I think the "new" 2022 Celestion Vintage 30 is dead already

What's up guys? Hope you don't mind me posting my own video here. Some of you may have seen my 50+ Celestion Vintage 30 shootout as someone else posted it here (which is how I found this awesome forum in the first place).

In that video, I looked at the supposedly new V30 as popularized by a Glenn Fricker/Spectre Sound video from about a year ago. I didn't get a clear result in my big test but I needed closure so I got four more new V30s.

It seems it's all in the cones and for a short period, the V30s/their cones sounded like they did in the early 2000s again but my observations indicate that that period is already over.

Tbh this video makes me want to just stick to IRs and not invest in cabinets and speakers. There's so much variance between the V30s in your tests that the whole route seems unreliable, and that's before factoring in cab build and differences in the real world. The only thing I don't like about IRs and good FRFRs is the lack of aesthetic.

Last edited:
Dave Friedman says they change after breaking in. He also says that most of the things people do to break them in don’t work as I recall. He’s broken them in by blasting music through them at very high volume for a fairly long period of time (days I think), and says it makes a noticeable difference. It’s so much trouble he rarely does it though. I’ve never done it in a controlled manner, so I have no idea. He tends to know his stuff and isn’t selling “pre broken in” speakers though, so I think I believe him.

D

I have a pair of 2 x 12 Friedman cabinets. They were running for 24 hours with loud music at the shop before they shipped.

Tbh this video makes me want to just stick to IRs and not invest in cabinets and speakers. There's so much variance between the V30s in your tests that the whole route seems unreliable, and that's before factoring in cab build and differences in the real world. The only thing I don't like about IRs and good FRFRs is the lack of aesthetic.
Honestly, that's not a bad course in my opinion. To this day, the best guitar gear investment I made was my first reactive load box. It was a game changer to me. Today, there are so many good and affordable reactive load boxes on the market as well as a huge selection of excellent IRs.
I just had to go down this rabbit hole because I am an obsessive lunatic or something and I have to see it through now. Lol.

Speakers change with use big time and carry on changing as the cone edges get looser. V30s suck new and need a month of Motörhead rehearsal time to even start to sound right. When I get a new 4X12 cab (a while ago now) I lend it to my friend to put it in his rehearsal rooms as backline and leave it there for 6 months. My Marshall cab (custom all ply vintage constitution but V30s stereo) is the best sounding 4x12 I have come across . I have lent it out numerous times to studios . This is mainly why vintage Marshall cabs sound so good, loud hard use.

Workflow and practicalities dictate the winner of the cab/IR debate for me.

If I can make lots of noise, I'll pick one of my cabs every time. Miking it up, finding the right spot for the mic(/s), and dialing in a tone might take 10 minutes of messing around but it's fun and then I get cracking. But this is with my cabs, where I chose them, chose the speakers, have worked over time to get the gear I want.

If I can't make lots of noise, IR obviously wins and great tones are easy to achieve. But I have regularly fallen down the "Which IR" rabbit hole, auditioning hundreds of choices, and that feels a lot less wholesome than picking a mic and placement.

About the inconsistencies between speakers... some speakers make life easier or harder, but there's a fairly big range of acceptable tone because whatever filter the speaker's putting on the final sound, you're adjusting the amp to make it sound good to you that day. A dark and middy speaker might lose in an A/B test, but in real life you'd turn up the treble, turn down the mids, and maybe you end up with a better sound because the amp likes that? Or maybe not.

Speakers change with use big time and carry on changing as the cone edges get looser. V30s suck new and need a month of Motörhead rehearsal time to even start to sound right. When I get a new 4X12 cab (a while ago now) I lend it to my friend to put it in his rehearsal rooms as backline and leave it there for 6 months. My Marshall cab (custom all ply vintage constitution but V30s stereo) is the best sounding 4x12 I have come across . I have lent it out numerous times to studios . This is mainly why vintage Marshall cabs sound so good, loud hard use.
I hope to verify that through my experiment very soon. I hope so because if nothing happens, it's going to make for a very shitty video :rofl

Speakers change with use big time and carry on changing as the cone edges get looser. V30s suck new and need a month of Motörhead rehearsal time to even start to sound right.
Pardon my french, that's bollocks.

I think John's test will be conclusive and objective.

Last edited:
So you think that the edge of the cone doesn’t change at all with use because that really is bollocks.

Physical elements wear over time. This is obvious.

Especially if you’re constantly pumping/adding in a good amount energy repeatedly. A kilowatt into 8Ω ain’t not nuthin’!

Even the human heart which has some ability to repair damage, wears out; efficiencies decline.

I get it with the cone but that’s not it.
They all should sound different because they actually are.
Are the speakers identical?
That’s for you to break-in., like work boots or bedroom slippers..ya gotta break’em in.
Were they made at the exact same time by the exact same person?
For me, what distinguishes the V-30 is the magic that cascades over the room your jammin’ in..?
Volume.
They like a lot of volume.
Like a higher powered Greenback.. or the V-30
takes over where the Greenie falls apart & gets
all squishy.
The V-30 becomes the cat in the bird seat.
The overtones & complexities are very tasty.
Interestingly, I don’t have or use V-30’s at the moment..I feel..naked as a rake..
V-30’s also can pull the evil flavor of the vibes with down tunings & octave stabs.

Have you tried the new Mojotone sorta’ V-30?
I heard their Greens are FIRE.
I tried the Governor, thought it was the bomb
until I realized I just can’t vibe with Eminence,
-like PRS amps, there’s something funky in the mids..when the sound breaks apart…

Edit: Dude, I’m no info dude,
I’m a jammin’ dude..I only know from the last time I’ve jammed..no much at all tbh,
-just going for it one note at a time.

Last edited:
@The other John Browne Hey, that wasn‘t me. You were clearly talking to TheFakeZoltan!

Time for the battle of the Zoltans then!
This was wild. This Zoltan just casually sent me his Vintage 30s all the way from Hungary. Asked for nothing in return, paid for shipping. All I did was pay for the return shipping.
Bizarre but beautiful experience. People can be nice

Back