A mild grumble+warning about IK Multimedia & Amplitube 5 Max

I use Templates as a Building block and Modd them to my liking, for me its just a good building block, but i do know a bit more about the workings of amp types chains and what not so i also build my own

Last edited:
Yeah I mean people can whatever the hell they want, and I’ll continue to think it’s BS. 😂

I spent over an hour trying to figure out why Glenn DeLaune’s presets for Helix sound like such a hot bag of ass. I ended up punting and dialing in a new preset for my buddy instead.

I spent over an hour trying to figure out why Glenn DeLaune’s presets for Helix sound like such a hot bag of ass. I ended up punting and dialing in a new preset for my buddy instead.😂

Same. I bought a preset just once for the Helix from another very well known and respected player who is experienced with a number of modellers.

Of course I have a completely different guitar, pickups, input signal level, playback system and playing style; so it sounded terrible. I learned my lesson that day!

My issue is there’s no recourse at all for these people selling presets that often end up sounding fucking awful. The GL presets aren’t chump change; he’s charging more for presets than many people do for captures/profiles that take actual work.

Except there’s tons of free examples of presets easily indexed on YouTube, and online in general if someone is inclined to want one.
Yes there are, but I still see value in paid presets if the maker of them keeps them up to date with the latest firmwares and whatnot.

I've never bought presets and never will, but I can see the appeal for someone who just isn't that interested in learning their modeler, learning about amps, micing and all that stuff. If they can shortcut the process by paying a bit of money than that seems to be valuable to them.

Paid presets can also have a "known good" appeal to them like IRs from prominent vendors whereas free presets and IRs are a wild west where you might get something you like but might have to wade through a good bit of crap to get there.

For people not willing to learn their modeler, they should……not use a modeler. It’s a tool. Do you not learn how to use a power drill properly?
I really can’t stand people that need to have everything spoon-fed to them. I mean, blow money on it all ya want; I guess. It’s a free country. But I think it’s idiotic.

IR’s (and by extension, captures/profiles) are very different. I don’t necessarily have the equipment and/or space to do such things. And Justin York only charges $15 for an entire pack of his work.

For people not willing to learn their modeler, they should……not use a modeler. It’s a tool. Do you not learn how to use a power drill properly?
I really can’t stand people that need to have everything spoon-fed to them. I mean, blow money on it all ya want; I guess. It’s a free country. But I think it’s idiotic.
That they have appeal to those that don't want to learn How to use a modeler is exactly why they are terrible.

Yes there are, but I still see value in paid presets if the maker of them keeps them up to date with the latest firmwares and whatnot.

I've never bought presets and never will, but I can see the appeal for someone who just isn't that interested in learning their modeler, learning about amps, micing and all that stuff. If they can shortcut the process by paying a bit of money than that seems to be valuable to them.

Paid presets can also have a "known good" appeal to them like IRs from prominent vendors whereas free presets and IRs are a wild west where you might get something you like but might have to wade through a good bit of crap to get there.
I see the appeal of cocaine. That doesn't mean I'm going to recommend it to a friend.

I think a preset can help someone with signal flow, however a preset is unlikely to reproduce the original results the preset creator came up with unless the guitar, pickups, reproduction system, and playing style/technique line up closely between the end user and creator.

I think a preset can help someone with signal flow, however a preset is unlikely to reproduce the original results the preset creator came up with unless the guitar, pickups, reproduction system, and playing style/technique line up closely between the end user and creator.
I agree with all that. That's why I don't bother with other people's presets for anything but inspiration.

IR’s (and by extension, captures/profiles) are very different. I don’t necessarily have the equipment and/or space to do such things. And Justin York only charges $15 for an entire pack of his work.
Isn’t being spoon fed a proper way to digest something or anything.
My skull is thick and needs considerable feeding before anything sinks in 🤷🏻

Regarding Glenn D’s presets, I don’t have any, but listening to his YouTube clips and reading the description of what he sells, it sounds like he is making tone-matched patches using a matching IR. (You need to obtain the original studio tracks of the songs to do this, so you can match just the guitar. There’s a huge number of these available thanks to the Rock Band series of video games, which paid to get the stems of MANY famous songs into their game. They were originally encrypted to prevent exporting them, but you know how that goes…)

Having done quite a bit of this tonematched preset creation myself, I can say they definitely do sound like ass unless you are playing on top of the original song. This is because most studio guitar tracks also sound like ass in isolation, due to all the eq’ing, compression, reverb etc that is applied to slot them into the mix.

The real takeaway is that modelers used for anything but re-creating exact album tones should NOT sound like album tones, because that’s not how it sounded to the original artist in the room either.

Regarding Glenn D’s presets, I don’t have any, but listening to his YouTube clips and reading the description of what he sells, it sounds like he is making tone-matched patches using a matching IR. (You need to obtain the original studio tracks of the songs to do this, so you can match just the guitar. There’s a huge number of these available thanks to the Rock Band series of video games, which paid to get the stems of MANY famous songs into their game. They were originally encrypted to prevent exporting them, but you know how that goes…)

Having done quite a bit of this tonematched preset creation myself, I can say they definitely do sound like ass unless you are playing on top of the original song. This is because most studio guitar tracks also sound like ass in isolation, due to all the eq’ing, compression, reverb etc that is applied to slot them into the mix.

The real takeaway is that modelers used for anything but re-creating exact album tones should NOT sound like album tones, because that’s not how it sounded to the original artist in the room either.
Tones/presets only work within specific circumstances. That’s why so many presets often appear to suck.

Back