A mild grumble+warning about IK Multimedia & Amplitube 5 Max

we feel listing specifically what you get and the available information also spells out what is included.
IMO that actually works against you because of the sheer amount of stuff in Amplitube. You have to really take a lot of time to go through all the items to see if there is something you actually need missing if you want to save some money.

I think a lot of this stuff would work much better if it was formatted as "this next tier up gets all of the previous things plus these things". The Tonex differences for example are clearer.

For more ideas, please upgrade to laxu Pro Max Ultra Turbo edition!

Personally, I encourage manufacturers to be more snarky on this forum. 😂

FWIW, I do to. I’ve worked some form of customer service for my entire working life and I’m very much not a fan of the “I bought your product so you have to kiss my ass now”. That never flew for me as a restaurant manager and it doesn’t fly with me now as someone who handles tenants that pay us rent.

There’s not a robot on the other end of a username and really, some of the pot shots taken at these guys are quite unfair. In Pete’s case, he’s one dude in a bigger company, it’s not like he can read a message and all of a sudden get the entire company to implement some changes within seconds. Or look at Cliff on TGP and the crap he’d take on over there.

Hahaha I argued with a CFO once over this, they were going for the “Customer is always right” thing, so I said “Ok, so if a tenant says they don’t want to pay rent for a month because they don’t feel like, are they in the right or wrong?”

That may have been a nice thing to build business in the earlier years, but at this point people know they can be rude or lie and get something for free or discounted due to their attitude when there’s no actual issue. That sh*t ain’t cool.

Edit- I’m not talking about anything pertaining to this thread, just the interaction of companies/product managers in general.

Last edited:
Personally, I encourage manufacturers to be more snarky on this forum. 😂
I generally agree, but also think when the software, sales-model, and wildly annoying in-app self promotion is as annoying as IK's is, one must show some degree of self-awareness regarding those issues before earning the right to snark. Also, your snark better be A-game.

ToneX, despite my general distaste for IK sales model/software clunkiness, is still intriguing to me. Despite the fact that I own two hardware modelers and quite a bit of software that will easily cover the same sonic ground. And so far this forum has mostly gotten C-grade snark. It's a crowded market. I ain't got time for low quality snark or clunky license structures or clunky software.

I own AT4, Fender 2 collection, Mesa Collection and Orange Collection and have praised all of those items far and wide. I still think they sound great. But again, the market is so crowded now...I ain't got time to deal with it and didn't install any of that stuff when setting up my new music computer.

FWIW, I do to. I’ve worked some form of customer service for my entire working life and I’m very much not a fan of the “I bought your product so you have to kiss my ass now”. That never flew for me as a restaurant manager and it doesn’t fly with me now as someone who handles tenants that pay us rent.

There’s not a robot on the other end of a username and really, some of the pot shots taken at these guys are quite unfair. In Pete’s case, he’s one dude in a bigger company, it’s not like he can read a message and all of a sudden get the entire company to implement some changes within seconds. Or look at Cliff on TGP and the crap he’d take on over there.

Hahaha I argued with a CFO once over this, they were going for the “Customer is always right” thing, so I said “Ok, so if a tenant says they don’t want to pay rent for a month because they don’t feel like, are they in the right or wrong?”

That may have been a nice thing to build business in the earlier years, but at this point people know they can be rude or lie and get something for free or discounted due to their attitude when there’s no actual issue. That sh*t ain’t cool.
Right, but the post I replied to implied "hey, we could've done a shitty subscription service like Slate, which you guys all hate, and that is the only other possibility". His posts show either ineptitude, or a willful ignorance of the market in which his products operate. I'm ABSOLUTELY willing to recognize these folks are human, just trying to do a job, and that different companies will have different approaches. But I don't have a lot of patience for incompetence and/or failure to honestly address a situation. I accept Cliff's snark because (1) it is ALWAYS A-game and (2) he is pretty much always competent (and then some) and, for the most part, as honest as one can expect.

Might as well put that on PPV
Split into 5 minute sections each for sale individually, or as 15 minute bundles for a 2.1% discount, and you can buy PPV bucks to buy your PPV with that will save you another 5% (but also always leave you with an extra 5ppv bucks that can't buy anything, or be redeemed for anything) or you can buy the COMPLETE EVERYTHING INCLUDED package that includes everything BUT the blooper outtake real at the end that you can only buy as a standalone item for $75...

...if we are being snarky...

Speaking of. Can we get Josh Scott (JHS) and Glenn Fricker to do an “Ask Me Anything?”
If we are going there let’s get Lewis the Tone king ask me anything frankly his response would probably be more useful than Fricker

We could do a lot of things. I see you have a lot of ideas, please keep an eye on https://www.ikmultimedia.com/jobs if interested. Thanks!
Open a London office ;)

Not my intention to needlessly bag on IK, I just don't think the 'Max' moniker is very useful to the end user, and FWIW, I still can't find a list that shows exactly what you get. As I said before, the list I did find doesn't even seem to show any of the Mesa 2 stuff in order for me to see it in a "not included" state. I could be being blind, but the IK site isn't one of the easiest to navigate tbh.

Also I'm an idiot. So there is that.

Right, but the post I replied to implied "hey, we could've done a sh*tty subscription service like Slate, which you guys all hate, and that is the only other possibility". His posts show either ineptitude, or a willful ignorance of the market in which his products operate. I'm ABSOLUTELY willing to recognize these folks are human, just trying to do a job, and that different companies will have different approaches. But I don't have a lot of patience for incompetence and/or failure to honestly address a situation. I accept Cliff's snark because (1) it is ALWAYS A-game and (2) he is pretty much always competent (and then some) and, for the most part, as honest as one can expect.

I probably should have specified that I wasn’t hinting at anything within this thread other than one sarcastic remark from IK. I’ve only been able to briefly browse threads today, so I have no input on this one or the banter at all. ;)

Back