What book are you currently reading?

This place will make us all gearicidal sooner or later. :hmm

:rofl
Bill Murray Film GIF

Aristotle on False Reasoning: Language and the World in the Soiphistical Refutations by Scott D. Schreiber

Incredibly relevant in the modern world, unfortunately. We used to know the difference between Reason and Sophistry (I learned in elementary school but it was taught/bullied out of me at University).

Re-reading The Devils by Dostoevsky. Incredeibly relevant...again unfortunately.

I'll look for lighter material shortly!

Aristotle on False Reasoning: Language and the World in the Soiphistical Refutations by Scott D. Schreiber

Incredibly relevant in the modern world, unfortunately. We used to know the difference between Reason and Sophistry (I learned in elementary school but it was taught/bullied out of me at University).
The problem is that both sides (of any argument; not necessarily in terms of politics) engage in deceptive tactics to prove their point(s). Sad, frankly.

The problem is that both sides (of any argument; not necessarily in terms of politics) engage in deceptive tactics to prove their point(s). Sad, frankly.
Aristotle is well aware of this, hence the method of Reason (evidence, logic etc), while flawed, has advantages over Sophistry (us being the measure of all things) elaborated over many centuries, starting with Plato and Aristotle.

New favorite author -David Freed's Flat spin ! Ray Porter brings to life this epic tale with caustic humor that had me cracking up through out. In is the tale of a former bad ass military guy who is tasked to solve the murder of a former military buddy who stole his wife. The voices the Ray Porter does is amazing. From his Jewish land lady (think Magda from Something about Mary but waaay funnier), to all sorts of other characters. Just enough action and suspense to keep you entertained the entire book -cannot say that about a lot out there

Last edited:
Aristotle is well aware of this, hence the method of Reason (evidence, logic etc), while flawed, has advantages over Sophistry (us being the measure of all things) elaborated over many centuries, starting with Plato and Aristotle.
Evidence also meant something else I would guess :unsure:

Evidence also meant something else I would guess :unsure:
Why? Aristotle basically invented logic and the scientific method as our best way of ascertaining the validity of an argument. Looking at fossils of sea shells on mountaintops, Aristotle considered evidence that it had to be under water at some point. He didn't suss out plate tectonics at a glance, however.

He didn't get everyrthing right first go, but the methiod of hypothesis - thesis - theory which is then updated when new evidence is knocking at the current theory has worked rather well.

Sophistry not so much.

Back