NAD: Since Everyone Else is Getting One

Alex Kenivel

Rock Star
TGF Recording Artist
You fucks and all of your NAD's lately, time to get me some!

Read em and weep, ladies!

20231221_195242.jpg

5W of pure, unadulterated libido. Remember, it's not the size of the boat, but the motion of the ocean. Now excuse me while I paddle this canoe across the Atlantic.

Gonna wrap this and put it under the tree so I can put on a show for the kids and look all excited because Santa brought me a new toy, but I did take it out and sampled its tiny little essence first.

Read on if you want to hear about my first impressions with the Spark Go and a brief list of finger-wavers and head-nodders comparing it to the Nu-X Mighty Plug (first gen/MP2). If you don't want to read all of that:

8a69vf.jpg

I've had the MP for a couple of years -- it's been traveling around with my Hofner Shorty. Hawaii, Tahoe, road trips, this November's trip to Pennsylvania/Ohio, headphone time at home -- I've had time to put it through its paces.

The Mighty Plug (MP2) finger-wavers:
  • Paddle-dongle that spins around in the guitar jack - begging to be broken. There's no comfortable way to play the Shorty unless it's classical position and classical position with a dongle in your dongle is too much competition.
  • It needs an auxiliary speaker - I don't always like headphones and little BT speakers are always a gamble with sound quality and latency. I'm one of those annoying bastards that likes to walk around with a guitar and play places. KMA.
  • Fiddly - dongle connected to wrapped up Aux cable connected to BT speaker connected to guitar and phone connected to device. Too much to juggle.
  • Almost always needs the phone app out for volume adjustments.
  • No Tuner
  • Phone app is garbage so third-party app is the best you've got.
  • Can't get it to interface with any of my mobile devices.
  • Can't reorder signal chain.
  • Could be the 3P app but saving and recalling presets/settings isn't always seamless.
  • Could be the 3P app but navigating away from the app kills BT connection.
  • Could be the 3P app but some effects just don't work.
Head-nods toward the Mighty Plug:
  • 6 Presets - with the ability to lock and skip over presets when BT is connected
  • Switchable Cab Block
  • Preloaded Acoustic IRs
  • Third-party app unlocks the device's potential big time - incl. IR loading, ability to program preset changes within imported songs, MIDI over BT.
  • Fucking IR loading!
  • Tiny AF

Spark GO First impression (y)'s:
  • Amp tones are better than MP - more sonic variety than MP
  • No selectable cab blocks - less stumbling over options
  • Post-Amp EQ - this was SORELY lacking on the MP2 - the IR loading helped somewhat but having a post-amp EQ means not having to sideload cracked firmware everytime I wanted to change a goddamn EQ curve.
  • App - Great layout, easy to navigate. Doesn't seem to be cobbled-together last-minute. The learning and drum/jam tracks are really cool.
  • Speaker is LOUD - at least louder than the iHome and JBL GO2 I've used with the MP
  • Solid build - I'm not afraid of smacking it against something like I am the flimsy little paddle/dongle.
  • Onboard Volume Control - no app needed.
  • Onboard Tuner - no aux tuner or tuner app needed
  • Hang Strap - EZPZ walky jams
Spark GO First impression (n)'s:
  • Paywalled Content - You've already taken my money, you want more?
  • Latent App Tuner - The onboard tuner is much more responsive.
  • No selectable cab blocks - Greenbacks on everything plz? k thx
  • No IR loading - means no tone matching, York Audio, or Alex Cabs.
  • Compressors kinda suck - is this thing on?
  • Can't reorder signal chain.
9a30fb05-2c2d-4b85-ad20-a79591eae9b7_text.gif

Man, YT is seriously missing a right influencer in Alex. 🤣

Have you tried the Katana Mini? I'm sure features-wise the Spark kills it, but for just plain old sound quality, which is better?

Have you tried the Katana Mini? I'm sure features-wise the Spark kills it, but for just plain old sound quality, which is better?
I had a Katana Mini and it sounds super small, to me.

I've contemplated doing something called Drunken Demos where I get smashed and try to figure out a new piece of gear. If I can't figure it out half a bottle later then the product has failed! :poop: 🥄

I haven't tried a Katana mini but I have a Roland Mobile Cube and the Spark tones slay it in every way. I want to try the Spark into the RMC for that bigger desktop cab feel :farley

I've contemplated doing something called Drunken Demos where I get smashed and try to figure out a new piece of gear. If I can't figure it out half a bottle later then the product has failed! :poop: 🥄

That's the PERFECT angle to set you apart from the rest!!!

You can also throw the ________ against the wall/smash it into little pieces/whatever when it doesn't pass the test!

SUBSCRIBED

Back