Andy Eagle ( Guitar repair tech for 30 years )

Thanks! Will J/P bass pickup screws be OK or are they too long?

I’m having an easier time finding 35mm than 25mm but I wasn’t sure if they’d be too long.

I guess it’s hard to know without knowing the dimensions of the body
Depends on the pickup as well. It’s easy to work out though. Just be sure to measure it so you don’t go through.

Hi Andy, do you have experience with the FU-Tone trem? Suhr is putting it on the new Pete Thorn model.

1720813448852.png

Hi Andy, do you have experience with the FU-Tone trem? Suhr is putting it on the new Pete Thorn model.

View attachment 25190
It’s a budget ping unit with branding. GFS sells the OEM model for $79 retail. It’s functional but at $300 base price for the exact same unit branding and mark up are horrendous. FU as a company was set up predicated on the fact that EVH had a big brass block on 5150 . It doesn’t, it has the stock steel block. Titanium is also a ridiculous choice for FR parts, softer and thin sounding compared to hardened steel. Don’t start me on the rest.🤣

It’s a budget ping unit with branding. GFS sells the OEM model for $79 retail. It’s functional but at $300 base price for the exact same unit branding and mark up are horrendous. FU as a company was set up predicated on the fact that EVH had a big brass block on 5150 . It doesn’t, it has the stock steel block. Titanium is also a ridiculous choice for FR parts, softer and thin sounding compared to hardened steel. Don’t start me on the rest.🤣
I guess Suhr didn't do their homework on that choice.

I guess Suhr didn't do their homework on that choice.
I would guess it was Pete’s choice. Suhr also only fit the Korean FRT1000 when they use OFR. Once again it works but it isn’t a premium option. In fairness it is a lot better than it used to be but still .

Here is a link to the FU2 trem without the logo and with upgraded hardened steel bolts and string blocks. Oh and $76 retail.
The arm mech here is the old style one that they used when this was also the PV Wolfgang trem.

The FU1 trem was a rebranded 1996 but that didn't have enough mark up at twice as expensive retail for the FU brand.
Never seen a connecting plate like this:

1721080904265.png

Never seen a connecting plate like this:

View attachment 25276
It’s a solution to the problem of leaning posts in very soft wood. It’s not needed in a well designed rout even with basswood but if that is used in a recessed fit it can offer a great deal of additional solidity. A ping exclusive. Note the studs in the assembly are the ones used in the PV Wolfgang.

Hello Andy hope all is well (y)

Say have you any experience or feed back On these made in China Guitars, the Brand is Shijie hand crafted, DB does a teardown of it it seems to be quite impressive
any thoughts ?

Time stamped -->

Hello Andy hope all is well (y)

Say have you any experience or feed back On these made in China Guitars the Brand is Shijie hand crafted DB does a teardown of it it seems to be quite impressive
any thoughts ?

Time stamped -->

This guy is a total charlatan. The guitar is pretty good in my estimation from the half dozen that I have seen but no better the the same cost Cort. This guy tells you nothing about the actual spec or details of anything. Own brand parts are easy to make look expensive and will be coming in at a fraction of tried and tested ones. This stuff is way better than total shit from Sire and the like but it costs exactly what it should . The stuff that is a really shit deal is the original Duesenburg models that were like this with a shroud of obfuscation and a ticket price of something actually good.

This guy is a total charlatan. The guitar is pretty good in my estimation from the half dozen that I have seen but no better the the same cost Cort. This guy tells you nothing about the actual spec or details of anything. Own brand parts are easy to make look expensive and will be coming in at a fraction of tried and tested ones. This stuff is way better than total shit from Sire and the like but it costs exactly what it should .
Oh yes I only watched it to see the Guts teardown of the Axe, Shielding is a nice touch and Brass block, wiring looks good as well and from my eye (no where near as good as yours) the fit and finish seems nice
Price is not too bad either ~$1350.00 CDN funds was looking at it as a possible contender to the Schecter Nick Johnston SSS trad that I'm looking at

:idk

Oh yes I only watched it to see the Guts teardown of the Axe, Shielding is a nice touch and Brass block, wiring looks good as well and from my eye (no where near as good as yours) the fit and finish seems nice
Price is not too bad either ~$1350.00 CDN funds was looking at it as a possible contender to the Schecter Nick Johnston SSS trad that I'm looking at

:idk
It's as good or better than the Schecter. Resale is about $5 though if you decide to swap it down the line. I would cherry pick an AZ premium over it every day of the week though.

Resale is about $5 though
For sure aint nobody knows the brand so not much resale value that is the caveat
And yes I love my AZ42P1 its awesome but no SSS in the Premium only Prestige and thats out of my budget
seems that its still the NJ trad SSS on the top of my list (yes there is a list) :grin
Again thank you for your valued input Andy always much appreciated

:chef

This guy is a total charlatan. The guitar is pretty good in my estimation from the half dozen that I have seen but no better the the same cost Cort. This guy tells you nothing about the actual spec or details of anything. Own brand parts are easy to make look expensive and will be coming in at a fraction of tried and tested ones. This stuff is way better than total shit from Sire and the like but it costs exactly what it should . The stuff that is a really shit deal is the original Duesenburg models that were like this with a shroud of obfuscation and a ticket price of something actually good.

My best buddy has been caught up in the tidal wave of cheap new imports from
China. He's chucked out a couple of grand on these guitars, and is suckered in
by those YT influencers who peddle in them. He could have had a couple of
really good guitars, and likely one great one for the $$$ he has chucked into those
duds. He'll never get his $$$ out of them either when it comes to resale. :facepalm

Darrel is the shopping channel so you can trust his videos about that same.

Precisely! He and his brother Darrel and his other brother Darrel. :LOL:

Not everyone always appreciates your directness and no nonsense
approach. That said, we need more straight shooters in this land of
chronic and constant propaganda and profiteering. Integrity matters
to some of us. :beer

Andy,

I came across a Tom Murphy R8 with really bad flaking on the neck finish. The seller claims that the flaking occurred when he took the guitar to a luthier to have the frets "shaved". The luthier used masking tape to "protect" the neck, and when he removed the tape he also pulled the finish off of the neck. The seller told me that he's willing to sell for $3,000, which is great price for a Murphy R8. However, I believe that he's trying make a sale without giving me the full story. I am thinking about offering him $2,500 because this kind of damage, plus the fact that he "shaved" the frets down, greatly devalues the instrument. But I'm still leery of making this purchase, even at $2,500. Do you have any thoughts about this? I don't know what a quality refin costs, but after a refin it isn't a Murphy Lab anymore. I'm not sure what the value of a guitar like this is. The guy lives about 30 minutes from me and I have actually played the guitar yet. Any thoughts, other than the "luthier" is a butcher? These pics are from the seller:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Back