Walk thru my latest fever dream/delusion of grandeur with me, won't you? (Red Vinter thread)

Connected with a drummer yesterday who not only wants to play the same sort of music, but lives about 15 minutes away, has a basement to jam in and recently jammed with a guitar player who might join us.

Drummer and I are set to make some noise tomorrow. Other than lugging the gear back and forth, I'm pretty stoked about it. \m/
Good news bro, I want some videos !!!!!!

Life throwing crazy curveballs update:

So, as mentioned upstream I decided to play bass and sing for this band, assuming that finding a guitar player would be the easy part. Within 48 hours of looking for band members, found a drummer who is working out really well. We click in a lot of ways, musically and otherwise, so no-brainer to jam with him.

We cast around looking for a guitar player, on different Facebook groups, word of mouth etc.

>crickets<

Finally, a KILLER musician shows up, ready to jam. Total pro, on a few albums, major part of the local scene, really cool guy, all the things you want in a bandmate. And, he loves the music we're doing. Clicks ALL the boxes, except, he's a bass player (and can play drums if necessary). :rofl

After discussing with the drummer for awhile, got on the phone with the bass player and dude is just too cool to pass up. So, sent him our rough first song to see what he can do with it.

And, now it looks like I might be playing guitar and singing. :: side-eye's the thousand dollars worth of bass gear recently accumulated and giant dent in bank account ::

But, as the drummer said last night "So, what I'm hearing from you is you'd rather play guitar on stage than bass in your bedroom"

Yes.

:rofl

In full on Murphy's Law fashion, still don't have a guitar player. We're still entertaining the bass player add, but I really want to play bass and sing, so that means guitar player wanted.

Had two cats reach out so far.

First one, wasn't a metal guy but loves what we're doing and had recently discovered Electric Wizard which opened his eyes to doom/metal/etc.. He sent a video of him playing some Pink Floyd-ish stuff (which was killer!) and he can clearly play. Chatted with him a bit, he couldn't tell me what brand his amp was or how many watts - gave the impression it was some sort of no name combo suitable for bedroom wankery. He had no idea what a 5150 was and didn't feel like it was worth the investment to buy a high gain amp - but he did offer to use my Badlander and 412... #Hardpass. Bummer, he was cool and could have brought a neat vibe.

Second one reached out late yesterday. I replied pretty quickly, but he couldn't talk cause he was "out drinking with some new friends"... it was 7:45 on a Thursday. Prior to 8 he replied again indicating he was too drunk to talk, but wants to chat today. Drummer and I are both not overly interested in any sort of dependency, so if last night is any indicator, he's likely a no too.

Just cracks me up how I figured guitar players would be a dime a dozen, but then connected with a drummer, usually the hardest role to fill, within 24 hours of looking (and we click so well), but here we are 2 weeks later with no guitar player in sight. :rofl

Latest Update:

We think we found a guitar player. Haven't actually jammed with him yet, but he seems like a perfect fit. Should hopefully know for sure in the next week or so.

We have 3 songs now with a 4th in the prep stages. Purposefully holding off on the 4th as we want the guitar player to have input.
The goal is 5 songs for an EP, which is also enough to do some 20 minute gigs to get our feet wet. We've already been offered a gig in August, but not sure we'll be ready in time...

So far this has been as much fun as I expected. :headbang

Latest Update:

We think we found a guitar player. Haven't actually jammed with him yet, but he seems like a perfect fit.
Can't wait! I'll try my best, although I've never played hardcore metal before? I mainly do country, indie folk, occasionally polka on my accordion. But I'm a quick learning as long as we go through the songs really slowly.

Can't wait! I'll try my best, although I've never played hardcore metal before? I mainly do country, indie folk, occasionally polka on my accordion. But I'm a quick learning as long as we go through the songs really slowly.
Wait! You said you played kazoo, jaw harp and recorder... nothing about accordion... #@&#!ng posers!!!

Well, it seems we found our guitar player yesterday. He came out, we jammed for about 2 hours. Played through our first song about 6 or 7 times, then shared some riffs back and forth, chatted about vision/direction and he said he's all in.

Our conversation:

8227187b230dc48b7d6bb489ff086ddb.jpg

What part of 'around DC' are you? I'm across the Bay Bridge in MD, and may be curious to come check you guys out, assuming it works out and all.

What part of 'around DC' are you? I'm across the Bay Bridge in MD, and may be curious to come check you guys out, assuming it works out and all.
I was a major part of the DC metal scene a long time ago, but left the area and now live in MN. Lived on Kent Island for a short period of time though. What town are you in?

I was a major part of the DC metal scene a long time ago, but left the area and now live in MN. Lived on Kent Island for a short period of time though. What town are you in?
Oh, I got the impression the scene you were referring to was DC, as in, currently.
Outside of Easton.

We hadn't heard from the new guitar player in a week so I reached out this morning to check on him and see if he was still in. He replied that his life is too jacked at the moment and he doesn't have time for a band...

Back to the drawing board we go. 🤣

Back