Andy Eagle ( Guitar repair tech for 30 years )

This is the problem;
IMG_3550.jpeg

Made considerably worse by the lack of a spliced head and the angle.
They have done it better in the past but the fans wanted it back like a 59.
IMG_3551.jpeg

Even this massively increased the wood in the weakest spot and reduced the angle from 17 to 14 degrees. This would prevent 90% or common breaking.

It would benefit from something but that one is 50% appearances. Half the extra material is serving no structural purpose. Gibson would benefit from reducing the head angle and adding a small volute.

You know I'm being entirely sarcastic, right? :rofl

Les Pauls are perfection as is man!

@Eagle what would you replace these with?
IMG_3294.jpeg

MIM Strat (not my photo). Looking for something to get rid of the sloppy lash. No frills. 18:1 perhaps. Gotoh?

The Gotoh sd91. You can get stagger hight post ,top or rear locking or just regular. IMO they are the best option. You can get similar from other brands but they aren’t as good. Also a well made set with even 12/1 ratio is better than a sloppy 18/1 and can have less backlash. The backlash is the play in the worm gear to the cog and more important in the performance than the ratio.

Also a well made set with even 12/1 ratio is better than a sloppy 18/1 and can have less backlash. The backlash is the play in the worm gear to the cog and more important in the performance than the ratio.
100% Nothing irritates me more than over-shooting when tuning up due to backlash. I’ll check the Gotoh’s out. Thanks man!

I’ve got an acoustic guitar that has an odd issue. The strings resonate and buzz loudly against the frets behind the fretting hand when I play the low strings on the 7th fret. I can get the same result if I capo the 7th fret. I can get rid of the buzzing by muting strings behind the capo.

Any thoughts on how to address that issue?

I’ve got an acoustic guitar that has an odd issue. The strings resonate and buzz loudly against the frets behind the fretting hand when I play the low strings on the 7th fret. I can get the same result if I capo the 7th fret. I can get rid of the buzzing by muting strings behind the capo.

Any thoughts on how to address that issue?
A video would help me see what is going on.

I was going to ask this question on the prs forum but thought I'd check here first. The prs forum aren't the most helpful bunch in my experience.

I've had some tuning issues with my CE22 and fixed most of them by replacing the trem springs. The only issue I have left is my tuners have been pretty stiff for a long time. I took the buttons off last night and found out why.

1000053905.jpg

I left it into a tech a few years ago for some work and when I collected it he told me he'd tightened up some loose screws. I wasn't particularly enamoured with his work so never used him again. I was also playing my les paul a lot more and didn't associate the stiffness of my tuners to this visit. I'm assuming he's tightened the shit out of the buttons and deformed the washers underneath. I hadn't put 2 and 2 together until last night.

These are from the Phase I winged tuners which don't share the d+G mounting hole. Do you think I'd be able to get a set of these washers or should I just try and get new tuners? Any idea of which tuners will fit 2000 CE? I'm pretty sure the phase ii will fit but I think I'd rather grab some gotohs If I can't fix the winged tuners.

I was going to ask this question on the prs forum but thought I'd check here first. The prs forum aren't the most helpful bunch in my experience.

I've had some tuning issues with my CE22 and fixed most of them by replacing the trem springs. The only issue I have left is my tuners have been pretty stiff for a long time. I took the buttons off last night and found out why.

View attachment 23911

I left it into a tech a few years ago for some work and when I collected it he told me he'd tightened up some loose screws. I wasn't particularly enamoured with his work so never used him again. I was also playing my les paul a lot more and didn't associate the stiffness of my tuners to this visit. I'm assuming he's tightened the shit out of the buttons and deformed the washers underneath. I hadn't put 2 and 2 together until last night.

These are from the Phase I winged tuners which don't share the d+G mounting hole. Do you think I'd be able to get a set of these washers or should I just try and get new tuners? Any idea of which tuners will fit 2000 CE? I'm pretty sure the phase ii will fit but I think I'd rather grab some gotohs If I can't fix the winged tuners.
Are those the washers between the buttons and tuners?

Are those the washers between the buttons and tuners?

Yeah it looks like when the tech said he'd tightened up loose screws he meant these. He basically crushed them between the button and the tuner body.

I had assumed the tuners were seized a little because I hadn't used that guitar in a while. Once I loosened the screws a bit they all turn a lot easier but all of the washers are either bent or completely destroyed like the one on the right.

Back