Old Digital: Korg A3

Cirrus

Roadie
So I like '90s U2. One of the pieces of gear the Edge used in those days was a Korg A3, a mid to late '80s rackmounted digital multieffects unit. I've always been curious about them but finally decided to take the plunge a few months ago.

And this thing is actually really cool.

It's obviously old. The LCD screen's backlight has nearly died totally. When it arrived it wouldn't store presets; it needed a watch battery replaced inside and it was a bit of a pain to get to it. New sounds and effects chains can be loaded onto it from actual physical ROM disks that you slot in the front. It's a million miles away from a Helix or Axe FX; the effects chain for each preset needs to be picked from one of 20 fixed configurations, so if you can't find a combination and order of 6 effects that pleases you, it just ain't happening

But at the heart of it... the sounds are great, and I'm finding them incredibly inspiring. The reverbs (you get two variations each of Room, Hall and Plate but honestly I can't really tell the variations apart, so it's basically 3 algos) are beautifully of their era. Warm, low fi digital with just a hint of graininess. The Modulation is lush sounding without being overwhelming - Chorus particularly. Even the digital distortions, despite being programmed in the mid '80s, are loads of fun to play with. The two main distortion types (OD and a "Hard Distortion") both absolutely hang with my analogue pedals into the front end of my AC30, with the added flexibility of a full 3 band tone stack.

Then there's the way the fx chains flow into each other (it can be shoegaze in a box if you ask it to be), and the possibilities that are opened up by some of the more unusual fx options. You can get the reverb algo to distort if you push it too hard with a preceding gain stage, and it's actually really cool sounding when it does. There is a Exciter algo that lets you pick just one frequency to either enhance or squash dynamically, and it results in some really out there sounds if you, say, push the mids in a distortion block and pull them back with the exciter. There's an Early Reflections algo that is way OTT and makes it sound like you're hearing the guitar through tunnels of sheet metal. Basically, it's fucking cool.

And it does it all beautifully in mono or true stereo.

Finally, it is THE "Mysterious Ways" Guitar sound. It's literally a stock preset. These are all a humbucker guitar through the A3 into a Helix Native AC30 sim;

Couple of weeks back I was working on the part for a song. Just looking for inspiration in sounds to help focus in on something that'd give the song some character. I was looking for a chorusy, reverby '80s influenced thing without it sounding too cheesy or cheap. I started with a Zoom MS70, despite all the modulation options couldn't dial in something that made me smile or inspired music. So I switched to Helix native, and it was better but same kind of thing - despite all the choices and the flexibility, it was just sounding cheesy.

So I broke out the A3 and scrolled through looking for a preset chain with chorus into delay into reverb. Literally the first one I found just sounded cool, and inspired a part that brought a lot of ideas together into focus and was right for the song. The tone sounded nostalgic & familiar without being cheesy or too obvious. The inspiration factor is the hard bit to quantify - the box helped me write a cool song, and that's kind of the whole point isn't it?

Like, having written the part and found the sound, I'm sure I could get close enough on Helix now for playing live. But the Helix didn't inspire me enough to have written it in the first place.

I owned one in the early 90's and used it in a band doing originals. I barely scratched the surface of the delays, modulations, etc. which still sound great to my ears. When I was trying it out I kept calling it a "preamp/effects" unit and the salesman kept correcting me saying "no, it's a signal processor". Still makes me smile remembering that.

The only con for me was the feel (I know, I know) of the raw guitar tones. I was used to sag and compression from my tube amp while playing blues and rock covers. The originals called for more fx laden tones. Admittedly I didn't experiment enough with pedals in front of it.

I amplified it by going into the return of a Carvin EL34 tube head and it sounded wonderful but again, I never felt "connected". Somewhere around I have a video of that band playing at Dobb's in Philly. Another great venue that is sadly gone.

Finally, it is THE "Mysterious Ways" Guitar sound. It's literally a stock preset. These are all a humbucker guitar through the A3 into a Helix Native AC30 sim;
Has anyone ever managed to replicate that sound with the Axe Fx 3?

I reckon you can pretty much get there - there is an envelope filter by the looks of it that's basically designed to get that sound, same on the Helix.

What both might struggle with is the distortion part. I love it, but I've never heard a pedal or amp quite get the sound of the distortion block, it's kind of bad in a good way?

Used it again for recording last night. I'm gonna build a bypass looper so I can run it from my board, and use it live. Fuck the naysayers. Fuck everybody.

I love it, but I've never heard a pedal or amp quite get the sound of the distortion block, it's kind of bad in a good way?
+1k. That is my biggest takeaway of the A3. Everything else was excellent.

I like your looper idea.

I'm finding the A3 struggles to get unity volume when at instrument level - even if I set the input gain to the point where the clip light is starting to come on, a lot of the chains don't quite get unity volume vs the bypass sound. So I'm gonna build an MXR micro amp circuit on the return as "makeup gain". And I'll make the FX send jack the shorting type so with nothing plugged in it'll just act as a clean boost pedal.

I'm treating it very much as part of my front end chain, and I'll treat the distortion blocks like I'd treat a pedal. It's going into the front end of my AC30 so the compression/sag/ feel still comes from the amp.

• Love
Reactions: JT
Back