What Did You Do With Your Guitar(s) Today?

Really depends on what I'm doing, but I'm using the EXG and SPC controls a lot more lately. For the first year I didn't even touch them, then I was consistently playing with the EXG quite a bit and finding the SPC useless, but recently I started finding with certain tones, the SPC in really light doses, no higher than 2, can do quite a bit, especially when mimicking a humbucker.

I really wish the EQ curves on the SPC weren't how they are, if the bass came in so much later/lighter it'd be a hell of a lot more usable in more situations.

Math What GIF by Riki Barker

Really depends on what I'm doing, but I'm using the EXG and SPC controls a lot more lately. For the first year I didn't even touch them, then I was consistently playing with the EXG quite a bit and finding the SPC useless, but recently I started finding with certain tones, the SPC in really light doses, no higher than 2, can do quite a bit, especially when mimicking a humbucker.

I really wish the EQ curves on the SPC weren't how they are, if the bass came in so much later/lighter it'd be a hell of a lot more usable in more situations.
I use the EXG and SPC a lot instead of boosts most of the time. It allows me to get a lot of different sounds from the two controls. I don't ever go beyond about 7 on the SPC and 5 on EXG, but varying amounts of both really gives me a big variety of sounds. The SPC adds a lot of midrange, and the EXG can get nice as scooped sounding (because it boosts the treble and bass). Using the EMG HZ S1 in the neck with the EXG around 3 and SPC around 5-6 sounds like SRV. Using the EXG HZ S2 (which is more standard output for a humbucker versus the S1/S3) with the SPC around 2-4 and the EXG around 5 gives a nice, standard Stratocaster single coil sound. Rolling out the SPC to off and the EXG to 4 definitely is nice for cleans or light overdrive sounds.

EDIT: I don't think the SPC brings in much, if any bass.

I always get them mixed up too. The SPC is the midrange boost. I do wish it boosted a slightly different freq range, same goes for the EXG, it can get a bit brittle and bloatie, so subtle level is better -- but the problem is the bass and treble boost together so there aren't a lot of happy places.
I much prefer passive tone controls, I normally wire my guitars w/ bass and hi cut controls. A lot more versatile imo.

I always get them mixed up too. The SPC is the midrange boost. I do wish it boosted a slightly different freq range, same goes for the EXG, it can get a bit brittle and bloatie, so subtle level is better -- but the problem is the bass and treble boost together so there aren't a lot of happy places.
I much prefer passive tone controls, I normally wire my guitars w/ bass and hi cut controls. A lot more versatile imo.
The EMG single coils are more neutral in general. Having the EXG boost the bass and treble frequencies the control adjusts can give different types of Stratocaster single coil type sounds. The SPC mid boost boosts a ton of midrange at the max setting, which can kick the front end of your amp into higher overdrive/distortion, and sound more "humbucker" like. Adding in the EXG can voice the EMG single coil with some of the SPC to sound like different humbucker voicings.

The EMG single coils are more neutral in general. Having the EXG boost the bass and treble frequencies the control adjusts can give different types of Stratocaster single coil type sounds. The SPC mid boost boosts a ton of midrange at the max setting, which can kick the front end of your amp into higher overdrive/distortion, and sound more "humbucker" like. Adding in the EXG can voice the EMG single coil with some of the SPC to sound like different humbucker voicings.
Yeah, if it works for you that's great. (y)
Part of the reason I like the S single so much is it's perfect out of the gate for me, there's no need to change it at the guitar level. Beautifully clear and open, bell-tone, bright but not strident. Sounds great with gain too, plenty of punch. Love it in the neck position. The 85 should be fine too, not as bright as the 81 which I think will work well -- although I've not tried one with a Floyd yet, so we'll see.

I swapped the hardtail bridge on my Tom Delonge Strat to a nice Gotoh one, and it's made all the difference I could have hoped for. The original saddles are some rough and matt/dull material that's pretty uninspiring. The guitar resonated pretty well but there was a scooped sound to it that I put down to the hardware. I had great luck putting a Gotoh trem and bone nut on my other strat, so I ordered the Gotoh hardtail.

Well, it's now my most acoustically resonant guitar, and has really filled out the mids when plugged in, which is a huge boon the the Invader pickup. 10/10, would recommend.

Old:
highlight_fen_014802_feature_03.jpg

New:
510FX-6-CK-1024x1024.jpg

I'm considering ripping out the all electronics out of my Schecter C-1 and building a Warmoth super strat partscaster using them. The C-1 was never a favorite of mine but I keep it around for the Sustainic pup matched with the GK-3. I have another guitar for the GK-3. Here's a quick mockup of a basswood body with a Zebrawood top, natural satin finish, and a Birdseye Maple neck.

This would be my 3rd partscaster. The two partscasters I previously build are among my favorite guitars. Whatcha think?

Attachments

• Pamela Mockup.png
    Pamela Mockup.png
    249.5 KB · Views: 14
  • Schecter C-1.jpeg
    Schecter C-1.jpeg
    123.3 KB · Views: 15
Aside from frustrate the hell out of myself with the Pedaltrain Terra 42" board I ordered, that I'm pretty sure is going to end up in a landfill and my pocketbook $300 lighter, absolutely nothing. I should've just stuck to the carpet and mdf board I have in the living room.

The pedaltrain was a waste of time, effort, and money. Whatever.

Aside from frustrate the hell out of myself with the Pedaltrain Terra 42" board I ordered, that I'm pretty sure is going to end up in a landfill and my pocketbook $300 lighter, absolutely nothing. I should've just stuck to the carpet and mdf board I have in the living room.

Can you elaborate? I have the same pt2 (I think) that I’ve had for like 16years and would like some more breathing room so have Ben looking at current gen offerings

42"? Do you only use big box Moog pedals? :grin
The only issue I could see with this is there's too much space, haha. And if you do fill it, that's a ton of wire and power management, not to mention properly securing everything. Yeah, I guess I could see that being frustrating.

42"? Do you only use big box Moog pedals? :grin
The only issue I could see with this is there's too much space, haha. And if you do fill it, that's a ton of wire and power management, not to mention properly securing everything. Yeah, I guess I could see that being frustrating.
I have a wah and two Mission Engineering exp pedals. The screws will not screw in enough without the feet like a Rat when you remove the feet. I didn't have an adequate length cable to go from the tuner on the lower portion of the board in the center to the GT1000 Core to the right of center. As such, I had to move the GT1000 Core to the bottom row near the tuner. However, the expression pedal for the back panel of the Core requires a straight cable, pretty much, so I couldn't put my Guv'nor on the board. I also couldn't put the EMG ES-918 external power where I wanted it next to the tuner/wah. On and on.

This one went on the bench today. It was neglected for far too long.. A JTV-89F
These are actually very decent guitars. This one got a sorely needed cleaning, fret board conditioning, fret polishing and set up after restringing.

Attachments

• JTV-89f.JPG
    JTV-89f.JPG
    804.9 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Back