Way OT. Who has a camper?

JiveTurkey

Goatlord
TGF Recording Artist
So odd and totally out of character for me.

Started getting an inkling for a camper when things locked down a few years back. I gravitate in and out of shopping for one on a regular basis and am currently back in shopping for one again. I am not interested in that tent life but don't have a desire to go (financially) nuts with a tour bus.

I want something drivable; not something I have to haul. Though I am not totally opposed to a small 5th wheel? Any words of experience on here on the subject? It seems like a little bit more expensive of a hobby than $4k amps I am not going to buy :unsure:

You can rent any type you want and give it a whirl before you buy your new rig

I’m a tent guy… but I know lots of people that are not

I love going new places
Yeah we've looked into that. The thing I am most interested in as far as judging what I am going to think of the experience is the setup and driving process. On the 5th wheel note, my biggest curiosity hinges on how much I will hate hauling the d@mn thing around :cuss:rofl

I wouldn’t want to dissuade anyone from doing something that gets them outdoors more, but unless you are about that life, or retired, (and have easy space to store it) I’d probably rent one for trips for a year or so to either see if it sticks, or see what you really want/need. My neighbor bought one before Covid and lucked out selling it at the tail end of the Covid when you could name a price for anything. They went on some cool trips, but like most things the idea of it was more than the reality. It’s like boats, it’s better to have a friend with a boat then to actually own one. :rofl

That said, I’d love to have one too. (In theory lol) I’d probably gravitate to a teardrop or popup if not for the rug rats. But teardrops/popups seem like the best and worst of both worlds. :ROFLMAO::unsure:

renting seems like such a better play depending on how often you really are going to use it. i wouldnt want to have to store it, insure it, or feel pressured to use it. i def would not get a loan to get one either.

How many bodies are going to share the insides while you're out on the road and a full blown crappy weather day hits? I would definitely rent until you find out what size you really need if you consider having to stay indoors for an entire day. Assuming you have more than one person, if you go too small you could end up wanting to fist fight by the end of a trip!

Honestly; it's probably an inclination I am going to keep trying to let it pass. I know it isn't a wise decision on the financial spectrum (generally speaking) and grabbing something that's a "fixer upper" is not what I want to spend time doing either.

I’m a tent guy… but I know lots of people that are not

I love going new places

tent-camping.gif

Modern day 5th wheel and RV "camping" is not, technically speaking, "camping," in my book.

Don't forget the Sat dish and Big screen TV. Several slide outs so you can chill on the sofa,
and a shower better than the one you have at home. :LOL:

Oh, and they are so massive that dozens of them jam packed at the local KOA Campground
will leave you wanting to go back home and get some privacy ASAP!

The great outdoors is great, though. :beer

My neighbors bought a nice trailer during COVID, and it has been set up in their yard ever
since. They use the shit out of it. Never been hauled. I think it is for overspill company, and
when Mom and Dad are not getting along too well. :LOL:

I am with the "Just rent" crowd. Upfront costs on a nice RV or 5th Wheel are outrageous. Then you
need a stout truck with a decent engine and tranny if you are going to haul a 5th Wheel. Forget
about efficiency and being economical towing the thing. Ongoing maintenance can be like a
house. Those roofs are notorious for eventually needing repair. Flat roofs with no pitch? WTF?

I had a Vanagon for a couple of years around the age of 30 and that was fun. I could see doing
something like that again when I am totally unhinged and childless down the road. :beer

We have a "teardrop trailer" and love it. It's pretty bare bones, basically a bed on wheels with no floor space, with a few cupboards beside the bed (+AC and heat if needed), but my favourite part is the outdoor kitchen that opens up from a hatch outside on the back. Super fun to have a little cook space + party-and-mix-drinks spot on the outside. And a reasonably comfy, dry spot to sleep with my wife at night. Kids are outside in a tent with the dog. :)

It's very light and can basically be towed by anything (1100 lbs). I wouldn't want to deal with anything larger and we're not into it enough to get something bigger. It's great for a few camping trips each summer. (We had them remove the giant "Bushwhacker" logos.)

american-made-bushwhacker-teardrop-trailer-brings-affordable-off-road-capabilities-168657_1.jpg

What was the TV show where each episode was about a super rich couple buying and then customizing an RV with a company that specialized in over the top types of upgrades? Use to watch as a guilty pleasure to see people blowing ridiculous sums of money.
454a70ce205fa8cd0b720d6a9615cec2.png

20230705_192930.jpg

Was gifted this '91 Coleman Pop Up right before covid and the third child was born. Finally took it out 4 years later on its maiden Voyage for the kids' first camping trip about 45 minutes away from home. Hauled by our minivan (no sweat) and it was a pretty good time. Nostalgia vibes from the kids as I used to go camping every year with a big group of family. Fun but a lot of work - the camper is almost as old as me and needs a little love - I just fixed some weirdness with the roof/body and need to replace every single piece of elastic.

We have a sink, three beds, some cabinets, stove, heater and electricity either by hookup or marine battery (we have solar charger too). It wasn't the perfect trip by far but it was fun enough to make me want to also remove and fix the stabilizer jacks :cuss

I also need to build this outdoor garage canopy thing that we bought to house it. Each of the three covers we have bought for the camper didn't last very long. Especially with the custom made bike rack on top from my uncle.

I got really into the idea of either getting a large Class C and pulling a CR-V behind it or a 30'-ish tow behind trailer for awhile. With my job, I can essentially work from anywhere with a 'net connection. I get terminal wanderlust from time to time and love to explore new places, so it seemed like a great idea.

Went to various camper dealers, did a ton of research, really was beginning to get into the nitty-gritty of pulling the trigger then sat & talked to a buddy who has a Class A that he and his wife live in half the year (they're retired).

After 45 minutes on the phone with him I was all about that AirBnB life. :rofl

My main takeaway and dissuader was that campers/RVs are A) a sizable financial investment that can and will generate large expenses when you least expect them and 2) require a significant amount of maintenance that takes a sizeable bite out of your schedule on the daily.

Another thing that was painfully obvious in my discovery process is that most campers/RVs, these days at least, are very poorly made with cheap materials that are not meant to withstand real life but more for "gentle" use 10-20 days a year.

For just weekend getaways, the smaller tow behinds posted above are probably great. For something more like a modest hotel/living space on wheels, it just doesn't make time/money sense to get one vs AirBnB or VRBO'ing. There are some really cool off the grid-ish AirBnB's out there and after a long day of travel, I'd rather get to enjoying life and not worrying how long I stand in the shower. YMMV.

All that being said, I still have a pipe dream of buying an old tour bus (think band, not senior citizens touring Vegas) and living in that when I retire. Or, more likely, just going and living on a cruise ship...

Back