What Are You Working On Right Now?

Oh, so this is more like the Earvana nuts - hence compensated on a per string base.
Uh..., perhaps. A quick search showed some results that seemed to indicate (I'm not a lawyer, and I don't play one on TV either) that EB prevailed in an infringement case against Earvana.

Uh..., perhaps. A quick search showed some results that seemed to indicate (I'm not a lawyer, and I don't play one on TV either) that EB prevailed in an infringement case against Earvana.

Oh, that's interesting. If I had to guess, I'd have said that Earvana came up with their nuts earlier. Kinda like a better answer (and especially aftermarket-compatible) answer to the Feiten Tuning.

I need to pick up guitar again and start practicing… only time i seem to play its when i have a gig….

At the moment i find hard to find time to practice… when i have time i have no mood to play and just want to watch YT crap….

In general trying to finish rhythm parts for Tornado of souls…. So i can start work on legendary solo …..

Last edited:
Tornado of souls…. So i can start work on legendary solo …..
Your pinky better be fucking LOOONNNGGG!!

Oh, and just gotta say...
That ONE note in that solo is, OH SOOO :chef

Ya'll know the one I'm talking about!

(If you don't, how can you call yourself a <rock> guitar player?)

I need to pick up guitar again and start practicing… only time i seem to play its when i have a gig….

At the moment i find hard to find time to practice… when i have time i have no mood to play and just want to watch YT crap….

In general trying to finish rhythm parts for Tornado of souls…. So i can start work on legendary solo …..
Oh btw, Ben Eller has a great lesson on it, if you're interested.
And Kiko has a video of him practicing it. ("Practicing" yeah. :facepalm )

My pinky is an inch shorter than my ring! (25 1/2 millis)

Fwiw, just because I used to observe all that kinda stuff when teaching much more: It's usually not the pinky being all that much shorter but rather our hand palms being shaped vastly different (so they "fall off" on the pinky side a lot more). Obviously results in similar things regarding fret access, stretchings and what not, yet quite interesting.

Still working on Jamie's crying
Found out that yes im not tone deaf and that song isn't exactly Eb tuning, it is just shy of being tuned a half step so have to use my ears as opposed to the tuner on my FM9
and the B string has to be flatter than usual due to how he does some chords,
Ben Explains it here (time stamped)

And this part Here in the song is where its important to sound In tune (also time stamped)

Courtesy of Allen Garber…tuning of the main guitar on Jamie’s Crying.

1st string: Eb + 7.7 cents
2nd string: Bb + 7.9 cents
3rd string: F# + 9.6 cents
4th string: C# +10.0 cents
5th string: Ab +10.0 cents
6th string: Eb +7.7 cents

I practice so many songs, lots of Dream Theater (of course), ever since getting serious (about 20 years later than I should have!) about improving my playing abilities, and one of the closest songs I have all the rhythm parts almost up to speed, is Never Enough.

SUCH as fun song to play! I used to be so sloppy in general, so it's taken a lot of work- fixing bad habits, changing some of my technique, etc., but I'm slowly getting there. Damn, it's hard! LOTS of metronome work to get riffs even.

And every now and again I have a really good practice session, where I can clearly see that yep, I think I'm gonna get this one. (Fuck that solo though! Haha)

Tonight was one of those! Love it! :rawk

I practice so many songs, lots of Dream Theater (of course), ever since getting serious (about 20 years later than I should have!) about improving my playing abilities, and one of the closest songs I have all the rhythm parts almost up to speed, is Never Enough.

SUCH as fun song to play! I used to be so sloppy in general, so it's taken a lot of work- fixing bad habits, changing some of my technique, etc., but I'm slowly getting there. Damn, it's hard! LOTS of metronome work to get riffs even.

And every now and again I have a really good practice session, where I can clearly see that yep, I think I'm gonna get this one. (Fuck that solo though! Haha)

Tonight was one of those! Love it! :rawk
I love Dream Theater, but I never really bothered to learn any of their songs. They always seemed impossible to play :rofl

But that changed about two weeks ago when I decided to learn the spirit carries on solo. Wish me luck! I'll share my noodling here if i'm making some decent progress :D:D

Thanks for the flowers - but it's pretty much the style dictating a lot of the note choices. Which is why I like country a lot (at least as a learning tool).
I listened to it late last night as well -- really digging your trem work and overall vibe.(y)
Tone is very good too. What you using?

Tone is very good too. What you using?

Pretty much sure it's the usual suspects (as I hardly ever change a lot of things when recording quickly without much focus on the tone), Mooer Yellow Comp (likely with both threshold and tone turned up a tad more than my stock setting), Amplifirebox MkI Bman /w customized IR and some EQ mangling (to avoid low end flubbiness). The stock bridge pickup of the Schecter (indonesian Nick Johnston) seems to work quite fine for such things, even when running as a humbucker (splitted it sounds like @ss, so did the two stock single coils that I replaced). Has enough output to make the Yellow Comp act country-ish but not so much as to lose all clarity.

Courtesy of Allen Garber…tuning of the main guitar on Jamie’s Crying.

1st string: Eb + 7.7 cents
2nd string: Bb + 7.9 cents
3rd string: F# + 9.6 cents
4th string: C# +10.0 cents
5th string: Ab +10.0 cents
6th string: Eb +7.7 cents
I remember when Allen first posted this to MetroAmp forum.

Those guys scorned him to death for it. :ROFLMAO:

I went out and bought a Peterson Strobe Tuner and sent Allen a personal 'Thank You", because this info was nothing short of a revelation.

I remember when Allen first posted this to MetroAmp forum.

Those guys scorned him to death for it. :ROFLMAO:

I went out and bought a Peterson Strobe Tuner and sent Allen a personal 'Thank You", because this info was nothing short of a revelation.
That’s insane that someone would bitch him out over it.

I learned about it when he asked me to engrave his EVH sanctioned transcription of Eruption for him so it was shareable.

And that too was revealing. Especially how many of the guys we think of nailing it actually ballpark it.

He’s good people too.

Here’s the Eruption thing I typed in and sync’s for him.

Back