Andy Eagle ( Guitar repair tech for 30 years )

Thanks. I will play it on my next visit.

I don't know the technical stuff. Does a guitar neck/ truss rod etc. get damaged if a tuned guitar has been left just like that, for a while?

After a pickup change a problem has developed with the tone knob on a Huber Krauster ll. The knob has a push/pull pot that also serves as a coil splitter for the bridge (HB) pickup. The splitter functions as expected. But when the tone knob is rotated there is a loud scratching noise that sounds like a really dirty pot. Spraying it with a cleaner had no effect. Then we noticed that the noise only happens when there is sound being generated by strumming the strings. When the pot is rotated and the pickups (whether the neck, bridge, or both) aren’t generating a signal there is absolutely no noise. The tech tore everything apart again and resoldered everything but no luck. He’s flummoxed at this point. Is it possible that the pot has gone bad. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

After a pickup change a problem has developed with the tone knob on a Huber Krauster ll. The knob has a push/pull pot that also serves as a coil splitter for the bridge (HB) pickup. The splitter functions as expected. But when the tone knob is rotated there is a loud scratching noise that sounds like a really dirty pot. Spraying it with a cleaner had no effect. Then we noticed that the noise only happens when there is sound being generated by strumming the strings. When the pot is rotated and the pickups (whether the neck, bridge, or both) aren’t generating a signal there is absolutely no noise. The tech tore everything apart again and resoldered everything but no luck. He’s flummoxed at this point. Is it possible that the pot has gone bad. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
This is difficult without the instrument.
Does the pot feel smooth when rotating it?

The next test would be disconnect the tone function ( leaving the pot in the guitar and the coil tap alone) and using croc clips connect another pot up as a tone . If that fixes it you are good to go. It can sometimes be a bad cap , particularly if it is a paper in oil . Perhaps try that first.

The next test would be disconnect the tone function ( leaving the pot in the guitar and the coil tap alone) and using croc clips connect another pot up as a tone . If that fixes it you are good to go. It can sometimes be a bad cap , particularly if it is a paper in oil . Perhaps try that first.
He already tried another cap. Will try the clips when he gets back from holidays. Thanks for the tip. It’s funny because the tone control works. It’s just that it makes a god awful noise if you rotate it when there’s signal going through. As soon as you stop rotating the noise stops, the tone is changed, and everything is per normal.

It’s just that it makes a god awful noise if you rotate it when there’s signal going through.

1725115195871.png

One thing worth mentioning is unless the push pull is the cts one it will be likely to fail . The other versions you commonly see are very poor quality.
Is it one of these?
IMG_3822.jpeg

If not I would put this in anyway.

One thing worth mentioning is unless the push pull is the cts one it will be likely to fail . The other versions you commonly see are very poor quality.
Is it one of these?
View attachment 27646
If not I would put this in anyway.
Thanks Andy. The pot is the original that came with the Krauster. I’m working on the assumption that it has failed. I hope a cts will work as they are readily available. The problem that might arise is that the space is very constrained. I’ll check with Huber.

Last edited:
@Eagle

Check this one out. First 3 frets from a 2011 Les Paul R8.
Definitely seen lots of open chords and looks like the player had a habit of pulling the high E sharp
with open D's and G's.

Ever seen one similar?

bdvz7copurbpdxvkcmn7.jpg

bdvz7copurbpdxvkcmn7.jpg

Back