Walk thru my latest fever dream/delusion of grandeur with me, won't you? (Red Vinter thread)

I try and keep things as democratic as possible, but I'm kinda forced to be the de facto leader. Which I don't mind, but it is like herding cats most of the time. Especially when trying to make everyone make democratic decisions :LOL:

I know one thing for sure, you are a super talented dude, with a very productive Muse. I hope
you find a situation you can live with, and that makes you happy and fulfilled. :beer
Thanks brutha! Appreciate that. Pretty humbling to see so many crazy talented people on this forum telling me I'm the crazy talented one...

And, I feel everyone's pain about leading bands. All that drama is a big reason why I stopped being in bands so long ago. But, I'm either older and wiser and think I can handle it better now, or getting senile and forgetful and delusional... or a little from column A and a little from column B. :unsure: :rofl

I’m using GSS Baby Sumo for power amp and a bass cab with my Fractal stuff for my bass rig. Bass "FRFR" gets expensive and I already had the cab. On Talkbass one guy was swearing by the Yamaha DXR-15 for Bass

I’m using GSS Baby Sumo for power amp and a bass cab with my Fractal stuff for my bass rig. Bass "FRFR" gets expensive and I already had the cab. On Talkbass one guy was swearing by the Yamaha DXR-15 for Bass
So, even with the Baby Sumo you still need a powered cab?

Thanks brutha! Appreciate that. Pretty humbling to see so many crazy talented people on this forum telling me I'm the crazy talented one...

And, I feel everyone's pain about leading bands. All that drama is a big reason why I stopped being in bands so long ago. But, I'm either older and wiser and think I can handle it better now, or getting senile and forgetful and delusional... or a little from column A and a little from column B. :unsure: :rofl

A lot of it ---for me --- is just the work aspect. Owning a PA. Sourcing one. Lining up rehearsals. Booking the gigs.
Then you gain a little success and the work piles up even more. Creating and sourcing merch. Scheduling recording
sessions. Ugh.....

It's like
:brick

... and is often more than one person can be expected to manage successfully in the long run. :idk

Best I can tell, you do need an outlet! Considering your output level, that energy must go somewhere and if that somewhere is in the path to a new band (and of course the "Do Something" challenge), then so be it. My primary thought would be, concentrate on staying true to what it is that you want to do, and if others don't want to be on that ride, say goodbye!

As for the bass rig, lot's of options, but none of them cheap ;~)) Best of luck in your quest, I am sure you will find some satisfaction (unlike the Stones who seemed to have trouble finding the same)!

Oh and if it's original music; you're going to have to fight your way to get paid for your efforts. Ugh.
Yep, speaking for myself, original music would be the only thing I’d consider. I’ve never been in a cover band and really don’t think I’d enjoy it. Making music is where it’s at for me. My past bands did play a few impromptu improvised songs at times when we were playing parties at our warehouse, always spur of the moment, who gives a shit about perfection, have fun with it and ride it till you can’t any longer type stuff. Kinda like when you’re kickin that schznit doggy style and you whisper in her ear “this is how your sister likes it” and hang on…
thread GIF

A lot of it ---for me --- is just the work aspect. Owning a PA. Sourcing one. Lining up rehearsals. Booking the gigs.
Then you gain a little success and the work piles up even more. Creating and sourcing merch. Scheduling recording
sessions. Ugh.....

It's like
:brick

... and is often more than one person can be expected to manage successfully in the long run. :idk
That doesn't phase me, as I did that all back in the day when I was drunk most of the time, so now that I'm sober... whew! :rofl
Oh and if it's original music; you're going to have to fight your way to get paid for your efforts. Ugh.
Not sweating getting paid either... really just miss being on stage/jamming with others/the crowds/etc. I gave up making money at this after selling 30,000 CDs and not getting a dime from the record label...
Best I can tell, you do need an outlet! Considering your output level, that energy must go somewhere and if that somewhere is in the path to a new band (and of course the "Do Something" challenge), then so be it. My primary thought would be, concentrate on staying true to what it is that you want to do, and if others don't want to be on that ride, say goodbye!
Yes. This is way more important than getting paid, to me at least.
Yep, speaking for myself, original music would be the only thing I’d consider. I’ve never been in a cover band and really don’t think I’d enjoy it.
My very first band was a cover band and I left that group when I was 17 and haven't played a cover since. And, likely won't start now. :rofl

Picked up a nice little Roland Cube 30 practice amp in great shape today for $50. Tossed a tube screamer in front and it gets the job done for a practice amp, no problems.

Now, about to head out to get some big boy cabs for actual band practice...
I still have a roland bc-60/310. Bought it new a long time ago. Very good amps. Running it through an EVM12S loaded cab is :chef.

I still have a roland bc-60/310. Bought it new a long time ago. Very good amps. Running it through an EVM12S loaded cab is :chef.
Unfortunately this one only has a headphone out which likely isn't going to power any self-respecting bass speaker. But, it still does the trick for jamming by myself.

Boils down to what makes you happy.
Do I need a 46th guitar?
No.
Would it make me happy?
Probably.

Retail therapy works.

As far as the band thing again, will it make you happy? Me, the LAST thing I want to do is play anyones original music unless there’s a tour and a hit. No, I don’t want to be there to make that happen. But that’s me. Only you can answer this.

Boils down to what makes you happy.
Do I need a 46th guitar?
No.
Would it make me happy?
Probably.

Retail therapy works.

As far as the band thing again, will it make you happy? Me, the LAST thing I want to do is play anyones original music unless there’s a tour and a hit. No, I don’t want to be there to make that happen. But that’s me. Only you can answer this.
"Do I need a 46th guitar?" I thought the answer was always yes! :rofl

As for the other part, I've almost always seen musicians fall into two camps: people who want to play other's music (whether it's just covers, or being in a band where others write all the music) or they want to be the one writing the music.

I'm hoping to find a synergy of both, where I can have the foundational influence, but then the other members help make it far better than I can do on my own, sort of like what happened with Ghost Shadows. @LiveeviL2000 and @megametal7 made that band so much better than it would have been if I was the only one writing any of the music.

In other news, my bass rig is just about fully assembled (waiting on one thing that's supposed to arrive today) and my new bass showed up yesterday. It's OFF THE HOOK sexy. Woke up in the middle of the night thinking about it sexy. Now I just need to find a quality strap that compliments it and finish writing the couple of "first songs" I want to use to recruit other musicians.

"Do I need a 46th guitar?" I thought the answer was always yes! :rofl

As for the other part, I've almost always seen musicians fall into two camps: people who want to play other's music (whether it's just covers, or being in a band where others write all the music) or they want to be the one writing the music.

I'm hoping to find a synergy of both, where I can have the foundational influence, but then the other members help make it far better than I can do on my own, sort of like what happened with Ghost Shadows. @LiveeviL2000 and @megametal7 made that band so much better than it would have been if I was the only one writing any of the music.

In other news, my bass rig is just about fully assembled (waiting on one thing that's supposed to arrive today) and my new bass showed up yesterday. It's OFF THE HOOK sexy. Woke up in the middle of the night thinking about it sexy. Now I just need to find a quality strap that compliments it and finish writing the couple of "first songs" I want to use to recruit other musicians.
I'd bet a lot of us do both.

When I'm playing out, I want to make money. That probably won't be playing originals. When I have the writing itch, that's what my desk is for.

Some old friends from the neighborhood called me up a few months ago to join a band. I said I couldn't rehearse, but I'd be happy to swap ideas/songs via the internet and if a gig materialized, I'd make a rehearsal. "aaah, man, we're old school and can't work that way". Sorry, I can't take a day a week away from work/family/obligations to go have a glorified hang with instruments. Love those guys but had to say no.

Connected with a drummer yesterday who not only wants to play the same sort of music, but lives about 15 minutes away, has a basement to jam in and recently jammed with a guitar player who might join us.

Drummer and I are set to make some noise tomorrow. Other than lugging the gear back and forth, I'm pretty stoked about it. \m/

I'd bet a lot of us do both.

When I'm playing out, I want to make money. That probably won't be playing originals. When I have the writing itch, that's what my desk is for.

Some old friends from the neighborhood called me up a few months ago to join a band. I said I couldn't rehearse, but I'd be happy to swap ideas/songs via the internet and if a gig materialized, I'd make a rehearsal. "aaah, man, we're old school and can't work that way". Sorry, I can't take a day a week away from work/family/obligations to go have a glorified hang with instruments. Love those guys but had to say no.
Little derail addition.

I am going to be super hypocritical here, too. So note that up front :grin

The songs your band and my band play had all sorts of groups of people who gave up their free time to sit in a jam room and hash out song ideas. What's weird for me (and not sure what my overarching point is; if I am being honest):

When did we get to a point where we are automatically going "oh, your songs are going to suck. I guarantee it" and stop the idea of forming original bands? If it's not a financial question or monetary need we are pursuing in the cover direction; why does it matter? Killer riffs get written all the time if you let them; you just have to channel them into a song. Which is admittedly difficult. And where I fall flat as an original band guy. Not enough of a musician pool doing it aka "wait; your song does suck!"
:unsure::bag:rofl

Just a thought I had the other day. Maybe what positive attitude I have jumped the shark a while back? Just seems like any sort original action anymore is bad modern rock or singer songwriter crap and neither holds any interest for me whatsoever ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Little derail addition.

I am going to be super hypocritical here, too. So note that up front :grin

The songs your band and my band play had all sorts of groups of people who gave up their free time to sit in a jam room and hash out song ideas. What's weird for me (and not sure what my overarching point is; if I am being honest):

When did we get to a point where we are automatically going "oh, your songs are going to suck. I guarantee it" and stop the idea of forming original bands? If it's not a financial question or monetary need we are pursuing in the cover direction; why does it matter? Killer riffs get written all the time if you let them; you just have to channel them into a song. Which is admittedly difficult. And where I fall flat as an original band guy. Not enough of a musician pool doing it aka "wait; your song does suck!"
:unsure::bag:rofl

Just a thought I had the other day. Maybe what positive attitude I have jumped the shark a while back? Just seems like any sort original action anymore is bad modern rock or singer songwriter crap and neither holds any interest for me whatsoever ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I just don't do cover tunes. Even when I played live a lot I was never in a cover band. It definitely makes it harder to play certain venues and no doubt making money can be more difficult, but I'd rather be a poor musician playing originals than making money playing covers full-time. Just the way I feel about it.:idk

Back