What do you consider home/bedroom volumes?

giphy.gif

Amen. Reactive Loads are the single reason I'm able to use the collection of amps I have.

Get a reactive load and a good re-amping poweramp and you can run any tube amp through anything you want at literally any volume. If you've already spent the money on a good tube amp and you have it in a place where you can't always crank it, there is no good reason not to have a re-amping setup, well, other than funding.

Amen. Reactive Loads are the single reason I'm able to use the collection of amps I have.

Get a reactive load and a good re-amping poweramp and you can run any tube amp through anything you want at literally any volume. If you've already spent the money on a good tube amp and you have it in a place where you can't always crank it, there is no good reason not to have a re-amping setup, well, other than funding.
The thing is, if what I do is mostly DI/low volume, a 50w tube into a reactive load into IR’s is kind of a Rube Goldberg machine, when a modeler like the Fractal is just a lot simpler.

The thing is, if what I do is mostly DI/low volume, a 50w tube into a reactive load into IR’s is kind of a Rube Goldberg machine, when a modeler like the Fractal is just a lot simpler.
100%. Two excellent tube amps with built-in load and cab emulation but for studio monitor playing I'll take the FM9 all day long.

I mean, It's about what gets the juices flowing. I love the Axe-Fx 3 and the sound and feel of its modeling, I play it all the time, but sometimes I also just want to flip power and standby switches, and twist chicken head knobs right in front of me, and smell the burning dust.

And it's better if I can do that and still keep total control over the sound level.

Another pointer would be to get a few houseplants
just don’t act like them.
Have you seen Sweetwater’s houseplant infused set designs?

Well, I took it next level.
It truely makes sense..SWreligiously installs houseplants in their sets/backdrops props and..
-personalities🎯
-Scientologists invented houseplants💯

By next level, I took some houseplants I found in
a Michael’s Arts & Craft’s dumpster.
I was like..now those I can use!
So i snatched’em up and begin hours of brainstrorming about how I could bring this situation to life.BOOM..
Fervently irrigated their systems
& veined them up,
Put the love on’em then I installed’em in
my “Magic 57 Mix”🤘🏻

-THEY acclimated on their own after installation..
-blending with the flavor of the vibe of ‘Me Casa’.

The best part is they constantly slowly groove
& change hues’..replenish its colors..color inner landscapes type shit.
-all you gotta do with’em is give’em the love man😎

Attachments

• F5D5F6D3-E5C9-4EF4-8370-1412D9EE45A7.jpeg
    F5D5F6D3-E5C9-4EF4-8370-1412D9EE45A7.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 20
  • B76A544D-02C9-4151-B1B5-E43AF4684B59.jpeg
    B76A544D-02C9-4151-B1B5-E43AF4684B59.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 19
  • C7D0CA37-8188-462D-9559-F3B06149B648.jpeg
    C7D0CA37-8188-462D-9559-F3B06149B648.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Yeah, tube amp -> reactive load -> cab sims sounds good, but it doesn't sound any better than something like Fractal so might as well use the fully digital option because it's more convenient.

I like real amps when I can plug them into a cab and play at loud-ish volumes, but that's just not on the menu for me atm.

To me, someone that only jams to music or tracks at home, these days, the amp/modeler would be in the mix with a comfortable music listen level for me and my wife.

It truely makes sense..SWreligiously installs houseplants in their sets/backdrops props and..
-personalities🎯

So i snatched’em up and begin hours of brainstrorming about how I could bring this situation to life.BOOM..
& veined them up,
my “Magic 57 Mix”🤘🏻

So about 85db you say?

-personalities🎯

& veined them up,
my “Magic 57 Mix”🤘🏻

Man these AI posting bots are getting weird.

My tinnitus is probably 40 db so I like noise above that level, but 65-70 is my limit. I like about 60 or so for most of the time.

I mean, It's about what gets the juices flowing. I love the Axe-Fx 3 and the sound and feel of its modeling, I play it all the time, but sometimes I also just want to flip power and standby switches, and twist chicken head knobs right in front of me, and smell the burning dust.

And it's better if I can do that and still keep total control over the sound level.
Oh trust me, I’d never fault anyone for wanting it both ways; I do, right now. I’m just questioning it for myself personally, since I’ve not turned on my Badlander in a couple weeks, yet play the Fractal and also Helix Native almost daily.

And it also provides you with a free, natural and permanent hi-cut filter

I cannot tell you how many old guitar players end up with the Johnny Winter Effect of
having to constantly roll up the Treble because to them the sound is just too dark and
muffled-----while to everyone else it is beyond piercing. :facepalm

-personalities🎯

& veined them up,
my “Magic 57 Mix”🤘🏻

Haha! And here I thought only Grandma's from 1973 bought and adorned their homes with Plastic Flowers. :idk

I posted this on another forum as well but want to get additional input from people here. Also, I'm guessing that this is the most appropriate place for the topic.

I see bedroom volume regularly referenced and think my definition is skewed compared to the general consensus. This may be because it's just my wife and I and she doesn't care how loud I play. I'll try to be courteous and ask from time to time if I was being too loud. She always says it's not bothering her and I can play louder if I want. A good example is I see people talk about older Mesa Mark amps being insanely loud with the master at 2 and pissing off everyone in the house. On my Mark III with channel volumes between 7-9 so they're balanced out, going through a 4x12 I'll have the master up to 3 for regular at home playing and be fine.

I've measured the dB levels a couple of times through various amps at my normal playing volume. Obviously it would be less in other parts of the house, but measured 6-8 ft. away I average about +/- 105 dB in the room. I really don't play any quieter than that. So if I say I was playing loud it's probably closer to 110 dB if not a bit past that. (Quick aside I do try to keep my exposure at that level within time limits set by OSHA to not damage hearing too much).

So, +/- 105 dB is what I define as bedroom levels. What do you consider bedroom levels?
If you can give a measured dB level great. If not, here's a reference chart with some common noises to make a comparison.

View attachment 10569

The only times I play below 100db@ 5ft or so from my monitor is if I am up working on something or noodling when wifey is asleep. Then I'd guess it's pretty low. Never measured it but prolly around 50 or 60db with Native through my JBL 305's. I loathe using headphones for guitar stuff.

To get room reflections in my house,I have to have it above 95db @5ft

Last edited:
Fwiw, I can listen/play at 80dB/1m 24/7 if I wanted. Depending on my mood I may go lower or higher, during the day 90dB still seem to be ok - living here for 10 years and the neighbours haven't even complained once. But maybe that's because I'm a scary dude (see avatar).

It's not how often they complain; it's how often they change.

Back