Vintage 30 Alternatives

What up, council?

As my Vintage 30 quest is slowly coming to an end, I'm already down the next rabbit hole - Vintage 30s not made by Celestion and V30 alternatives. So far I've lined up:

Popular speakers with similar flavours:
- WGS Veteran 30
- WGS Retro 30
- Mojotone BV30V
- Eminence Governor
- Fane / David Laboga Mamzer 30

Popular speakers supposedly in the same tonal ball park:
- Fane F70
- Eminence Legend V128
- Jensen Nighthawk

Popular alternatives:
- Eminence DV77
- Hesu Demon

Are there any other obvious choices? Anything I am missing? I know Ted Weber makes a few but they are hard to get in Europe.

Eminence CV75? I’ve read many V30-adjacent comments about that one. I have one in a cab with a Swamp Thang, and I dig it.

Also, I found the Gov waaaayyy too honky and not as much like a V30 as I was expecting based on internet chatter.

Eminence CV75? I’ve read many V30-adjacent comments about that one. I have one in a cab with a Swamp Thang, and I dig it.

Also, I found the Gov waaaayyy too honky and not as much like a V30 as I was expecting based on internet chatter.
Yeah! I've seen the CV-75 brought up a few times but nobody in Europe seems to stock them. Have they been discontinued?

Yeah! I've seen the CV-75 brought up a few times but nobody in Europe seems to stock them. Have they been discontinued?
Looks like Eminence still sells them direct. I’m in the US, so I don’t have a great pulse on EU availability.

What about the V60 or whatever ENGL is using in their cabs? It’s still made by Celestion, so maybe it’s disqualified, but I suppose it could be considered a V30 alternative.

Don’t know, honestly. But, here at least, the used speaker market is flowing.

Edit: quick google search shows lots of options for buying new Sheffs sans cab.
I had no idea they still made the Sheffields? I had a pair years ago and thought they sounded pretty good. I prefer the Scorpions but don't have anymore these days.

I’ve seen quite a bit of love for this speaker. Mind sharing some high-level thoughts?
I see it as a cross between a K100 and V30. Not honky like the K100 and a bit smoother than the V30. Packs plenty of punch and the harmonics swirl, even in a 1x12 cabinet.

Last edited:
I always thought the V60 Silver used by ENGL always sounded quite different, and I don't consider it being some kinda V30 derivative.

Also I think Jensen's Electric Lightning is more of a V30 variant than the Nighthawk 🤔

I see quite a few more speakers listed in this thread, which I personally don't consider V30 variants.
I'd throw in the Classic Lead 80. Can't say enough good things about them: tight, stable, punchy, uncompressed, distinct tone differing from the almighty V30,... But well, no V30 variant then 🤷

John, aren't you located in Germany? Have a CL80, at the time unused. IF you want to add it to this (or other) tests, let me know.

I always thought the V60 Silver used by ENGL always sounded quite different, and I don't consider it being some kinda V30 derivative.

Also I think Jensen's Electric Lightning is more of a V30 variant than the Nighthawk 🤔

I see quite a few more speakers listed in this thread, which I personally don't consider V30 variants.
I'd throw in the Classic Lead 80. Can't say enough good things about them: tight, stable, punchy, uncompressed, distinct tone differing from the almighty V30,... But well, no V30 variant then 🤷

John, aren't you located in Germany? Have a CL80, at the time unused. IF you want to add it to this (or other) tests, let me know.
Thanks, man! I appreciate that a lot! Can I get back to you on that at a later stage? I've - as always - been getting way ahead of myself and have stacks of speakers here already I haven't even tried yet. I'd feel really uncomfortable borrowing a speaker and then have it sit for weeks

Back