Where should I go next?

Where to go next...

• Go back to Fractal. The Marshalls are calling you

Votes: 18 50.0%
  • Get a Helix. You'll be glad when you're editing/building presets

Votes: 12 33.3%
  • Go with another Kemper. You'll be glad you've got Performance mode during shows

Votes: 4 11.1%
  • Give QC a second chance, it's learned it's lesson

Votes: 2 5.6%

• Total voters

metropolis_4

Shredder
Well, I've got my next show booked starting in Feb 2 weeks after the current one wraps.

The two tube amps I have right now have taught me that I want to go back to digital. Especially the Marshal DSL. The problem I run into with tube amps is that I always want more control over them. I want to be able to save 7-8 settings on my DSL and recall any of them at will.

I have yet to find a tube amp that gives both the kind of sounds I want and the level of control I want.

I used to just use single channel tube amps with lots of pedals, but I've acquired a taste for amp distortion that makes me not want to completely go back to that approach.

So digital modeler it is.

The question is which one...

I've tried them all. There are things I like and don't like about each of them:

• Fractal: I love the amps, I love all the Marshalls, the effects are great. But it's a big beast and expensive, and not as easy to tweak
  • Helix: I love the layout and level of control, it's super easy to tweak, and I love the effects. But it's still my least favorite for amp sounds
  • Kemper: I love the feel, and I love love love love love Performance mode. But I'm not crazy about some of the effects and I think Fractal does Marshall better
  • Quad Cortex: Has it changed enough that it's worth a second chance?
  • Is there anything else out there I should consider?

Making this a Poll so everyone can vote when they inevitably tell me to go with their favorite :knit

You already know the answer. :beer

Luke-Leia-luke-and-leia-33553648-500-213.gif

Get a JVM and a midi capable EQ pedal. Boom.

That's not a bad option, I've thought about it. But you can only control the channel, master, FX loop, and reverb with MIDI. I'm concerned it will leave me with the same problem I had with the Dual Rec where what I actually want is 3-4 different settings of the first channel I can switch between.

I've gone back to the QC multiple times (as most are aware). I just vastly prefer fractal. I think the next 2.0 update will help alot but Im writing it off for the time being. Could you go FM9 so it's not as cumbersome as a full axe fx?

I've gone back to the QC multiple times (as most are aware). I just vastly prefer fractal. I think the next 2.0 update will help alot but Im writing it off for the time being. Could you go FM9 so it's not as cumbersome as a full axe fx?

I'm not sure if an FM9 will be on the table or not. It depends on when they get back in stock. I already used my purchase invitation so I'm pretty sure I either have to get back in line or wait until they're readily available.

Just snag an FM3. $100 off right now. No need to take the plunge and get the Axe when you
still have all of these riddles to resolve. ;)

It'll get the job done and be your trusty little friend.

Not a bad idea.

The only small things holding me back on the FM3 are no variable input impedance, and FOMO with not having all the latest updates from the III... :bag

IMO don't go Helix if you don't love the amp sounds, you'll just be jumping ship sooner rather than later.

It strikes me that FM9 would be the sweet spot for you, having the second amp plus additional controls all in one unit.

But if you're looking to pick up an FM3 and want to save some cash, shoot me a PM. Mine is up for sale on Reverb but can sell direct (if you're in the US anyway).

Not a bad idea.

The only small things holding me back on the FM3 are no variable input impedance, and FOMO with not having all the latest updates from the III... :bag

Tit for tat. ;)

But you won't have some monstrosity to haul around, and you get 3 footswitches
at no added cost, and you can pocket nearly $1500 for another guitar. :LOL:

Well, I've got my next show booked starting in Feb 2 weeks after the current one wraps.

The two tube amps I have right now have taught me that I want to go back to digital. Especially the Marshal DSL. The problem I run into with tube amps is that I always want more control over them. I want to be able to save 7-8 settings on my DSL and recall any of them at will.

I have yet to find a tube amp that gives both the kind of sounds I want and the level of control I want.

I used to just use single channel tube amps with lots of pedals, but I've acquired a taste for amp distortion that makes me not want to completely go back to that approach.

So digital modeler it is.

The question is which one...

I've tried them all. There are things I like and don't like about each of them:

• Fractal: I love the amps, I love all the Marshalls, the effects are great. But it's a big beast and expensive, and not as easy to tweak
  • Helix: I love the layout and level of control, it's super easy to tweak, and I love the effects. But it's still my least favorite for amp sounds
  • Kemper: I love the feel, and I love love love love love Performance mode. But I'm not crazy about some of the effects and I think Fractal does Marshall better
  • Quad Cortex: Has it changed enough that it's worth a second chance?
  • Is there anything else out there I should consider?

Making this a Poll so everyone can vote when they inevitably tell me to go with their favorite :knit
Given how many times you've been around the wheel, is there any reason not to just grab a Kemper and a Fractal and keep them both?

As someone who goes round and round on this track myself; there isn't an "answer".

(Unless it's a racked Kemper with some judiciously chosen outboard pedals in the loop controlled by the Kemper controller. Or an FM3 with a controllable variable impedance pedal up front)

Last edited:
Think you answered your Question no ?
Fractal it is so it would seem and FM 9 would be a great choice no ?

as for me I dont recommend anything since my likes and needs a are different than anyone else's

Cheers
Mike

Tit for tat. ;)

But you won't have some monstrosity to haul around, and you get 3 footswitches
at no added cost, and you can pocket nearly $1500 for another guitar. :LOL:

Not a bad idea! I've got a guitar I've had my eye on

Given how many times you've been around the wheel, is there any reason not to just grab a Kemper and a Fractal and keep them both?
As someone who goes round and round on this track myself; there isn't an "answer".

(Unless it's a racked Kemper with some judiciously chosen outboard pedals in the loop controlled by the Kemper controller. Or an FM3 with a controllable variable impedance pedal up front)

I've seriously thought about racking both a Kemper and a AxeIII or Helix and having the best of both worlds.

Maybe a Kemper controlled by a Helix floor... Hmm

Back