z-Series C full contact tremolo
    Sung-Il ML-55 locking machine heads

Again thank you for your valued Input

Cheers

Mike

Back