What Are You Working On Right Now?

Chickens and noodles.

Licking Jackie Chan GIF

I've given up on Fairies Wear Boots the 2 or 3 times I've tried it in the past, but damnit, not giving up this time. A little bit of work on it every day and it's improving.

I know I've mentioned in another thread (or earlier in this one?) - just such an odd thing to play. Maybe you need to chop off your finger tips and play an SG? Or maybe picking on Ozzy incessantly will prove enlightening? :unsure:

View attachment 19818

No problem with the first 2 bars, I'm using my mf on the 1st and picking the 4th string - and both strings ring out well as I'm kind of squeezing them together.

The trouble starts in the 3rd bar, sliding 9 to 12 and then hitting the 10, and the pattern goes up and back down. For the life of me I can't get a clean 1st string note with just my mf plucking, and have had to resort to upstroking it with the pick (but it's very wasteful in movement). Maybe I need to grow a nail (not happening lol) or put a banjo finger pick on? :facepalm Would be mucho easier if I could use my mf here. Or I could just give it my true MF :cool: hehehe.

Any one else remember playing this? This is tabbed in E Std but I've heard Iommi played it in C#? Maybe it's a forked up tab?
Looks like it's all octaves...
To keep the low notes on a wound string, but maybe make it easier to play, what if you moved the high e notes over to the B string, would that help? Then maybe pick everything, as opposed to chicken pickin...?

Just a thought. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It might get you closer to your goal.
Or maybe not .
Disclaimer:
I’m a novice and a noodler so there’s that 😝
Yankin it up, like I mean it definitely works. Thank you very very much :)
Looks like it's all octaves...
To keep the low notes on a wound string, but maybe make it easier to play, what if you moved the high e notes over to the B string, would that help? Then maybe pick everything, as opposed to chicken pickin...?

Just a thought. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I've seen some tabs with it that way, and that's how you USUALLY see octaves, and it's easy to mute the middle string. Trying to play it the "right" way, if I'm even doing that lol. I'm getting it down, but if I end up punting - I'll definitely try this. Thank you very much!

Oh, and more volume ain't hurting one bit, either.:headbang

Yankin it up, like I mean it definitely works. Thank you very very much :)

I've seen some tabs with it that way, and that's how you USUALLY see octaves, and it's easy to mute the middle string. Trying to play it the "right" way, if I'm even doing that lol. I'm getting it down, but if I end up punting - I'll definitely try this. Thank you very much!

Oh, and more volume ain't hurting one bit, either.:headbang
I only glanced at it, but now I see certain notes are played at the same time, so what I suggested may not work.
But..., could you just fingerpick both notes, and hold the pick btw 1st & 2nd fingers while you do? Or put it in your mouth? Or toss it into the audience, then grab a new one from wherever your tech stashes them for ya? ;)

What about using a thumb-pick? Might help change the ergonomics of your hand a little, so your middle finger is positioned maybe a bit more comfortable for you?

I only glanced at it, but now I see certain notes are played at the same time, so what I suggested may not work.
But..., could you just fingerpick both notes, and hold the pick btw 1st & 2nd fingers while you do? Or put it in your mouth? Or toss it into the audience, then grab a new one from wherever your tech stashes them for ya? ;)

What about using a thumb-pick? Might help change the ergonomics of your hand a little, so your middle finger is positioned maybe a bit more comfortable for you?
The parts with two notes are smooth, picking on G and mf on high E - it was was a little weird, at first but came quickly. (TWSS again)

I wonder how peeps sounded trying to play this by ear when it first came out???

Trying to play it the "right" way,

I'm working this up to speed. (Never Enough intro by Dream Theater.)
Repeats 3x.
1710112407226.png

It's at 128 bpm, which is fast. I cannot do those quick stretches at that tempo, clean, (12-7, 7-3, 7-2), but I know JP plays it this way. I re-tabbed it like this:

Never Enough.png

which eliminates those stretches, and I use a little, economy up-stroke to catch those 3 spots (7-7, 2-3, 2-2) on the A to E string.

Point being, playing it this way makes it easier for me, and yet, it still sounds the same.

My thinking is, if it sounds good, play it however it works for you.

Did you come up with a good patch?
Should name it Oberon

:headbang
Heh, no, using an Iommi patch from AxeChange. Just realizing how long this song is. Got the first solo down pretty well but there's 2 more and more rhythm, too.

Heh, no, using an Iommi patch from AxeChange. Just realizing how long this song is. Got the first solo down pretty well but there's 2 more and more rhythm, too.
Awesome Hope you will share it with us when done :chef
Is that patch good? or are you tweaking it ?

Awesome Hope you will share it with us when done :chef
Is that patch good? or are you tweaking it ?
I'm shy and would have to get a DAW running but I may!

It's pretty good, other than the fuzz OD, couldn't stand it.

I'm shy and would have to get a DAW running but I may!

It's pretty good, other than the fuzz OD, couldn't stand it.
Yes you should, would be awesome, no need to be shy here im not that good and i still post cause peeps here are awesome
as for patches when id use them, I just use them as a stepping stone/foundation and mod and tweak them to my liking
if didn't like them id make my own, often times they would be much more to my liking

:beer

Last edited:
Back