What a F***KD DAY FOR TECHNOLOGY!

Bob Zaod

Rock Star
On my my to do recon for an outdoor gig coming up, my S22 phone up and dies. Reboot it and screen is just all green. factory reset still green. Hardware failure. Band practice 2 hours later (decided last night to try 3.60 again) I turn everything on and zero output. Checked everything including cables and even rebooted twice. No output at all to my amp or PA. Factory reset and have output again but have to choose a factory preset for band practice. Got through it but rolled back to 3.50. I am thinking something is wrong with my LT it will not take 3.60 without massive issues. This is the first firmware update I have had big problems with since owning HX stuff.

Meh...someone had an article to write.

It was a decent storm, but most people don't realize how frequent or common this is, nor CME's.

My phone was just slightly more active with alerts, but there were much stronger major storms last year. Also it's nearing the beginning of Summer and Solar activity increases.

I had 2 Kemper units go south on my over a span of 2 years back in 2012 and 2014.
It can happen with anything and everything. My FM3 had to go back for screen replacement.
The joystick on my Helix malfunctioned and was replaced under warranty.

Funny....I've only had one preamp tube go on me though over all of these years and that was with a brand new amp and recently.

Still.....I am thinking that I do like the Kemper stage just for another option. Borrowing one for the week tomorrow and will try.

I got a scare on my phone the first time I had let it die. I charge it, then power it on, and the screen is blank. Had to wait until I got home to my computer so I could google it.

Turns out a setting makes the screen go really dim when it gets below a certain amount of battery life, and the screen doesn't revert back to the brightness I had it set on, once the phone was charged!!

I had to go into a really dark room so I could see the screen, which I could barely see, so I could reset the screen brightness. I still haven't figured out how to deal with it, and I've let my phone completely die enough times now, that I can reset it without being able to actually see the screen. But resetting it that first time was tricky, to say the least!

Freaked me out though, since I initially thought my screen was fried.

I had 2 Kemper units go south on my over a span of 2 years back in 2012 and 2014.
It can happen with anything and everything. My FM3 had to go back for screen replacement.

Funny....I've only had one preamp tube go on me though over all of these years and that was with a brand new amp and recently.

Still.....I am thinking that I do like the Kemper stage just for another option. Borrowing one for the week tomorrow and will try.
Yes -It happens. Bought an RJM Mastermind GT22 in the pre-order way back when to replace an expanded Axess FX1 board. Life got in the way, preferences changed, and I've barely got around to ever using it.

Fired it up a couple of years ago to start to learn its architecture, and one of the LCD screens had already lost a color sitting still for ~10 years. Ron helped me out, of course to fix it. Champion guy.

Technology: Use it or lose it.

I have the luck with tube amps. Put them in storage amd when I pull them out they fail to work.

Frustrating and usually is due to the type of solder used.

I have the luck with tube amps. Put them in storage amd when I pull them out they fail to work.
I had an opposite experience: My Mesa Dual Rec would go almost silent on 2 channels after it warmed up. I stopped using it, and never got around to getting the problem sorted.

Years later I fire it up, and it works fine. And I've used it many times since w/o any issues. Very weird. Maybe I cleaned the tube pins/sockets, but I can't remember doing so.

I had an opposite experience: My Mesa Dual Rec would go almost silent on 2 channels after it warmed up. I stopped using it, and never got around to getting the problem sorted.

Years later I fire it up, and it works fine. And I've used it many times since w/o any issues. Very weird. Maybe I cleaned the tube pins/sockets, but I can't remember doing so.
Great to hear. Haven't had any issues with the Rectos.

I always stress when the amps go south. When they fail for no reason after sitting it's the worst for me. Has happened 3 times. Older amps seems not to be an issue but newer amp with lead free solder can.

Luckily I have a great tech.

I have a pair of Atomic Neo wedges that both failed within a couple days of each other. Happened right at the start of the covid lockdown when Atomic customer service went MIA.

Still sitting broken in the closet. I should reach out and see if Atomic is back in business and get them RMA'd for repair.

Back