A mild grumble+warning about IK Multimedia & Amplitube 5 Max

Take a hit and pass it down!
1678748694296.gif

I appreciate the suggestion but have to be honest that isn't likely to be implemented as most sales/marketing materials will shy away from the "doesn't" "don't" "won't" etc type of vibe.
I get it, totally. It's a shame, but it is what it is.

@everyone else - if we extend the right to playfully insult each other and have an informal atmosphere, we have to extend that to company rep's. Let's not be hypocrites, plenty of that over at THE FRETBOARD DOT CO DOT UK YES I SAID IT AGAIN COZ THEY ARE RIGHT ARSEHOLES OVER THERE!!

Also TGP. Run by buttholes. For buttholes.

Well yeah ideally you would spend less than new when buying used. Maybe around $250?

Not to name other companies but I fail to see how this is different than what line 6 is offering right now with the HX stomp. Buy new and you get native and metallurgy (sp?) That's a $500 or so software bundle. But maybe you can transfer that software? So you have to determine if the used market is at a price point for the product that without the software, you would be interested vs buying new? For Tone X I'd spend $250 or so used for the pedal. But as I mentioned, I thought $400 was fair for solely the pedal and didn't even know about the bundled software until I read more into it.

But if you are making the point that the used market should be reduced to about $100 to account for the lack of software that is available when buying new, I think we both know that just doesn't make sense
HX Stomp is a $700 pedal that comes with a fully transferable discount on Helix Native that the purchaser of the pedal can choose to redeem or not, and the software is also transferable.

so much for "a mild grumble" lol

I like IK Multimedia and their products so own quite a bit of their stuff, be it hardware or software.

I may have a mild grumble but they never really let me down.

enjoy your gear but steer clear of NDSP, just sayin'

Leaving aside the issue of Helix Native (the software being transferable is a class move), if you buy a used HX Stomp it is fully functional. HX Edit works, updates work, there are no hidden gotchas.

Yes, you can use the TONEX pedal with free version of the software BUT you are limited to 20 downloads. It has the appearance of being adequate but in reality for all intents and purposes without being able to download captures at will the pedal is moribund. So the prospective buyer is going to have to purchase a $149 licensed version of the software to compliment the pedal. Which means if you were to realize a perfect sale and given the conditions completely recoup your investment the best you could ask is $250. But more realistically, having driven the buggy off the parking lot you’re more likely only going to be able to realize a price in the $50-$150 range. Not exactly a ‘wow’ proposition.

I appreciate the suggestion but have to be honest that isn't likely to be implemented as most sales/marketing materials will shy away from the "doesn't" "don't" "won't" etc type of vibe.
Here is a great example of a sales/marketing materials for a seller of software bundles that doesn't shy away from making it clear what is AND isn't komplete, er, complete, about the various bundles they sell. I could link to Ableton Live's similar table where they make it clear what parts of Ableton is or aren't included in the various levels of the software they sell.

Helix Native is neither a subscription, nor described as "MAX" and allows free updates all the time so that regardless of when you dropped your cash on it, you always have the latest complete package. People around here love that.

Very true - but I guess it's fair to take into account that Line 6 is largely selling hardware whereas IKMM is largely selling software, so they need to generate their profits there.
Sort of comparable to Apple. They don't need to generate any noteworthy profit from Logic, it's more like a vehicle to sell more computers, hence when you bought it in 2013 (when LPX was released) you haven't paid a single penny for updates in 10 years, whereas Steinberg will charge you something between 50-150 (depending on when you buy) for Cubase each year (and the initial cost is vastly higher, too).

I'm not exactly defending IKMM, though, their entire portfolio, installation management and what not is certainly not winning any prices for user-friendliness, to put it quite mildly.

HX Stomp is a $700 pedal that comes with a fully transferable discount on Helix Native that the purchaser of the pedal can choose to redeem or not, and the software is also transferable.

No, from all I know, in case the pedal was registered, the discount won't be valid anymore (at least that was the case when I bought my Floor, so we had to go for a little trickery as the seller got a Stomp instead, so I was using that registration). You can possibly transfer your account, though, no idea.

Leaving aside the issue of Helix Native (the software being transferable is a class move), if you buy a used HX Stomp it is fully functional. HX Edit works, updates work, there are no hidden gotchas.

Yes, you can use the TONEX pedal with free version of the software BUT you are limited to 20 downloads. It has the appearance of being adequate but in reality for all intents and purposes without being able to download captures at will the pedal is moribund. So the prospective buyer is going to have to purchase a $149 licensed version of the software to compliment the pedal. Which means if you were to realize a perfect sale and given the conditions completely recoup your investment the best you could ask is $250. But more realistically, having driven the buggy off the parking lot you’re more likely only going to be able to realize a price in the $50-$150 range. Not exactly a ‘wow’ proposition.

Yeah, that's quite awkward. IMO IKMM should come up with an option to transfer Tonex Max along with the pedal.

Here is a great example of a sales/marketing materials for a seller of software bundles that doesn't shy away from making it clear what is AND isn't komplete, er, complete, about the various bundles they sell. I could link to Ableton Live's similar table where they make it clear what parts of Ableton is or aren't included in the various levels of the software they sell.

I love side-by-side comparison tables!

No, from all I know, in case the pedal was registered, the discount won't be valid anymore (at least that was the case when I bought my Floor, so we had to go for a little trickery as the seller got a Stomp instead, so I was using that registration). You can possibly transfer your account, though, no idea.
The software itself has a transferable license, so it shouldn't take too much in the way of shenanigans to make sure everybody gets what they want/expected in the used market.

I just bought a used Captor X and the seller removed the license from their account so I could register it in my name and get access to the wall of sound plugin and the cabs which came with it. It was an absolutely painless process.

How is amplitude 5 BTW? I haven't used amplitube since about 2008.

The software itself has a transferable license, so it shouldn't take too much in the way of shenanigans to make sure everybody gets what they want/expected in the used market.

Sure. But for whatever reasons, back when I bought the Floor, something apparently wasn't just as easy - but maybe it was the seller not willing to deal with it (didn't investigate as I was sorted anyway).
What's the transfer fee Line 6 is calling up?

Yeah but they don’t make money from a vibrant used market of their pedal, how else are they going to recoup the cost of development for their X-effect pedals? :p

Back