Video Games

Bloodborne is different here because parry is relatively low risk compared to other Souls games.

You can definitely spam it on some enemies. I tend to use it only on ones that have so clear attacks that it's sensible to pull off. Knight type enemies especially.
I should probably go back and try a parry build. My problem was I knew I sucked at parrying, and I didn’t fully understand the system, so putting points into the corresponding stat always felt like opportunity cost vs. putting points into melee/ defense/ stamina.

I had the same mental block with the other souls games in varying degrees: they’d tell you a given weapon was better for parrying, but that was never quantified very well (if at all), and those weapons would be far less effective than alternatives that weren’t meant for parrying. All of which incentivized ignoring parrying altogether, and never getting any good at it.

I should probably go back and try a parry build. My problem was I knew I sucked at parrying, and I didn’t fully understand the system, so putting points into the corresponding stat always felt like opportunity cost vs. putting points into melee/ defense/ stamina.

I had the same mental block with the other souls games in varying degrees: they’d tell you a given weapon was better for parrying, but that was never quantified very well (if at all), and those weapons would be far less effective than alternatives that weren’t meant for parrying. All of which incentivized ignoring parrying altogether, and never getting any good at it.
There is no stat for parry. All you need is a small shield or fist weapon to have the largest parry window.

I've had a mild interest in Elden Ring (never played any Souls games) but when I saw everyone on SSO talking about it, I got the idea it was one of those games where you've basically got to die repeatedly until you figure out the exact movements/timing bosses move at. Is that the case? The graphics look great, but the second I run into stuff like that it's game over for me.

I'm gonna mix it up and say I've been going through Pikmin 4 and trying to 100% each level. I haven't fully played a Pikmin game since the OG but what a great game. Low stress, fun and addicting gameplay. Highly recommend!

Yeah came out in November I think? It’s actually not that much slimmer than the OG and pretty much looks the same so easy to miss the differences!
I think they made it so that the slim digital model can have a disk drive attached as an add on?

A game I loved on the PS5 is Day Gone. Bought on the PC to reply and the graphics ate even better. Amazing game.

I've had a mild interest in Elden Ring (never played any Souls games) but when I saw everyone on SSO talking about it, I got the idea it was one of those games where you've basically got to die repeatedly until you figure out the exact movements/timing bosses move at. Is that the case? The graphics look great, but the second I run into stuff like that it's game over for me.
The whole premise is that you are always a couple of hits away from dying. Then you lose all the souls you have accumulated, but can retrieve them if you go back to the place where you died and pick them up before dying again. Souls are a currency for leveling up, so they are high value and each level gained increases the cost of the next one.

But for overall damage, the level of your weapon often matters more and the upgrade materials for these are something you can't lose. So even if you keep dying, you still make some progress if you found some items, or learned how to avoid and punish a boss during some particular attack pattern.

You still have things like health refills, various items to boost your abilities, or NPC summons that you can use to gain an advantage - if you have the breathing room to use them during combat.

Every time you die, non-unique enemies also respawn but they will be in the exact same spots so you learn where they are and be prepared the next time. A lot of the levels are built to troll you with ambushes, traps and more so advancing carefully is often the best approach.

What got me hooked to this series is that it becomes a real heart rate raising epic battle when you are down to your last health bottle, enemy has little health left and when you finally beat them, the victory is really sweet because you had to work for it. The stakes being a bit higher than "eh, let's just try this section again" make it better.

The number one reason why you die in these games is that you get greedy. You try to go for one more hit on a boss, you try to go grab an item before looking for traps, you travel further before spending your souls etc. Aside from some grab attacks with crappy hit boxes, most of the game is fair.

They are absolutely not for everyone, but worth trying. I believe Demon's Souls is available on PS Plus so if you have a PS5, then give that a try as it plays very much like the others, and is also gorgeous.

Finished Starfield and enjoyed it, though not with the same deep love I have for Fallout 4 and Skyrim.

Back to playing Skyrim now, such an all-time classic. :love

There is no stat for parry. All you need is a small shield or fist weapon to have the largest parry window.
I was referring to Boodborne here. I’m pretty sure there was a corresponding stat in that game?

Spent more of the weekend than I’d care to admit on RDR2.

17% :bag

Highlight was for once in my life actually trying to help someone on the side of the path, on my way to see bounty hunter on the snow mountain. Of course the dude tried to attack me and my horse got killed in the melee. So I had to spend an hour climbing the mountain and back on foot to finish task.

I still haven’t figured out why everyone doesn’t just kill Dutch and go on their way, but the game wouldn’t be much fun I guess.

I was referring to Boodborne here. I’m pretty sure there was a corresponding stat in that game?
Nah, it just has a stat that increases weapon damage for blood based weapons (firearms and a few others). It has no effect on parrying, you could be using level 1 weapon and never put a point in the Bloodtinge stat and still parry the shit out of everything if you hit the timing window.

The giant near the Cleric Beast lantern is a good practice target with clearly telegraphed moves.

It's too bad I find cutscene-heavy stealth games insufferable, because A Plague Tale: Requiem is absolutely stunning.

But insufferable.

Spent more of the weekend than I’d care to admit on RDR2.

17% :bag

Highlight was for once in my life actually trying to help someone on the side of the path, on my way to see bounty hunter on the snow mountain. Of course the dude tried to attack me and my horse got killed in the melee. So I had to spend an hour climbing the mountain and back on foot to finish task.

I still haven’t figured out why everyone doesn’t just kill Dutch and go on their way, but the game wouldn’t be much fun I guess.

I think one of the more interesting things between that game and GTA is that you can mow down hundreds of NPC’s in GTA and not think anything of it, but you can play RDR2, find some random NPC riding on a trail, hogtie them up and on your way to drop them on some railroad tracks or off a ledge, I’d always start feeling guilty. :rofl

I started Innocence and couldn't imagine playing it all the way through.
I just don't get the appeal of the genre at all. "Wait around experiencing a vague sense of anxiety until the arbitrary moment we allow you continue playing the game you yourself paid for. By moving to a different location and experiencing a vague sense of anxiety until the arbitrary moment... "

Alternately, insta-death and try again. Woot?

Back