What's your weirdest/most unusual guitar cab?

I'm bored at work so, do you guys have any exotic guitar cabs? I bought this THC 4x12 cab as defective for very little money a few years ago. I really just wanted the two Celestion Century Vintage speakers that were in the top. Turned out the only issue was a wonky jack which was an easy fix. Much to my surprise, the cab sounded as good as it looks awful. It's full of internal bracing yet really light (not just thanks to the neodynium speakers in it).
20201213_143242.jpg

Attachments

• 20201219_142534.jpg
    20201219_142534.jpg
    366.8 KB · Views: 20
  • 20201219_134938.jpg
    20201219_134938.jpg
    348.8 KB · Views: 22
I have a mako 4x12 that is pretty sweet. Its got wood baffles inside that he said helped with bass focus. It's heavy af. I don't really bring it to shows because I think there were only a handful ever made.

IMG_5900_Original.jpeg
IMG_0582_Original.jpeg

since sold it, but had this 70’s Marshall oddity. I think it was one of their PA/organ type cabs. The back was totally sealed, the grille cloth could be unscrewed and IIRC the baffle was attached to that.

Whatever factory speakers were in there got replaced with K100’s. Was quite a fun cab but cabs just take up so much room….

I've got two unusual ones and they are my only cabs.

bluguitar-nanocab-jpg.13491

First is the BluGuitar Nanocab, a tiny ported 1x12. This is what BluGuitar says about it:

"The NanoCab comes with the BG12-C, a custom-made 12" speaker with a 60 watt load capacity, which was specially developed for use in the NanoCab. Thanks to the special, particularly vibrating membrane, the BG12-C sounds very balanced even at low volumes. The 38 ounce magnet ensures a focused mid-range sound image. The BG12-C combines the qualities of the Celestion Greenback and the Celestion Vintage 30 with higher power handling.

The speaker gives the specially tailored box with the ported housing a balanced character in the direction of clean and blues rock, which makes the NanoCab an ideal cabinet for clean and blues as well as quiet playing at home."

That description matches it to a T, it really is a great home cab that can still get very loud if needed. It's not going to satisfy people who want big low end thump out of their cabs, but in most cases I'd rather leave that to the bass player and kick drum and playing by myself, it has more than enough lows if I just dial up the bass knob on the BluGuitar Amp 1. I have always favored "leaner" bass.

I tried their bigger Fatcab at a store and at lower volumes preferred the tones of the Nanocab. At louder volumes the Fatcab probably comes onto its own.

1702383243797.png

Picture from Bluetone.

The other cab is a Bluetone 4x10 Slanted. It has UK made 10" Celestion Greenbacks and the cab itself is made of paulownia, a somewhat ugly but extremely lightweight wood. The whole cab weighs about 16 kg - less than some 1x12s! It also uses beam blockers on the top speakers to reduce any harsh frequencies. You can also remove one of the lower back panels if you want, but I prefer it closed.

I originally tried this at a local guitar festival through one of Bluetone's Plexi style amps. I absolutely loved how it sounded and when I got home, I kept thinking of the cab. Eventually decided to call Bluetone and go test it out with my own amps and of course had to buy it. Big, sweet sound, light weight. What's not to love!

Compared to 4x12s I find that it has the frequency range shifted up a bit - the bass is far more manageable when you don't need to cut a bunch of it out to avoid boomy sounds.

Hahahahha ya’ll haven’t heard of Klops, have you?

This dude and Billy Blaze should have gone in business together. Pretty sure I thought they were the same person at one point. I don’t believe this was the only time he went to NAMM with this, either.

Not really weird or unique, but kinda rare, I guess? This "oversized" (my term) Mooer 1x12 w/ V30 was released in 2018 and has been pretty much unavailable since 2020, but I've never seen more than 2 others online, one of which was on Mooer's own youtube. Pretty cool considering it's the size of a Fender Twin Reverb but has just 1 speaker.

IMG_5506 1.jpg

P.S. - I think the PRS MT15 cab is pretty much the same.

I'm bored at work so, do you guys have any exotic guitar cabs? I bought this THC 4x12 cab as defective for very little money a few years ago. I really just wanted the two Celestion Century Vintage speakers that were in the top. Turned out the only issue was a wonky jack which was an easy fix. Much to my surprise, the cab sounded as good as it looks awful. It's full of internal bracing yet really light (not just thanks to the neodynium speakers in it).
View attachment 15643

I agree it looks ...wel... uhmm.. okay, lets just say, I find that racing stripes asthetics more than questionable...

Didn't know these cabs were so light weight, apart from theses Neo speakers (speaking of...what are the dark Neo speakers in there?).
Looks like a similar wood (poplar plywood?) Hughes&Kettner used in their GL series 112, 212 and I believe 412 cabs. I have a GL 112, which I would consider to be my oddest. Don't have my own pic of it though.
How ever, these GL cabs were/are also very light weight, and also have a sealed/glued in back (thus front mounted). I consider this to be the best (and simpler) construction for a really tight cab. But the GL ones are ported, which kinda negates that tightness, but makes them fuller sounding and punching above their weight (well...).
But they're even uglier that the THC ones, and that carpet-y stuff these are coated with, is nearly immpossible to get off. Its asthetics are unmatched in a sense, that no matter what current production amp you put these under, it'll look odd.
1702396108186.png

Hahahahha ya’ll haven’t heard of Klops, have you?

This dude and Billy Blaze should have gone in business together. Pretty sure I thought they were the same person at one point. I don’t believe this was the only time he went to NAMM with this, either.

These look weird but the concept is sound.

A Finnish company called TOOB has been making guitar/bass cabs for years. The cabs are basically a speaker mounted into a piece of drainage pipe material or something like that. They look like this:

5ffb3de5f68ce3ad5351fbcf_TOOB_Metro_FR_2021_front_lores.jpg

I've heard these demonstrated at a small gig level - drummer, guitarist and upright bass. They sounded pretty good, even the smallest 6.5" model pictured above was surprisingly good sounding.

I think it's cool when companies challenge the status quo on this stuff. I get why the traditional cab is "the look", but there's definitely ways to do it differently and still sound good.

These look weird but the concept is sound.

A Finnish company called TOOB has been making guitar/bass cabs for years. The cabs are basically a speaker mounted into a piece of drainage pipe material or something like that. They look like this:

5ffb3de5f68ce3ad5351fbcf_TOOB_Metro_FR_2021_front_lores.jpg

I've heard these demonstrated at a small gig level - drummer, guitarist and upright bass. They sounded pretty good, even the smallest 6.5" model pictured above was surprisingly good sounding.

I think it's cool when companies challenge the status quo on this stuff. I get why the traditional cab is "the look", but there's definitely ways to do it differently and still sound good.

Oh dude, I wish those Harmony Central threads were still around. This guy was somethin’ else and had all these explanations for how this was the only true way to mic a cab because it eliminated phasing and blah blah…..they were just speakers in drum shells. Like actual drum shells.

Oh dude, I wish those Harmony Central threads were still around. This guy was somethin’ else and had all these explanations for how this was the only true way to mic a cab because it eliminated phasing and blah blah…..they were just speakers in drum shells. Like actual drum shells.
That's the dark side of inventors. Some of them are just nuts! And the ones that aren't are often not business savvy enough to turn a good idea into a real product worth selling.

Back