A mild grumble+warning about IK Multimedia & Amplitube 5 Max

I took a sales course when I was fresh out of high school and one of the things they taught us was to match your customers speaking mannerisms the best you can without coming off like you’re impersonating them; if they say darn it, you say darn it, if they curse, say the same curse, if they’re chill you be chill, etc. I carried this over to the restaurant business and it’s absolutely astounding how many people would sit there with their mouth hanging open when you match their level of bullsh*t. I’d get sh*t from managers for it from time to time, but ultimately knew it worked in my favor far more than it worked against me.

When I started managing restaurants I’d tell the staff the same thing. I think I took heat from it from regional management once but it’s ultimately the quickest way to deescalate an sh*tty guest who is thinking they can make a scene and get their meal for free.
I'd get in some amount of trouble if I caused an issue, real or perceived, because they'd complain way above my team about it. Some of the users are really fucking pushy with the shit they want to know, while others are just generally rude assholes. I can't give it back, like tell them, "Oh, it sounds like a PEBCAK or ID10T related issue." As much as I'd like to sometimes.

Ok, I didn’t realize that there is a separate “upgrade for all” and “MAXgrade” price. I was wrong, so I apologize for my prior rants. Sounds like you’re still saving at least $50 even with the jump from 3.5 to 4.0.

I do wish there was more clarity in terms of what *isn’t* included in bundles though, as well as pricing structures. When you click on upgrade/crossgrade in your user account now, it shows “upgrade for all” as applying to everyone and nothing else. It’s not clear that there are still other pricing structures like “MAXgrade.”

I apologize for my rants. I hope there is still more clarity going forward for IK’s pricing and bundles though because it is quite confusing.
Ah sorry here too, though you don't need to apologize. It wasn't clear to you, we shotgunned a few different things at the same time which always gives great results, right? Right?? :) The upgrade for all, lowering prices, AND releasing the new bundles made sense on paper but unless we pointed everybody to the same page or did something completely Captain Obvious like a takeover on our own page or similar it definitely wasn't going to be clear for everybody. Yes, "log in and see your price" is good and all but then you don't get the context in some cases unless you look at certain pages/announcements and that's not guaranteed.

I think it’s important to note that while I do agree IK’s stuff is convoluted, it’s not like @IK Multimedia Pete is the dude deciding how it goes. He’s kind of in an unenviable position here.
Thanks. But on the other hand I am close enough to the decision to at least relay suggestions and at best be pushy about the things that make 100% sense (like the TONEX Pedal resale changes). It's like a marriage, there are going to be some conflicts but in the end I think it moves in the right direction. Though they apparently won't let me add "TGF C**t" to my business cards.

Edit - though I guess "Idiot who can't use multiquote" can be added. I was just on a forum that doesn't have it, that's my excuse :)

Thanks. But on the other hand I am close enough to the decision to at least relay suggestions and at best be pushy about the things that make 100% sense (like the TONEX Pedal resale changes). It's like a marriage, there are going to be some conflicts but in the end I think it moves in the right direction. Though they apparently won't let me add "TGF C**t" to my business cards.

Edit - though I guess "Idiot who can't use multiquote" can be added. I was just on a forum that doesn't have it, that's my excuse :)
Well, it's better than being TGF's bitch. :rofl

Hang in there, man. This place is still better than TGP. Faint praise, I know.

To be fair, I did say twunt. Which a nice little portmanteau of twat, and c*nt.

Three cheers!

:rofl :rofl :rofl

I was thinking about having some TGF picks printed up but wasn’t sure what to print on them, you’ll now be in every pick owner’s mind 10 years later when they move their couch, open a guitar case, clean out their sock drawer, etc. I absolutely know what I’m putting on those picks now!

Meme Leaving GIF by MOODMAN

Long-standing crashes from Amplitube 5 and Pro Tools.

Have gone back and forth with IK Support trying to resolve this.

The process goes something like this:

- I email IK, explain the issue, include crash reports, include my computer specs, DAW version, OS version, how to recreate the bug

- they reply courteously asking “
We need to know which versions of AmpliTube 5; Pro Tools and the MacOS are currently in use.

https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/a...ro-Tools-Operating-System-Compatibility-Chart

We also recommend to check the chart above to ensure you are using the correct version. ”

- I tell them the same information again, and ask whether it’s a known bug or if they can recreate it.

- They reply asking if I’m running Rosetta or Apple Silicon, and ask whether or not I can test in other DAW’s.

- I explain that the computer I already told them I’m using is Intel and predates Apple Silicon. I also tell them that the bug is specifically with Pro Tools which is why I gave all the information about which version of PT I’m using and how to replicate the issue.

- They ask if I have spoken with Avid

I've had this exact exchange a few times now, its just pointless and redundant questions from IK until I give up hope and try again later.

Total lack of responsibility about fixing the bug - I’ve never had a plugin company try and palm me off to try and get Avid to fix their own plugin. Pro Tools is rock solid for me and I only have issues when using Amplitube. Amplitube is named in the crash report whenever it crashes from using it.

IK make some good products but the company is a joke from top to bottom and I haven’t dealt with anyone from the company who has proven the opposite. There are so many credible and decent companies out there making products that are just as good. I deal with tons of plugin companies day to day and I’ve never had a situation i’d daft as this. Other companies would be embarrassed by this sort of stuff. DO BETTER IK. Treat your customers with respect and make good on your word.

I’d genuinely recommend anyone to avoid spending any money with IK until they have a total shift in how they treat existing customers with on going issues.

Last edited:
Long-standing crashes from Amplitube 5 and Pro Tools.

Have gone back and forth with IK Support trying to resolve this.

The process goes something like this:

- I email IK, explain the issue, include crash reports, include my computer specs, DAW version, OS version, how to recreate the bug

- they reply courteously asking “
We need to know which versions of AmpliTube 5; Pro Tools and the MacOS are currently in use.

https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/a...ro-Tools-Operating-System-Compatibility-Chart

We also recommend to check the chart above to ensure you are using the correct version. ”

- I tell them the same information again, and ask whether it’s a known bug or if they can recreate it.

- They reply asking if I’m running Rosetta or Apple Silicon, and ask whether or not I can test in other DAW’s.

- I explain that the computer I already told them I’m using is Intel and predates Apple Silicon. I also tell them that the bug is specifically with Pro Tools which is why I gave all the information about which version of PT I’m using and how to replicate the issue.

- They ask if I have spoken with Avid

I've had this exact exchange a few times now, its just pointless and redundant questions from IK until I give up hope and try again later.

Total lack of responsibility about fixing the bug - I’ve never had a plugin company try and palm me off to try and get Avid to fix their own plugin. Pro Tools is rock solid for me and I only have issues when using Amplitube. Amplitube is named in the crash report whenever it crashes from using it.

IK make some good products but the company is a joke from top to bottom and I haven’t dealt with anyone from the company who has proven the opposite. There are so many credible and decent companies out there making products that are just as good. I deal with tons of plugin companies day to day and I’ve never had a situation i’d daft as this. Other companies would be embarrassed by this sort of stuff. DO BETTER IK. Treat your customers with respect and make good on your word.

I’d genuinely recommend anyone to avoid spending any money with IK until they have a total shift in how they treat existing customers with on going issues.
Sounds like you ran into the classic "support handled by people who follow a set script without an original thought." It's always frustrating to deal with these when everything they need to know is already present in the initial report.

I still find it fascinating that I did a capture in ToneX, and I used it once on my iPad, but it's absolutely nowhere to be fucking found on my Mac......that I did the capture on. ToneX is SO cool, but.......the app's organization is literally unusable.

Sounds like you ran into the classic "support handled by people who follow a set script without an original thought." It's always frustrating to deal with these when everything they need to know is already present in the initial report.
If I’m giving them the benefit of doubt then they’re just incompetent. I feel like their policy is somewhat worse - it feels like they’ll keep asking different questions so they can palm off any responsibility for fixing it, or that you just give up responding from a lack of it going anywhere.

IK really need to look at how other companies handle bug reporting and fixing, and just customer service in general. All software is going to have issues at some points. No point releasing new software until your existing stuff works as it should.

Back