World's BIGGEST Celestion Vintage 30 Shootout

Yeah watched this yesterday. It confirmed what I suspected all along - I really actually quite like a certain amount of fizz in my guitar tone, and that I don't really like dark sounding speakers - which is probably why I don't dig the Nolly IR's in most of the NeuralDSP products. Just not my thing.

And I don't think it's particularly date-bound. For example, speaker 49 and 51 both sound dark and murky (like they've been left at the bottom of a lake for a thousand years!) and they're 10 years apart from one another.

It's really just luck of the draw when it comes to speakers.

I conducted a little experiment after watching this video.
With a 10cm paper circle carefully placed I can fine tune my Chinese V30 16ohm (from 2011) to sound as smooth or as harsh as I want.
It does require some fiddling and has no consistency whatsoever but does show how small inconsistencies in the cone can make a guitar speaker sound radically different.

The 5-6kHz region is critical, especially with a SM57.

image.jpg

Stock:

10cm paper circle

circle.png

Moongel for speakers!!!
No kidding, that might actually be useful to tune a speaker.
I wouldn't be surprised if the dustcap shape and how centered it is glued make a substantial difference.
The mic is super sensitive to center area variations, small changes in the center area make big difference to what the mic 'hears', maybe not so much in the room.

I conducted a little experiment after watching this video.
With a 10cm paper circle carefully placed I can fine tune my Chinese V30 16ohm (from 2011) to sound as smooth or as harsh as I want.
It does require some fiddling and has no consistency whatsoever but does show how small inconsistencies in the cone can make a guitar speaker sound radically different.

The 5-6kHz region is critical, especially with a SM57.

View attachment 7010

Stock:

10cm paper circle

View attachment 7011

#OpethFTW

Yes, that's all I took from it...

j/k. Pretty crazy how much difference there is...

Pretty crazy how much difference there is...
Yeah, the center region is so critical to how the speaker sounds.
I would think that every tiny change to the cone in that region like stiffness, shape, dust cap, glue, etc. will have a noticeable change in sound of the speaker.

I think there was never anything special about UK, China, Mesa, Marshall, 8ohm, 16hohm, etc. it was always the small material and workmanship differences from batch to batch.

Hence the Celestion lottery.

Last edited:
Yeah, the center region is so critical to how the speaker sounds.
I would think that every tiny change to the cone in that region like stiffness, shape, dust cap, glue, etc. will have a noticeable change in sound of the speaker.

I think there was never anything special about UK, Chine, 8ohm, 16hohm, etc. it was always the small material and workmanship differences from batch to batch.

Hence the Celestion lottery.

I have an Eminence Alpha in the closet I bought for a cab build that never happened. Makes me want to toy with it now to see if I can make it sound more appealing... Worst case it just sits in my closet again. :rofl

Back