York Audio

@York Audio releasing a specialized greenback IR set is a must buy. You guys have always made high quality stuff!

One question though - I noticed a wide discrepancy between different IR loaders. Do you have an IR loader you prefer that accentuates the sound of your IRs? I know the Two Notes and Suhr have very different impedance curves that cannot be edited. The Fractal units let you be very specific with them and are very flexible.

Got the Friedman, Marshall Blackjack, and Marshall T75 sets. It takes some experimentation, which Two Notes makes somewhat cumbersome, but I have a V30/T75 patch and M25/H30 patch I like. I'll likely get the Zila and YA sets at some point, as I like 212s a little more than 412s. 412s have this somewhat scooped thing I sometimes don't like. 212s on the other hand tend to be mod forward, which I tend to like.

Bought the KW pack and with initial testing I find the cab a bit on the dark side at least with Strymon Iridium's Marshall model.

The stereo mixes sound good with headphones but I don't find them particularly useful otherwise and feel close mics + Iridium room reverb do an equally good job, but more adjustable.

I would be interested in stereo mixes of close mics alone though. Not sure how much of a difference that makes tho.

Also, I found that I needed to increase the volume of the IRs, even the mono mixes, by 3 dB or more. I haven't had these issues with past York Audio IRs.

Also for the Iridium, @York Audio could you add single file stereo mixes so you don't have to drag separate L/R files?
Every cabinet sounds different. Some are brighter and thinner in the low end and some are thicker sounding with more low end punch. IRs are normalized at the same peak volume, so IRs that have less low end and sound thinner will be perceived as louder than a fuller sounding IR.

It’s important to always tweak your amp to the IR, so if something sounds dark with the guitar you’re using, simply turn up the Treble or lower the Bass until you get the response that sounds good to you.

I probably won’t do stereo close mic Mixes simply because they tend to cause more problems than benefits. When hearing two close mics hard panned in stereo, your ears will always gravitate toward the brighter side and make things feel a little uneven. A single microphone in a specific placement can’t be made stereo without post-processing manipulation in order to give it a false stereo effect. I don’t use any post-processing and keep everything natural, so the IRs you hear authentically recreate the sound of that cabinet, mic, placement, and analog outboard gear in my studio.

I made the Stereo Mixes separate L/R files to make them usable for any stereo platform. The Iridium is the only product I know of that can load a stereo interleaved file, so it didn’t make sense to add a separate folder just for that piece of gear.

Part of me wants to consolidate to just an Axe FX 2 or 3, but tons of menus and parameters seems like a pain. Off topic but whatever.
Nah, just because Fractal CAN go deep doesn’t mean you have to go deep. Most of my presets just use an Amp and Cab block, and I only use the basic tone controls on the amp. Same for any effects… just use the basic controls and you’ll get great results quickly. You can always go deeper if you want to, but it isn’t necessary.

@York Audio releasing a specialized greenback IR set is a must buy. You guys have always made high quality stuff!

One question though - I noticed a wide discrepancy between different IR loaders. Do you have an IR loader you prefer that accentuates the sound of your IRs? I know the Two Notes and Suhr have very different impedance curves that cannot be edited. The Fractal units let you be very specific with them and are very flexible.
Are you talking about Load Boxes or IR loading plugins? For Load Boxes, my two favorites are the Fractal LB-2 and the St.Rock React:IR. For IR loading plugins, I mainly use STL Libra and RedWirez MixIR3.

Nah, just because Fractal CAN go deep doesn’t mean you have to go deep. Most of my presets just use an Amp and Cab block, and I only use the basic tone controls on the amp. Same for any effects… just use the basic controls and you’ll get great results quickly. You can always go deeper if you want to, but it isn’t necessary
Fair. I mainly just find the Two Notes CAB M+ a bit cumbersome to use with 3rd party IRs. May have to try a Boss IR-200 for 3rd party IRs.

Are you talking about Load Boxes or IR loading plugins? For Load Boxes, my two favorites are the Fractal LB-2 and the St.Rock React:IR. For IR loading plugins, I mainly use STL Libra and RedWirez MixIR3.
Thanks for taking the time to reply, appreciated! I’m mainly referring to load boxes. I’ve tried out several over the past few years and have found that I personally prefer the Two Notes load boxes over the Suhr ones, but I know there are others with inverse opinions. The Suhr has an impedance curve modeled strongly after a vintage greenback from what I’ve read, and I’ve found it really colors IRs from third party creators in ways the TN ones do not.

Thanks for taking the time to reply, appreciated! I’m mainly referring to load boxes. I’ve tried out several over the past few years and have found that I personally prefer the Two Notes load boxes over the Suhr ones, but I know there are others with inverse opinions. The Suhr has an impedance curve modeled strongly after a vintage greenback from what I’ve read, and I’ve found it really colors IRs from third party creators in ways the TN ones do not.
Yeah, every load box has a different internal impedance curve that affects the sound of an IR. The Two Notes adds a low-mids and cuts off natural top end. It’s a fairly “safe” curve, but the Fractal LB-2 and St.Rock sound and feel the most natural to me.

Yeah, every load box has a different internal impedance curve that affects the sound of an IR. The Two Notes adds a low-mids and cuts off natural top end. It’s a fairly “safe” curve, but the Fractal LB-2 and St.Rock sound and feel the most natural to me.
Perfect, thank you!

Revisited the the KW 4x12 cab mixes and the stereo mixes and I have to recant my statement about them. I think they sound pretty damn good. I don't know what has changed since I last used but I'm really liking how the stereo mix 01 sounds through my Strymon Iridium -> my Genelecs.

Now it has made me wish there were stereo mixes of the other YA IR's... ;)

Revisited the the KW 4x12 cab mixes and the stereo mixes and I have to recant my statement about them. I think they sound pretty damn good. I don't know what has changed since I last used but I'm really liking how the stereo mix 01 sounds through my Strymon Iridium -> my Genelecs.

Now it has made me wish there were stereo mixes of the other YA IR's... ;)
Same here. At first I thought it is quite dark sounding. But I really like its smoother, yet raw character now. Mix 1 and 7 are my favorites. They sound almost like different cabs but with the same flavor. Need to try the stereo mixes, haven’t spent too much time with them.

I have some York IR's from a couple of years ago and they are good. Finding the right one with dozens of options in the packs is so time consuming and frustrating because I never feel like I have arrived at a good one. I know to sell these studios want to include a bunch of options, but if I went into a studio they would probably have a few select cabs with V30's or Greenbacks then the mic ing options introduce a bunch of variables

Ideally buying an IR pack would be say 3 or 4 top ones with each mic.
Side note in the fractal world the new 'Dynacab' technology is supposed to eclipse the need for IR's. Initial impressions I was underwhelmed. They sounded clearer but a bit thin and sometimes fuzzy.

Finding the right one with dozens of options in the packs is so time consuming and frustrating because I never feel like I have arrived at a good one.

I think York is awesome because you can go straight to the mixes and ignore the avalanche of single snapshots entirely. If you end up liking/trusting his ear then it because extremely easy for almost every pack. Mix01 and profit, until you have a rainy day and want to demo the other mixes. (Which generally is only about 10-20 mixes to sift through)

I think York is awesome because you can go straight to the mixes and ignore the avalanche of single snapshots entirely. If you end up liking/trusting his ear then it because extremely easy for almost every pack. Mix01 and profit, until you have a rainy day and want to demo the other mixes. (Which generally is only about 10-20 mixes to sift through)
This is what I love about York. Mixes 1-5 are gold. I don’t know if he’s “better” than everyone else, or I just happen to agree with him the most, but it sounds fantastic. Honorable mention to ML Sound as well for this.

I've got a number of York Audio iRs and they are most excellent!

giphy.gif

Paging @JiveTurkey.

Did you see that new Recto DynaCab? It's not one of the anointed Boss IRs, but it sounds like it might be right up your street?

Paging @JiveTurkey.

Did you see that new Recto DynaCab? It's not one of the anointed Boss IRs, but it sounds like it might be right up your street?
From my understanding you need to buy it, have cab lab 4, set up your mics, save the file, export to your fractal device.

I do wish it was a little more seamless. Cab lab doesn't work as seamlessly as I'd hoped

From my understanding you need to buy it, have cab lab 4, set up your mics, save the file, export to your fractal device.

I do wish it was a little more seamless. Cab lab doesn't work as seamlessly as I'd hoped

It's true there's a little bit of messing about with Cab Lab. You can audition live with the Axe connected though (albeit with some added latency).

Back