A few ideas...

FuzzyAce

Rock Star
TGF Recording Artist
...of the ambient kind. Just some meanderings that I created today.

I've been reorganizing my music space this weekend and today it was all nice and tidy so felt like doing some ambient tracks. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I pulled an old cheap Yamaha PSR-225 keyboard from the closet and set it up. It's like 25 yrs old now. A few keys aren't working lol. But it inspired me for some reason.
Anyways, all the core sounds are coming from it and of course post tweaked to great extent in my DAW.
Thanks for listening!

3/17

new: added 3/21

new: added 3/23

Last edited:
"Daydream" did it for me.

Um... in my current state.

cheerio.png

Another I did tonight. Same theme/vibe as in my OP.

edit: moved to OP

Last edited:
Added another track to OP. Started this one after dinner. All sounds came from the same keyboard but then tweaked in my DAW.
Think I'm going to keep adding to this thread with ambient stuff, for anyone who cares to listen. :rofl
I enjoy it though. :grin

Added another track to OP. Started this one after dinner. All sounds came from the same keyboard but then tweaked in my DAW.
Think I'm going to keep adding to this thread with ambient stuff, for anyone who cares to listen. :rofl
I enjoy it though. :grin
What keyboard are you using ?

:unsure:

What keyboard are you using ?

:unsure:
Yamaha PSR-225. It's old, and sort of like a beginner style keyboard. Although it does have midi in and out fwiw.
It's really my niece's lol, but I've been storing it over here for a while and she lives out of town. So she and her sister used and abused the thing and about 5 keys aren't working. Sounds are very mediocre compared to what's available today (and even back then when it was made :rofl). But that was part of the inspiration -- "How can I use this pos and turn it into something not so dreadful?" Post DAW tweaking/manipulation to the rescue!

Yamaha PSR-225. It's old, and sort of like a beginner style keyboard. Although it does have midi in and out fwiw.
It's really my niece's lol, but I've been storing it over here for a while and she lives out of town. So she and her sister used and abused the thing and about 5 keys aren't working. Sounds are very mediocre compared to what's available today (and even back then when it was made :rofl). But that was part of the inspiration -- "How can I use this pos and turn it into something not so dreadful?" Post DAW tweaking/manipulation to the rescue!
Thinking about getting a keyboard for triggering samples (I assume that's what you're doing to get the ambient sounds).

Thinking about getting a keyboard for triggering samples (I assume that's what you're doing to get the ambient sounds).
no triggering. I'm not using the midi port just a direct headphone out from the keyboard. That was part of the challenge and to be creative with it. So no software samples used, it's just a healthy use of eq, reverbs, spatial delays, pitching, filters etc plugins. I'm doing a lot of volume automation to give it a bit more intimacy as well.
I do have a midi key controller too and NI Kontakt but didn't want to use them in these series of tracks.

no triggering. I'm not using the midi port just a direct headphone out from the keyboard. That was part of the challenge and to be creative with it. So no software samples used, it's just a healthy use of eq, reverbs, spatial delays, pitching, filters etc plugins. I'm doing a lot of volume automation to give it a bit more intimacy as well.
I do have a midi key controller too and NI Kontakt but didn't want to use them in these series of tracks.
Ah, I see..

I have no clue about keyboards.

Wouldn't even know what to buy to get started with one.

Ah, I see..

I have no clue about keyboards.

Wouldn't even know what to buy to get started with one.
They're fun. You could always get you something small just to mess around on? A lot more options these days.

Reactions: PLX
They're fun. You could always get you something small just to mess around on? A lot more options these days.
Yeah, that's probably what I should do..

I think I'd like to have something that I could use to record a bass line with.

Is that something all these little digital keyboards can do ?

Yeah, that's probably what I should do..

I think I'd like to have something that I could use to record a bass line with.

Is that something all these little digital keyboards can do ?
Oh yeah. You could also opt for just a midi keyboard controller to run software instruments in your DAW. They're normally cheaper and most DAWs have some decent synths plugins and whatnot.

Oh yeah. You could also opt for just a midi keyboard controller to run software instruments in your DAW. They're normally cheaper and most DAWs have some decent synths plugins and whatnot.
But, these ambient sounds that you're getting are coming directly from the Yamaha PSR-225 ?

Ocean wave sounds, and whatnot ?

But, these ambient sounds that you're getting are coming directly from the Yamaha PSR-225 ?

Ocean wave sounds, and whatnot ?
No, i turned off the keyboard's internal reverb so it's dry coming into my DAW. After I record my parts I then tweak everything with plugins. The water sound is the only part I used an old field recording i've had for 20yrs lol.

Back