Way OT. Who has a camper?

I got really into the idea of either getting a large Class C and pulling a CR-V behind it or a 30'-ish tow behind trailer for awhile. With my job, I can essentially work from anywhere with a 'net connection. I get terminal wanderlust from time to time and love to explore new places, so it seemed like a great idea.

Went to various camper dealers, did a ton of research, really was beginning to get into the nitty-gritty of pulling the trigger then sat & talked to a buddy who has a Class A that he and his wife live in half the year (they're retired).

After 45 minutes on the phone with him I was all about that AirBnB life. :rofl

My main takeaway and dissuader was that campers/RVs are A) a sizable financial investment that can and will generate large expenses when you least expect them and 2) require a significant amount of maintenance that takes a sizeable bite out of your schedule on the daily.

Another thing that was painfully obvious in my discovery process is that most campers/RVs, these days at least, are very poorly made with cheap materials that are not meant to withstand real life but more for "gentle" use 10-20 days a year.

For just weekend getaways, the smaller tow behinds posted above are probably great. For something more like a modest hotel/living space on wheels, it just doesn't make time/money sense to get one vs AirBnB or VRBO'ing. There are some really cool off the grid-ish AirBnB's out there and after a long day of travel, I'd rather get to enjoying life and not worrying how long I stand in the shower. YMMV.

All that being said, I still have a pipe dream of buying an old tour bus (think band, not senior citizens touring Vegas) and living in that when I retire. Or, more likely, just going and living on a cruise ship...
You are right on the money for my POV as well. Home maintenance is a trudge let alone a second home on wheels that's 10x as shoddy :rofl

I'd love to have that non-existent class B that's one step above a mini van on the outside and the taj mahal on the inside. For less than $10k

:unsure::oops::oops:

<--- agrees with the thread consensus

For a couple times a year, renting is the way to go. Especially if you plan on getting a motorhome.

OTOH if you're cool with a little mild towing.. a pop-up like Alex has can work great.

My dad bought a pop-up years ago for a great deal on Craigslist and we used the crap out of it. Years later sold it for what he paid and upgraded to another lightly used tow behind.

We use it twice a year for nascar at minimum. Sleeps 6, toilet, shower.. Great little camper. Best part is almost anything can tow it. (my dad uses a Chevy traverse, for instance)

20221103_174340.jpg

Back