What Are You Working On Right Now?

The hell are you talking about?
Gypsy jazz guitars have the fret position dots at 5, 7, 10 and 12 traditionally. Obviously modern guitars are 3,5,7,9,and 12. The 12 is also a single dot . It makes the 10 look like 12 at a quick glance. This and the 26.5 scale moves everything a bit. Ambiguity is not something you want with this music that is testing your fingerboard knowledge every change. Now add zero forgiving playing response on the instrument.

I had a great day (wow, I didn't realize it was this late) practicing practically all day. Just took a break from about a 3 hour marathon, all dedicated to the various parts of Dream Theater's The Count of Tuscany. I never really cared for that song until recently, and because it's at a slower tempo (98 bpm) I may actually get these riffs up to speed. :rawk

Learning new and refreshing old tunes. Pretty much my usual schedule when there's gigs around (and phew, there's quite some, at least for this and next month).
Fortunately, even if it's usually corporate gigs I'm playing, I almost never need to cover songs 1:1, so it's rather all about internalizing chords, melodies and form, plus some kicks, stops and what not. So I'm usually grabbing the originals and just play along with them, first some noodling to grasp the overall scheme, then some chord playing, followed by some sheet writing (if required), then some more "exact" noodling (hitting kicks, melodic hot spots and what not).
Actually quite some fun.

Decided to take some funk courses to try and be better than a complete hack.

It's surprising how tricky it is to have good rhythm and dynamics. There's a super basic 16th note exercise on a single string, two palm muted notes then two choked notes, repeated. Start to realize how many great guitarists put in so much time getting these simplest things nailed.

I once read that James Brown said it was the hardest thing to get musicians to do. Everyone wants
to be cute and show all their tricks. JB is like, "Knock that shit off and stick to that 1." :rimshot

Tele-centric licks. More Tele-centric licks.

It feels alien even to me, and maybe that is why it is much
fun and so stimulating. I am learning something new that
I have not attempted in the past. This means when I pick
up the guitar I play differently than I would if I picked up
a Les Paul or a Superstrat.

Fun is fun! :beer

Tele-centric licks. More Tele-centric licks.

It feels alien even to me, and maybe that is why it is much
fun and so stimulating. I am learning something new that
I have not attempted in the past. This means when I pick
up the guitar I play differently than I would if I picked up
a Les Paul or a Superstrat.

Fun is fun! :beer
Do you like Andy Wood ?

Writing a Satriani-esque track. 🙂
Scared Star Trek GIF

I just got back in town from a work trip so looking forward to playing guitar rest of the weekend. No specific techniques. Mainly focused on writing lately. Although I haven't been finger pickin acoustic too much these last few months so need to brush off the rust a bit.

Solo on Good Times, Bad Times by Led Zep. I should have it all down at 70% speed this week and then the real work begins to speed it back up.
Then when you get those sextuplets, you can move onto Mr. Crowley.
It's very similar, only faster. :rawk

Or maybe go with Godzilla as a stepping stone, since it also has a similar pentatonic, sextuplet riff in the solo.

All good stuff!

Then when you get those sextuplets, you can move onto Mr. Crowley.
It's very similar, only faster. :rawk

Or maybe go with Godzilla as a stepping stone, since it also has a similar pentatonic, sextuplet riff in the solo.

All good stuff!
Ocean Size by Janes Addiction has a very similar and faster run as well. I tried that one first, but soon realized I should start with Led Zep

Last edited:
Uhm, trying to do my best country boy impersonation over this backing track for a FB weekly-backing-track-noodling group (you are supposed to post a video, so people know there's no faking).

Starting to become a PITA because I really want to get at least some consecutive 8th note runs done.
In case I manage to record something ok-ish, I'll keep you folks informed...

Uhm, trying to do my best country boy impersonation over this backing track for a FB weekly-backing-track-noodling group (you are supposed to post a video, so people know there's no faking).

Starting to become a PITA because I really want to get at least some consecutive 8th note runs done.
In case I manage to record something ok-ish, I'll keep you folks informed...

Fwiw, here's a little something I noodled over that backing. Could've undusted the Yamaha Pacifica-Tele, but hey, fake-slide /w whammybar is fun, too (got a better take before but the video didn't record).

Back