Andy Eagle ( Guitar repair tech for 30 years )

Edit - I have bent the tabs with success before, but also made things worse.

That's what I'm getting afraid of! The shop where I bought it is 10min from my house, and is renowned for great repairs and setups, so I'm going to bring it there tomorrow. Hoping they can do a quick tweak without me having to leave it there.

Im sure you're in good hands.

For sure! Although @la szum and @TSJMajesty have me wanting to mess with it more now...

Should I Do It GIF by MasterChefAU

For sure! Although @la szum and @TSJMajesty have me wanting to mess with it more now...
Actually, after picturing it in my mind a bit further, to do what I'm thinking, you'd have to remove the switch.

Ehhh, wait, wait..., now I thought even more..., they do make long-nose pliers that have a 90 degree hook on the end, that would allow you to reach the contact springs with the switch still installed. I think one of those contacts just needs to be bent a bit, but probably w/o bending the others. I'd really have to see it, and operate it to see what's going on.

(This is all assuming I've got the right mental image in my mind, and am correct in what I think is the problem. It's probably been 4 decades since I've even seen that switch!)

Hey Andy, I'm having an issue with the pickup selector switch of my new-to-me '73 LP Classic. It won't stay in the bridge position and keeps popping to the middle position.

I've tried unscrewing the plastic tip a bit, to see if that's stopping it from seating fully, but that doesn't help. Also took off the back cover but it doesn't seem like there's much I can do there?

I have a gig this weekend and really want to use the guitar, but may not be able to, if I can't fix this. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance. :beer
It’s nothing to do with the tip.
It’s fatigue on the switch spring levers that somebody has at some stage bent in a bit. You need to drop out the switch and carefully observe the interaction between the plastic piece on the bottom and the levers . It should be visually apparent what is happening wrong. You then need to bend them back to the original positions and observe.

Last edited:
The position of the inner two govern the electrical switching and the outer two largely the physical. BUT the inner two need to be bent to accommodate the mechanical functions of the outer two and still make the contacts when they are supposed too. Just look carefully at it while switching.

Okay, I brought it to the shop where I got it, as it was also a good excuse to try a Custom Shop Strat they just listed, anyway. :grin

They said it may need to be replaced, but they'll try to fix it without doing that, first. Sales guy (who is very knowledgeable, this isn't Guitar Center, ha), said it seemed so loose/off, it may need total replacement, too. (I'm actually wondering if I F'd something up worse, in my efforts to fix it.)

Either way, they will have it ready for my gig on the weekend, so all good!

Thanks again, @Eagle and not-Eagles!

Hello @Eagle was wondering if you have any information or experience with the Schecter Diamond 351 Pickups, i scoured the webs and could not find anything spec wise, was wondering if you had any info on these
as always much appreciated Andy

Cheers

Mike

Hello @Eagle was wondering if you have any information or experience with the Schecter Diamond 351 Pickups, i scoured the webs and could not find anything spec wise, was wondering if you had any info on these
as always much appreciated Andy

Cheers

Mike
I can’t find the specs but they are custom built by G&B for this model.

Seems like PRS and Even ESP LTD and a lot of Mii guitars source G&B, id imagine they are all custom built to each manufactures request

1723648637096.png

Hi Andy,

I recently upgraded my strat with new pickups complete with pots and wiring. The volume pot shaft wobbles a bit and I was wondering if there's anyway to tighten it? As far as I can tell the looseness/slop is independent of its rotation.

It may be a dual volume pot but it doesn't look like one, the bridge pickup is 500k and the middle and neck are 250k, I'm guessing there's something on the switchboard that's lowering the pot value for the neck and middle pickups. You might be able to advise on that too, thanks!

Hi Andy,

I recently upgraded my strat with new pickups complete with pots and wiring. The volume pot shaft wobbles a bit and I was wondering if there's anyway to tighten it? As far as I can tell the looseness/slop is independent of its rotation.

It may be a dual volume pot but it doesn't look like one, the bridge pickup is 500k and the middle and neck are 250k, I'm guessing there's something on the switchboard that's lowering the pot value for the neck and middle pickups. You might be able to advise on that too, thanks!

I’m sorry to say the only way would be better pots . I would just use them as they are if the functionality is there. They are unfortunately just low quality.

Back