A lot of people will disagree with my hardware modeler ranking

This place can’t maintain a “No Shenanigans” status for more than a day at most.

Super Troopers Shut Up GIF by Searchlight Pictures

Last edited:
no worries. I knew I would get slammed by certain folks.
In a thread where we're comparing modeler rankings, I was just throwing the versioning topic in the mix. FAS work harder than most and in so doing affect people's presets similarly. Conversely you could argue that other vendors don't even bother to improve/update their systems at all. No preset re-management needed but also no improvements either.
Within the context of this threads original topic, I completely agree with all of the statements you just made.

There are many people here that insist on arguing the point that because THEY don't think a particular feature is important, that it is crazy that ANYONE would think it IS.

This is the core of my argument about the validity of the review (for those that can still remember that this is what the thread was about in the first place). The reviewers stated that this set of digital amps were "the best" without stating what they were "the best" at doing.

It isn't like reviewing things is a NEW science guys.

As an example of a good review site: https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/best/by-features/smart-internet-streaming

Notice how a single TV didn't rate "best" for every situation? Neither does any digital amp pedal.

It's stupid to assume that just because one of us doesn't think something is important, that it shouldn't be considered in an assessment of a device.

Earlier, someone pointed out how many Kemper users (like me) dismiss the fact that the Kemper doesn't capture as well as other devices. They are also incorrect. To some people, this may well be the most important feature as they have a room full of vintage amps they wish to capture.

Equally as daft is the idea that just because a few of you have grown used to tone changes every firmware update, that the rest of the digital amp playing world must be OK with it as well. Your reasoning is equally daft. You think that someone that has many different patches that they have worked to perfect is going to want to try to get all their tones back to where they were (assuming that there is some possible way to figure out exactly how they sounded before they changed in the first place)?

The other VERY relevant topic brought up in this quote above is how long the OEM actually continues to provide updates and new features. Sure, some old tube amp player (like me) is going to say "I never had to update my JCM800 even once!". Again, just because ONE person thinks this is OK, doesn't mean it isn't a very valid metric to consider when determining what "the best" is.

And for the people that continue to insist that "all you need is 3 buttons" because they can find an example of someone doing it.... again, daft. To believe that because SOMEONE likes it, doesn't mean is it going to be OK for everyone. If you play live with a decent variety of sounds every night, then you AREN'T going to be OK with 3 buttons playing live. FWIW, I predominantly gig with 3 banks of 5 presets. I know people that program their pedal having a single bank for each song and have a coordinated MIDI driver doing the changes. Personally, that is WAY more work than I want to do, but then who am I to argue. These guys make a damn fine living doing this stuff.

Anyway, I think it is pretty myopic to believe that there is a single device that is "Best" in every situation. I know that there is a great tendency for people to defend whatever they currently have, I just think it gets silly the contorted logic people will use to justify why THEIR preference and use model should be EVERYONES.... or else the other people are just "babies".

Seriously?

I think it is pretty myopic to believe that there is a single device that is "Best" in every situation.
Exactly.
I only brought up versioning as it is a personal pain point for me and for those not privy to the ecosystem, they now know about it. I don't expect it to be important to everyone and in the grand scheme of things, it doesn't top my list either.
Others will have their list of must haves be it button count, button functionality, amp authenticity. Effects, effects routing...it goes on and on.

But for the record, tuning 1000 presets at this pace made me power down my FAS stuff and buy a TMP. Off to upgrade my Fm9 to v8, 😀

December 1st 2023- fw23.04
December 5th - fw23.05
December 21st - fw24.01
December 29th - fw24.02
December 29th - fw24.03
January 16th 2024 - fw24.04
February 2nd - fw24.05
April 9th - fw25.0
April 15th - fw25.01
May 2nd - fw25.02
May 24th - fw25.03
May 30th - fw25.04
June 28th - fw26.0
July 26th - fw26.01
Aug 30th** - fw27

Last edited:
Exactly.
I only brought up versioning as it is a personal pain point for me and for those not privy to the ecosystem, they now know about it. I don't expect it to be important to everyone and in the grand scheme of things, it doesn't top my list either.
Others will have their list of must haves be it button count, button functionality, amp authenticity. Effects, effects routing...it goes on and on.

But for the record, tuning 1000 presets at this pace made me power down my FAS stuff and buy a TMP. Off to upgrade my Fm9 to v8, 😀

December 5th - fw23.05
December 21st - fw24.01
December 29th - fw24.02
December 29th - fw24.03
February 2nd - fw24.05
April 9th - fw25.0
April 15th - fw25.01
May 2nd - fw25.02
May 24th - fw25.03
May 30th - fw25.04
June 28th - fw26.0
July 26th - fw26.01
Aug 30th** - fw27
“But, but, but you don’t HAVE to update!” 😂

“But, but, but you don’t HAVE to update!” 😂
Lol. I won't for a while. Maybe in December or so. I'm very happy with my sounds right now but they keep enticing me with the stealth dyna cabs and the Friedman 1x12 sic.
The 1x12 sic is great on fw25 but it just came out on fm9-v8

This is the core of my argument about the validity of the review (for those that can still remember that this is what the thread was about in the first place). The reviewers stated that this set of digital amps were "the best" without stating what they were "the best" at doing.

I think the disconnect is that the video isn’t that serious, and it does make it very clear that those were the three of the ones GuitarJon owns that they felt were best for them—and they do explain why they prefer those, and a potential buyer who is using the video as a guide can listen to those points and decide how they apply to their own needs and preferences.

I’m guessing that this sort of disconnect is why GuitarJon didn’t just post the ranking in written form, which takes it out of context.

Exactly.

December 5th - fw23.05
December 21st - fw24.01
December 29th - fw24.02
December 29th - fw24.03
February 2nd - fw24.05
April 9th - fw25.0
April 15th - fw25.01
May 2nd - fw25.02
May 24th - fw25.03
May 30th - fw25.04
June 28th - fw26.0
July 26th - fw26.01
Aug 30th** - fw27
How dare Fractal give you that many free updates in that timeframe.......I don't blame you for moving to a TMP!.......
laugh.gif

Back