VH tone attempts with NAM and York Audio IRs

bikescene

Groupie

I was making NAM captures of my Frankenstein Plexi 50W amp and went VH-tone chasing while working on them.

I was rewatching a Pete Thorn video in which he loaded up a cab with a mix of JBL D120 and Blackback speakers for VH I tones. I tried to do the same with IRs and made substitutions with York Audio IRs of the D120 Twin cab and Greenback 4x12 cab libraries.

I thought I got in the ballpark, but am curious to see what you think. I figured that you all probably own these IR libraries and can try mixing them yourselves.

NAM captures: https://tonehunt.org/OutmodedElectr...avfx3gyuj9ryD3T3MfRabB1pS7V_PHFA0eCw16lP725sA

Last edited:
I've done a bit of tone chasing on Ed's tone as well. His tone early on was deceptively clean, with the studio signal chain adding to the perceived gain we all hear on the records.

The closest I've gotten so far is using the Nembrini MRH-159 "Brown Sound" Plexi amp sim and blending Celestion greenbacks with the JBL-D120, then into a Neve 1073 preamp (this mic pre is the hidden source of gain on the early album tones :cool:)

Adding a third mic in the form of a "room mic" is some missing magic as well for Ed's early tone.

The Nembrini amp sim has all the mods done to Ed's 12301 modeled into it. Cap across V2, 50KΩ mid pot, variac down to 90VAC

D.O.A. off VHII
https://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=14734969

@PLX Nice sound! I’ve been meaning to check out more of the Nembrini plugins. I’m more of a casual listener to the VH tone and don’t have the chops to imitate, but the high end in VH I has been on my mind for the past few weeks.

I was only using Greenback IRs and couldn’t get enough of the high end until I mixed in the D120 IR.

@PLX Nice sound! I’ve been meaning to check out more of the Nembrini plugins. I’m more of a casual listener to the VH tone and don’t have the chops to imitate, but the high end in VH I has been on my mind for the past few weeks.

I was only using Greenback IRs and couldn’t get enough of the high end until I mixed in the D120 IR.
There's so much going on there with Ed's early signal chain.. First album you have to use an Echoplex preamp pedal or you'll never get close.

Second album, you gotta use the SVDS preamp into the EP-3 preamp to get close.

Once in the DAW, then it's the Neve 1073 > API console > Pultec EQs > 1176 compressor > Eventide H910 > Sunset Sound reverb.

There's so much going on there with Ed's early signal chain.. First album you have to use an Echoplex preamp pedal or you'll never get close.

Second album, you gotta use the SVDS preamp into the EP-3 preamp to get close.

Once in the DAW, then it's the Neve 1073 > API console > Pultec EQs > 1176 compressor > Eventide H910 > Sunset Sound reverb.
How are you using the Pultec? Adding high end?

I’m kind of looking at all these preamp pedals as future purchases now.

How are you using the Pultec? Adding high end?

I’m kind of looking at all these preamp pedals as future purchases now.
Here's my early VH Pultec settings..

aSvQGI5.jpg

OkGezUL.jpg

As a victim of the vh tone chase I found this to be insightful. I started adding a direct Di track with no cab in parallel after watching this.

Reactions: zib
Back