8'' speaker / 40+ watts -> guitar cab

Timberwolfe

So I'm trying to go as light and mobile as possible (at gig-able volumes) with a 40w/6 ohms pedalboard amp coupled with a 8" cab (e.g. Orange PPC108, Vox BC108, Joyo Bantcab). However I can see that most 8 inch speakers are 25w max. Would swapping a stock 20w speaker in an 8" cab for a midrange (PA?) speaker work OK? I've checked a few and frequency responses seem to be OK, 50/70 Hz to 5.000/6.000 Hz.
- JBL 8PW PRO
- Fane Sovereign 8-225
- Fane Sovereign Pro 8-225
- Celestion TF0818
- Eminence Alpha-8A

Also, the amp's stated impedance is 6 ohms, so I guess an 8 ohms speaker makes it for a 30w output and a 1-1.5 decibel drop. Therefore, I assume SPL and the amp headroom really come into equation to make it passable volume wise for those in the audience at 20 feet distance?

I have an original Quilter MicroPro 200 with the Celestion TFO818 and I think it's a great speaker. It can easily handle your 40 watt pedalboard amp.

I have an original Quilter MicroPro 200 with the Celestion TFO818 and I think it's a great speaker. It can easily handle your 40 watt pedalboard amp.
What cab is it in? Any palpable difference from yer typical guitar-designated 8" speaker?

It's in the Quilter MicroPro 200 8 combo.

To my ear the frequency response sounds flatter than a typical guitar speaker that has a mid-range emphasis.

Back