Video Games

I'd rank Souls style games like this:
  1. Bloodborne. Cosmic horror in a Gothic Victorian setting with the greatest boss designs of all time? Hell yeah!
  2. Nioh 2. Extremely deep combat mechanics paired with Diablo style loot system, fighting Japanese demons and samurais. The only non-From Software game on the list, and for good reason. No need to play Nioh 1 - it's much worse and totally unrelated.
  3. Dark Souls 3. Linear, but with great bosses and levels. This is almost like a comfort game for me at this point because it doesn't take a ton of time for an experienced player to play through.
  4. Dark Souls 1. The OG, janky and ugly but still great gameplay and levels.
  5. Sekiro. Changes things up in a good way and is more like a rhythm game. One of the best final bosses.
  6. Elden Ring. Open world feels redundant, but it has a ton of content to explore and combat as good as DS3.
  7. Demon's Souls Remake. This remake by Bluepoint Games looks better than most of the others and is the template for all the other Souls games. Highly recommended for PS5 owners.
  8. Dark Souls 2. It's not bad, but it has too many "big humanoid with big weapon" bosses and some stupid game mechanics.
Can't resist playing along. :D If I'm being honest, my 1, 2, and 3 are all basically tied in first place, each for different reasons. And believe it or not, I actually preferred Nioh over Nioh 2 overall, though Nioh 2 obviously gets a nod for improved graphics, etc. And I'm conflating the OG Demon's Souls with the remake - the remake's graphics (and load times!) are wonderful, but you can't separate the OG from the time in which it was released, and just how fresh and innovative it felt then.
  1. Demon's Souls. THE OG OG. Even the original, despite its antiquated graphics and non-continuous (i.e. loading screens) world, has an elegance about it unmatched by anything since. The way the level designs of each "world" complemented the structure of the game as a whole turned the whole thing into clever puzzle box for the player to unravel. Combat, pacing, and atmosphere are just perfect.
  2. Dark Souls 1. In many ways, objectively superior to Demon's Souls. (Though Demon's Souls has that strange, oppressive atmosphere and a coherency that just edges it for me.) Dark Souls is, for the most part, one big continuous level, and its design - with various shortcuts to exploit - is sublime.
  3. Nioh 1 and 2. As @laxu said: extremely deep combat mechanics, an insane amount of variety between various weapons classes and complementary skill trees. And I actually think the feel and fluidity outclass even FromSoft's best work. The presentation is more "gamey", and sometimes a bit hoaky. The level and mission design is often downright lazy. But the gameplay is SO good, I could play either of them forever. (Or until the difficulty curve eventually beats me up, as with Nioh 2 DLC.) I strongly disagree with regard to Nioh 1, however. I thought it was a silly Souls wannabe at first, but as it progressed, it really impressed me. Even the graphics seemed to improve late in the game. Weird how much it fails to "put its best foot foward". Nioh 2 was a bit prettier, but Team Ninja took an already very complex game and threw a few more systems on top of it, and sometimes it feels like overkill - one too many things to have to decipher and worry over.
  4. Elden Ring. This is a beautiful, state of the art game, and overall I really loved it. But I agree the open world thing doesn't really complement the Soulsborne formula very well. Signposting was often weak, and it was too easy to lose track of the various plot threads (already opaque AF as per FromSoft's usual). I was always happiest in this game when I was in "legacy dungeons", which are basically structured like mini Demon's/Dark Souls games.
  5. Dark Souls 3. This game doesn't quite achieve a sense of identity or cohesion the way DS1 or Demon's Souls did, but it is still a really excellent game by any measure. The extended combat techniques (I forget their name) add a little bit of depth, and the graphics engine is a nice improvement over DS1 and DS2.
  6. Dark Souls 2. Always felt like a "dog's breakfast". Just a big old pile of random content with no cohesion or identity whatsoever. Still fun to hack your way through. I mean, it's Dark Souls. Bad Dark Souls is still better than a good day at the office. :D
  7. Bloodborne. I've never gotten the hype this game gets from the community. Gothic horror? Meaning I run around in an overcoat instead of armor? Weird. But more importantly, this game strips away almost all of the other systems from the preceding games - magic, archery, armor, shields, etc. etc. etc. - leaving only melee and a weird analog for a parry mechanic. Why was I supposed to happy about this again? There are just far fewer options, so playing feels a lot less creative to me. I eventually finished it, and actually enjoyed the DLC, but meh.
  8. Sekiro. OMG I HATE THIS GAME SO MUCH AND WILL NEVER UNDERSTAND THE "BEST FROMSOFT GAME EVAR" HYPE. It's the only one in the list I haven't played to completion, but I played enough. This is like, commit the same crime as with Bloodborne, but then overshoot that mark tenfold. EVERYTHING is gone except for what amounts to a parry mechanic. If you don't love that, well, LEARN TO LOVE IT IT'S ALL WE'VE GOT. Oh and by the way, we've changed all the controls around for no real reason except to seem clever. And the graphics are weirdly shit even though it's 2019. That'll be $60.
There are also a couple of also-rans from other devs: Mortal Shell, Wo Long, Lies of P, etc. None are great. I sort of enjoyed Mortal Shell (for free on GamePass), but I wouldn't recommend anyone rush out to buy it. Wo Long and Lies of P both smack of this new trend where every Souls-like has to revolve solely around parrying. I.e. "Press the button at exactly the right time or you die! That's the whole game! Such fun!" Hooray. Now can I please have my genre back? :facepalm

Last edited:
I personally thought Lies of P was incredible; easily my fave non-FS "soulslike" game

As far as the FS games I'd probably rank them like this:

1. Elden Ring

2. Sekiro

3 Bloodborne

4 DS3

5 Demon's Souls

6 DS2

7 DS1

I personally thought Lies of P was incredible; easily my fave non-FS "soulslike" game

As far as the FS games I'd probably rank them like this:

1. Elden Ring

2. Sekiro

3 Bloodborne

4 DS3

5 Demon's Souls

6 DS2

7 DS1
LOL your list is almost mine upside-down. :D I think Sekiro rating so high on your list, and your getting on so well with Lies of P, are probably closely related. I have never done the parry thing in any of these games, so to have it suddenly be a prerequisite to getting past the first boss... is aaargh.

You should check out Wo Long if you haven't already - you might like that one, too.

Hollow Knight is such a terrific game,

Anyway, if you're into this sort of game (indie, side-scrolling, RPG elements, etc.) give Rogue Legacy 2 a go. It's got a bit of DNA in common with Hollow Knight, Dead Cells, Salt & Sanctuary,

Every game you mentioned here is a certified fucking masterpiece for me

Anyone else stoked as fuck for Dragon's Dogma 2? :love
I didn't actually like the first one, but that had a lot to do with its having been a little bit too ambitious for the technology of the time. It all just felt a little sluggish and janky to me. A sequel might just be a winner, though.

DD is definitely somewhere in my top 5 of all time. It's the only game I've bought three separate times (on release for 360, then for Switch, and then for PC) - 4 times if you count the Dark Arisen upgrade disc for 360 :rofl

DD is definitely somewhere in my top 5 of all time. It's the only game I've bought three separate times (on release for 360, then for Switch, and then for PC) - 4 times if you count the Dark Arisen upgrade disc for 360 :rofl
I can't honestly say I remember it all that well (even though I think I finished it?) I'll put it on my "worth revisiting" list for sure.

Can't resist playing along. :D If I'm being honest, my 1, 2, and 3 are all basically tied in first place, each for different reasons. And believe it or not, I actually preferred Nioh over Nioh2 overall, though Nioh 2 obviously gets a nod for improved graphics, etc. And I'm conflating the OG Demon's Souls with the remake - the remake's graphics (and load times!) are wonderful, but you can't separate the OG from the time in which it was released, and just how fresh and innovative it felt then.
  1. Demon's Souls. THE OG OG. Even the original, despite its antiquated graphics and non-continuous (i.e. loading screens) world, has an elegance about it unmatched by anything since. The way the level designs of each "world" complemented the structure of the game as a whole turned the whole thing into clever puzzle box for the player to unravel. Combat, pacing, and atmosphere are just perfect.
I've never played the original version so the Remake is the definitive one for me. I like it but I never wanted to play it over and over with different builds like most Souls games. I guess because I've played so much of the games that technically came after Demon's Souls, the remake feels like it's missing some things that you are used to in the later games.

1. Nioh 1 and 2. As @laxu said: extremely deep combat mechanics, an insane amount of variety between various weapons classes and complementary skill trees. And I actually think the feel and fluidity outclass even FromSoft's best work. The presentation is more "gamey", and sometimes a bit hoaky. The level and mission design is often downright lazy. But the gameplay is SO good, I could play either of them forever. (Or until the difficulty curve eventually beats me up, as with Nioh 2 DLC.) I strongly disagree with regard to Nioh 1, however. I thought it was a silly Souls wannabe at first, but as it progressed, it really impressed me. Even the graphics seemed to improve late in the game. Weird how much it fails to "put its best foot foward". Nioh 2 was a bit prettier, but Team Ninja took an already very complex game and threw a few more systems on top of it, and sometimes it feels like overkill - one too many things to have to decipher and worry over.
To me Nioh 1 is disappointing because it has so low enemy variety and the level design is frankly crap for the most part. Nioh 2 is a massive improvement in every single area - even though some of its levels are still crap. It also absolutely trounces From's new game+ modes because it keeps bringing in new mechanics over several NG+ tiers. I do hate the Diablo style loot system where 99% of what you pick up is crap.

I like that it does its own thing rather than trying to be a clone.

1. Bloodborne. I've never gotten the hype this game gets from the community. Gothic horror? Meaning I run around in an overcoat instead of armor? Weird. But more importantly, this game strips away almost all of the other systems from the preceding games - magic, archery, armor, shields, etc. etc. etc. - leaving only melee and a weird analog for a parry mechanic. Why was I supposed to happy about this again? There are just far fewer options, so playing feels a lot less creative to me. I eventually finished it, and actually enjoyed the DLC, but meh.
To me it's the overall package. The level design is mostly fantastic, the visual style, the enemy and boss designs, and almost all the trick weapons are unique to play. It went to a very different direction from Souls games that preceded it by requiring you to be aggressive - I mean it throws in two shields almost as a joke, nobody uses them. The gun parry is super satisfying when you learn to use it.

1. Sekiro. OMG I HATE THIS GAME SO MUCH AND WILL NEVER UNDERSTAND THE "BEST FROMSOFT GAME EVAR" HYPE. It's the only one in the list I haven't played to completion, but I played enough. This is like, commit the same crime as with Bloodborne, but then overshoot that mark tenfold. EVERYTHING is gone except for what amounts to a parry mechanic. If you don't love that, well, LEARN TO LOVE IT IT'S ALL WE'VE GOT. Oh and by the way, we've changed all the controls around for no real reason except to seem clever. And the graphics are weirdly shit even though it's 2019. That'll be $60.
I guess you are not a parry fan then? I find parrying in Souls games to be incredibly satisfying so having a whole game that turns it into almost a rhythm game is fun to me. I do agree that it could have more variety as it's maybe a bit too much of a good thing, but I still enjoyed it as something different. You are missing out by not having faced the final boss, it's tough as nails and requires you to have mastered every move in your arsenal - it's a great example of a super tough but at the same time fair boss that doesn't have things like grab attacks with huge hitboxes or instakill moves.

The talk of RDR made me start the download of 2. Which on this Xbox One may take an eternity.

I'll be brushing a horses ass by nightfall, maybe. :ROFLMAO:

The talk of RDR made me start the download of 2. Which on this Xbox One may take an eternity.

I'll be brushing a horses ass by nightfall, maybe. :ROFLMAO:
Heat up a can of beans and put on "Lofi coyote sounds to relax/study to"

Tobias Funke Reaction GIF

I've never played the original version so the Remake is the definitive one for me. I like it but I never wanted to play it over and over with different builds like most Souls games. I guess because I've played so much of the games that technically came after Demon's Souls, the remake feels like it's missing some things that you are used to in the later games.

To me Nioh 1 is disappointing because it has so low enemy variety and the level design is frankly crap for the most part. Nioh 2 is a massive improvement in every single area - even though some of its levels are still crap. It also absolutely trounces From's new game+ modes because it keeps bringing in new mechanics over several NG+ tiers. I do hate the Diablo style loot system where 99% of what you pick up is crap.

I like that it does its own thing rather than trying to be a clone.

To me it's the overall package. The level design is mostly fantastic, the visual style, the enemy and boss designs, and almost all the trick weapons are unique to play. It went to a very different direction from Souls games that preceded it by requiring you to be aggressive - I mean it throws in two shields almost as a joke, nobody uses them. The gun parry is super satisfying when you learn to use it.

I guess you are not a parry fan then? I find parrying in Souls games to be incredibly satisfying so having a whole game that turns it into almost a rhythm game is fun to me. I do agree that it could have more variety as it's maybe a bit too much of a good thing, but I still enjoyed it as something different. You are missing out by not having faced the final boss, it's tough as nails and requires you to have mastered every move in your arsenal - it's a great example of a super tough but at the same time fair boss that doesn't have things like grab attacks with huge hitboxes or instakill moves.
Yeah, I am 100% NOT a parry guy. I feel like it reduces the game mechanics to a single, cheap quicktime event you just repeat ad nauseum. (Or in my case, fail to repeat ad nauseum LOL.) But I respect the basis of your opinions here. Different strokes.

I was gifted the PS5 Slim over the holidays. I’m about halfway through Spider-Man 2 which has been a pretty fun introduction to the new hardware. Open world in a semi accurate New York City is pretty cool.
I didn’t realize the slim was out already. Cool!

Finished The Quarry. Majorly cocked up a couple pivotal moments at the end. Bad night to be a camp counselor. Luckily they offer a limited rewind function after it’s over, and I was able to salvage some lives redoing parts of the end, but a couple decisions made several chapters earlier in the story meant some outcomes were going to be unavoidable, and I wasn’t trying to redo the last third of the game to see how much I could alter the end path. Pretty cool game. It’s not the most original horror story, and the pacing drags a little in spots, but it’s a cool change of pace game. Kind of a choose your own adventure. I would say though that with 2/3rds of the game being a decision tree, it doesn't entirely set you up to be ready for the 2/3 real time moments that will be pivotal late in the game. You're sorta getting drug along with low stakes outcomes to physical inputs, then hit over the head with a couple big consequence inputs late out of nowhere . Other than that pretty nice game.

Yeah, I am 100% NOT a parry guy. I feel like it reduces the game mechanics to a single, cheap quicktime event you just repeat ad nauseum. (Or in my case, fail to repeat ad nauseum LOL.) But I respect the basis of your opinions here. Different strokes.
Bloodborne is different here because parry is relatively low risk compared to other Souls games.

You can definitely spam it on some enemies. I tend to use it only on ones that have so clear attacks that it's sensible to pull off. Knight type enemies especially.

Back