A mild grumble+warning about IK Multimedia & Amplitube 5 Max

Yeah but they don’t make money from a vibrant used market of their pedal, how else are they going to recoup the cost of development for their X-effect pedals? :p
The talk about HX Native is missing the forest for the trees given how much of ToneX's functionality as a hardware unit depends on the software. A more similar, but still distant, comparison, would be if a new Helix unit came with a non-transferable license to HX edit and HX edit wasn't freely available on the Line6 website.

You keep saying this. You can get a free version of Tone X software that will let you interact with the pedal. You aren't sitting with a busted pedal by missing out on Max vs Free Tone X.
The hardware is designed to host captures. If the free software limits you to only 20 total capture downloads...it is a severely more limited product compared to one coupled to MAX.

The hardware is designed to host captures. If the free software limits you to only 20 total capture downloads...it is a severely more limited product compared to one coupled to MAX.
That's true. I think an easy fix would be to just make CS (Free) have unlimited capture storage like the rest of them.

The way you phrases your comments is that there is no way to edit your pedal without Max.

TONEX CS is fine for trying out the software. But the pedal should at least include at dumbed-down
utility version (I.e. no capture functionality, no tweaking presets from the software, Tone.Net integration, etc.) that lets you have unadulterated access to the pedal’s on-board storage.

Tesla, for example, lets owners slow charge their vehicles for free from any standard power source. You want access to the Supercharger network?

$$$

Edit: @Mongillo19 beat me to it.

Last edited:
That's true. I think an easy fix would be to just make CS (Free) have unlimited capture storage like the rest of them.

The way you phrases your comments is that there is no way to edit your pedal without Max.
No. The same way you can still edit a Helix product without HX edit. HX Native doesn't really add/improve functionality to a hardware Helix; HX Edit does improve functionality of the hardware unit. So in that regard it is more akin to ToneX MAX. Except that MAX adds waaaaaay more functionality to ToneX than HX edit does.

I think we can both agree that there is a lot to love about IK technology - as I noted above I really dig AT4, Fender 2, Mesa and Orange Collections and I bet I'd love the tones from ToneX.

We seem to have different feelings about their software licensing structures/bundling, and the clarity with which they market those licenses. No biggie. :beer

Yeah it's a banger of a deal

I’ve owned the HX Effects but I’ve never used any of their amp modeling. That’s a pretty sick deal. Wonder if I can find a “demo” one to cheapskate my way into an even better deal. :ROFLMAO:

2 predictions, in case IKMM won't change their policies re: 2nd hand Tonex sales.

1) No informed folks will purchase a used Tonex pedal for anything more than, say, 100-150 bucks unless they already own Tonex MAX.
Hence, as a seller you'll lose a lot of money.

2) There will still be uninformed folks you could sell the pedal to. All you need to do as a seller is to not tell those folks they're essentially purchasing a pedal lacking the single most purchase-worthy feature (namely loading profiles onto it).

Both of these do at least have a potential to stir a lot of trouble. If I were IKMM, I'd rather change my policies and allow to sell the Tonex software purchased along with the pedal. Ideally, they could come up with a version that'd only start once the pedal is connected (dongle-style).

Last edited:
i like Amplitube, Max is definitively worth its price imo, for the amount of stuff thats actually in there. I was kinda bummed X pedals effects wasn’t included but totally understandable imo. New amp models (non profile models) should be automatically included to a current Max owner imo.
What I didn’t like was the looper that clearly hogs more power than it needs, and is very unstable to say the least. That was actually my tipping point for an otherwise super cool app. Just my small foray into trying to make a home rig out of a computer… seems hardware modeler is still the best option for the homeplayer, at least for the “all round” package.

There will be people out there who got the ToneX software and thought, “wow, this is great. I’d love to be able to take it on the road with me.”

For these people, buying a cheap used ToneX pedal without ToneX Max shouldn’t be an issue. And because the software is not bundled it lowers the resale value which is great for the buyer.

Back