What Did You Do With Your Guitar(s) Today?

This is our 3rd round this yr.. Debby was mostly a rain event. We got 23.4" of rain in our rain gauge over the 3 days it took to pass. Helene was mostly wind. Our barrier islands (Longboat and Anna Maria Island) 6 miles west of us got absolutely destroyed. And now the projected landfall of Milton is right over us as a Cat3-4 Weds night :cuss

I was just telling JT in a PM, I’m not as concerned about the hurricane itself down here in Broward, but the flooding that’ll come along with it. We’ve been getting rained on for the last 3 days and the ground is already submerged, the street next to my apartment was under 4”-6” of water last night and that’s just normal rain water, we’ll be in some shit if the rain doesn’t let up.

I got a buddy who is a huge Metallica fan, dude’s in the fan club and has been to something like 100+ shows. Despite knowing him for about 3 years and as much music as I’ve sent him or he’s seen clips on FB, our discussion the other day turned into “There’s no way you can play the solos in “Fade To Black” and in general, he doesn’t believe anyone but Kirk can play his solos. To be fair, he’s not a musician, but I figured I’d learn the solos note for note for shits and giggles to prove him wrong.

As I was going through the intro solo last night, thinking I’d been playing it right since high school, I realized I was just making up my own little arpeggio bit and when I learned the actual notes, I was actually a bit surprised at how tricky I found just the first couple notes of it, that 14-19 fret stretch/pull-off is tricky on a LP!

Practiced 2x5 hour blocks
Me..well.. my guitar only has 4 strings.. intentionally.
I just keep playing until another string breaks and adjust accordingly.
Something real groovy happens in the process..
I’ve learned a new way to sttretch out leads on one string as opposed to strings being on top of each other, so the pinky finger stretch to the high note or bite of the phrase is like the note on the next higher string.
Ran into some Andy Summers string skippage
melodies while I was gettin’ around those 4 strings.
I play Lenz amps, man.. dude, his stuff you never get rid of.
Like right inbetween Larry and Cameron is where I’d put Lenz.

I like to listen to music during breaks while practicing and hone in on something killer & replicate it in a multiple melodic fragmented kinda way…
Always an artist don’t immediately go for.
Example:
“Time Passages” by Al Stewart.
THAT riff, it’s a hammer-on pull off cutting melody..really hits the authentic heart..
And it’s not the songs repeating melody but a micro -interval in the key of the song.
Gilmour was the best ever at this.
I call it “ Tying it in “.
This is how you sprinkle in deja vu into the song at just the right moments👍.

Well anyways, in my routine I find something rad and do what they did and add something rad to what I’m doing!!!
-While mining the seams of the creative moments..
Word🤘🏻.

After practicing from 3pm til 9pm
Shocked Los Angeles Lakers GIF by Winning Time: The Rise of the Lakers Dynasty

I just noodled for an hour and felt like a god.

Damn you, Ed!

J/k of course :grin

For me the best practicing method involved teaching my kids about music.
I was their teacher for a bit.
My favorite thing to do with them was to listen to say, The Beatles before they picked up their instruments.
We would listen to a song of their liking and discuss what they really liked about the song the most.
A certain sound, a vibe.
I would then ask the million dollar question:
What instrument do they think that sound they liked the most was??🎯.
So much fun!
Until the intersection of burning the midnight oil yo get real good surfaces
.. kids turn to their computers.
They’re so accustomed to “fixing” everything with their hands on a keyboard, -the digital dope has already rewired their reward system pathways.. —the boat left the dock.
My son still gets after it, he’s a beast of drummer and fantastic vocalist.
My daughter went into fashion design and makes her own clothes.

Fun fact:
My daughter was a huge Lennon fan.
Until she matured and learned he cheated on his first wife and dumped the family-whatever.
So now she don’t like Lennon and even sang “imagine” with me on acoustic at The Strawberry Festival..
Now it’s all George Harrison is her fav Beatle.

For me the best practicing method involved teaching my kids about music.
I was their teacher for a bit.
My favorite thing to do with them was to listen to say, The Beatles before they picked up their instruments.
We would listen to a song of their liking and discuss what they really liked about the song the most.
A certain sound, a vibe.
I would then ask the million dollar question:
What instrument do they think that sound they liked the most was??🎯.
So much fun!
Until the intersection of burning the midnight oil yo get real good surfaces
.. kids turn to their computers.
They’re so accustomed to “fixing” everything with their hands on a keyboard, -the digital dope has already rewired their reward system pathways.. —the boat left the dock.
My son still gets after it, he’s a beast of drummer and fantastic vocalist.
My daughter went into fashion design and makes her own clothes.

Fun fact:
My daughter was a huge Lennon fan.
Until she matured and learned he cheated on his first wife and dumped the family-whatever.
So now she don’t like Lennon and even sang “imagine” with me on acoustic at The Strawberry Festival..
Now it’s all George Harrison is her fav Beatle.
I'm glad to see your daughter is no longer wrong. :LOL:

Maybe more an episode of “what did you do with your amp today”

But brought my mark IV home from my drummers last week to go more into tweak mode

I know RHY2 gets overlooked a lot, but I kind of was revamping my settings from scratch and damn…. Absolutely LOVING the R2 sounds I dialed in today. Very similar to my clean tone but just kick ass light break up. Very responsive to my pickups. Spent all day here pretty much

Guess I was inspired by my recent love for edge mode on channel 2 of my V lol

I got a buddy who is a huge Metallica fan, dude’s in the fan club and has been to something like 100+ shows. Despite knowing him for about 3 years and as much music as I’ve sent him or he’s seen clips on FB, our discussion the other day turned into “There’s no way you can play the solos in “Fade To Black” and in general, he doesn’t believe anyone but Kirk can play his solos. To be fair, he’s not a musician, but I figured I’d learn the solos note for note for shits and giggles to prove him wrong.

As I was going through the intro solo last night, thinking I’d been playing it right since high school, I realized I was just making up my own little arpeggio bit and when I learned the actual notes, I was actually a bit surprised at how tricky I found just the first couple notes of it, that 14-19 fret stretch/pull-off is tricky on a LP!

I had that experience last year with some STP. I've been able to play or at least thought I could play a few of their songs for decades now. We used to do some covers in an old band.

Last year I sat down to properly learn a bunch of their songs and Dean Deleo has some damn interesting chords. I had learned their stuff by ear and had gone for easy chords that fit. The right chords were definitely outside my comfort zone.

I originally thought I'd bang through all the tracks I wanted to learn in a night or two but they kicked my ass for a while until id built up the muscle memory for the new chord shapes.

I had that experience last year with some STP. I've been able to play or at least thought I could play a few of their songs for decades now. We used to do some covers in an old band.

Last year I sat down to properly learn a bunch of their songs and Dean Deleo has some damn interesting chords. I had learned their stuff by ear and had gone for easy chords that fit. The right chords were definitely outside my comfort zone.

I originally thought I'd bang through all the tracks I wanted to learn in a night or two but they kicked my ass for a while until id built up the muscle memory for the new chord shapes.
Oh man.....the millions of times I've seen Vasoline butchered.... :facepalm HES NOT PLAYING POWER CHORDS PEOPLE!!!!!

Rant over.

Honestly this band has been done wrong in the cover band world. Most people that cover their songs have no clue how genius the deleos are!!!

A damn travesty....just learn the fingering dammit!!!!

Yeah I was an offender myself for many years. I'd learned their songs by ear from the records and knew I wasn't playing stuff properly but thought they were close enough and most people at gigs wouldn't have noticed. When I learned them properly they just sound so much better now.

Back