What Did You Do With Your Guitar(s) Today?

Yeah I was an offender myself for many years. I'd learned their songs by ear from the records and knew I wasn't playing stuff properly but thought they were close enough and most people at gigs wouldn't have noticed. When I learned them properly they just sound so much better now.
I wAs too when I was in my school years ....that's excusable 🤣

When I see 30 something's hacking it up...oh man.

But they would probably feel the same way with me trying to learn yes songs.....hahahaha.

I had that experience last year with some STP. I've been able to play or at least thought I could play a few of their songs for decades now. We used to do some covers in an old band.

Last year I sat down to properly learn a bunch of their songs and Dean Deleo has some damn interesting chords. I had learned their stuff by ear and had gone for easy chords that fit. The right chords were definitely outside my comfort zone.

I originally thought I'd bang through all the tracks I wanted to learn in a night or two but they kicked my ass for a while until id built up the muscle memory for the new chord shapes.

Yeah, dude, Dean plays real chords! :rofl

Yeah, dude, Dean plays real chords! :rofl

How I felt learning some STP properly.
1000067746.jpg

I take 2 approaches, both for completely different reasons.

Faithful recreation, to learn the parts as recorded and recreate that....this allows me to get inside the musical mind of the player/writer/arranger

Complete blow apart and rebuild and rearrange the song, delivering it in a completely different way...often more elaborate....but sometimes very sparce. I love this method a lot.

I just hate watching someone schlub through a song half hearted .. especially when the songs are amazing to begin with. Just put in the effort or GTFO!😝

this allows me to get inside the musical mind of the player/writer/arranger
That's how I approach it. I was never one to do covers live, just very little and mainly out of respect for the artist or because the situation happened to be right for that. I know quite a lot of covers though, especially acoustic stuff of Zep, America, Bread, Eagles, etc (yacht rock lol)... a lot of '70s music because it's cool.

Got my shipping notice from Warmoth... should have my scalloped neck w/ the locking nut on Friday. :banana
Excited! Never owned a scalloped and have only tried twice. Should be fun. :love
Welcome to the club! Once you get the touch of it it is addictive, and any guitar with frets smaller than a jumbo feels weird, like the fretboard is obstructing your fingers.

Last edited:
I'm learning this Bodyslam song, to play with my band in BKK. I have to get it right because it is like a life's anthem for many Thai people.

I thought that I got it, but wen I record myself at the DAW I'm not entirely satisfied with my playing.

I'm actually practicing the studio version, but keeping an eye on that live performance. Our band is 1-guitar/bass/drums only, no keyboard.

I've just found another epic live performance, at the Grand Palace on Songkran's day (the splash water festival). I can pick more ideas from here.

I have to put more energy on my playing. if I could only find the right IR for the Marshall on my FM3 :rofl😅

Last edited:
Welcome to the club! Once you get the touch of it it is addictive, and any guitar with frets smaller than a jumbo feels weird, like the fretboard is an obstructing your fingers.
Can't wait. I'm used to jumbo frets so transition shouldn't be as weird, I'm hoping.

Fun fact:
My daughter was a huge Lennon fan.
Until she matured and learned he cheated on his first wife and dumped the family-whatever.
So now she don’t like Lennon and even sang “imagine” with me on acoustic at The Strawberry Festival..
Now it’s all George Harrison is her fav Beatle.

I bet your daughter loves Eric Clapton, then, eh?? :idk

:rofl

For me it's when bands play plush and do it at 8 million miles per hr instead of slow and sleazy.

Man, that song NEVER went over for us. Ever! It just plods. And then plods some more. :idk

Sex Type Thing, Wicked Garden, and Vasoline did much better.

Mid-tempo songs blow hard in a bar/club setting.... and so does Pink Floyd and
Alice in Chains (apart from Man In The Box).

Funny how a lot of the stuff I would love to play just isn't appealing in a let's drink,
hang, and have a damn good time.

I've also noticed a lot of bands up the tempos of their songs when they play live.
Just think it translates better to bump the tempo a notch upward versus drag it down.
Not 30bpm upward, obviously! :LOL:

Man, that song NEVER went over for us. Ever! It just plods. And then plods some more. :idk

Funny how a lot of the stuff I would love to play just isn't appealing in a let's drink,

I've also noticed a lot of bands up the tempos of their songs when they play live.
Just think it translates better to bump the tempo a notch upward versus drag it down.
At least none of those are "Exciter" by KISS. A bunch of KISS fans find it to be a "great" song, but all it really amounts to is fucking Bonanza's theme song slowed down and changed a bit, with a boring second riff. Absolutely horrible song.

That said, I would have to agree. I'm not sure plodding tunes would do well in a bar. 8-12bpm would be fine. 16bpm plus would probably be too much, as the riffs, lyrics, and anything else recognizable are more "smeared" together.

In fairness we don't play it quite as slow as the record but some of the bands I've seen play it in the UK end up doing it like they're on speed.

My fav STP songs to play are Down, Interstate Love song and Sex type thing.

Got my shipping notice from Warmoth... should have my scalloped neck w/ the locking nut on Friday. :banana
Excited! Never owned a scalloped and have only tried twice. Should be fun. :love
Sharp learning curve especially live But it has so many advantages if you get used to it. The danger is once you do you stop playing everything else.

Finished up a Hudson Broadcast clone pcb tonight. Been checking it out on my test rig before deciding if it gets boxed up or not.

After an hr or so of playing the broadcast is bloody awesome. So many cool sounds that none of my other drive pedals do, a honestly different flavour of drive pedal for a change.

Tele - broadcast - Marshall = win. I'll get to play it at proper volume when my kids at school tomorrow.

Back