York Audio

I need the EVM pack from this company stat.
That’s on my to-do list. I actually have a GREAT sounding Mesa 1x12 Thiele with an EVM from the 90’s that I want to capture.

Would be a great time to make an IR pack of the Fender Super Reverb. Or how about a Super Six?!

Arrested Development Flirt GIF
I’m still looking for a good Super Reverb.

Well s**t... I am intrigued... I really don't need any more IRs or cab sims and have bought almost everything out there, but I always go back to York IRs. Do you recommend a software loader btw? I been using STL Libra for awhile now but am open to trying something new.
I normally use Libra or MixIR3 for software loaders. It just depends on what I’m working on since they have different features and workflows.

This times a thousand. Plus, we have to talk Justin in to picking up an Earthworks SR25 and maybe a Mesanovic Model 2.
Is there something specific you’re wanting from the Earthworks, or is it just a mic you think would be cool to add to the mic list?

That’s on my to-do list. I actually have a GREAT sounding Mesa 1x12 Thiele with an EVM from the 90’s that I want to capture.

Can’t wait man. Signed up for the email list and everything!

Your Mesa cabs are the best IRs I’ve ever used and I have over 20,000 from other companies.

Haven’t used anything but your stuff since the day I tried it. Hearing this is on your to do list makes me extremely happy!

Last edited:
I caved and bought as well, big fan of Jim Adkins and I wanted to hear Justin's take on "amp in the room".

So I have my Axe FX 3 running to two separate outputs, one is a stereo mix to my studio monitors, and one is a mono mix without a cab into my Boss Katana with Celestion V-Type (basically running as a powered speaker cabinet).

The stereo mixes actually do have a bit of Amp where I'm at vibe to them, as in the tone isn't wildly off from the speaker. The first couple stereo mixes uses a single mic (I think a condenser?) with some stereo room mics, and it seems to smooth out the top and bottom compared to the usual close mic mixes.

Same with headphones, it adds a nice space and width to the sound, and is pretty satisfying to play. Although with headphones I did like to blend in some more direct sound so it wasn't quite so diffuse.

Tonally it sounds like a good Greenback cab...there's some good ones and bad ones and this is a good one. It reminds me of the Ownhammer GNR cab as there's the bit of midrange push and it's versatile, but the York mixes are a lot less bassy and top heavy, so they don't need aggressive cuts to sit in the mix.

Tonally it sounds like a good Greenback cab...there's some good ones and bad ones and this is a good one. It reminds me of the Ownhammer GNR cab as there's the bit of midrange push and it's versatile, but the York mixes are a lot less bassy and top heavy, so they don't need aggressive cuts to sit in the mix.
If you don’t mind, how does it compare with respect to the M25 and to the 3.50 stock greenback?

Your Mesa cabs are the best IRs I’ve ever used and I have over 20,000 from other companies.

Haven’t used anything but your stuff since the day I tried it. Hearing this is on your to do list makes me extremely happy!
Thanks for your support and for the kind words. Really happy that you’re liking the Mesa cabs!

I caved and bought as well, big fan of Jim Adkins and I wanted to hear Justin's take on "amp in the room".

So I have my Axe FX 3 running to two separate outputs, one is a stereo mix to my studio monitors, and one is a mono mix without a cab into my Boss Katana with Celestion V-Type (basically running as a powered speaker cabinet).

The stereo mixes actually do have a bit of Amp where I'm at vibe to them, as in the tone isn't wildly off from the speaker. The first couple stereo mixes uses a single mic (I think a condenser?) with some stereo room mics, and it seems to smooth out the top and bottom compared to the usual close mic mixes.

Same with headphones, it adds a nice space and width to the sound, and is pretty satisfying to play. Although with headphones I did like to blend in some more direct sound so it wasn't quite so diffuse.

Thank you for the feedback. It’s really helpful and great to hear that you like the KW 412 M25-SH pack! I’m really interested in your thoughts on the Stereo Mixes. So do you think the next pack should have stereo options with less room baked in? How do you feel about the ones using the smaller room like STM 08?

I can add more Stereo Mixes next time with less room if you think it would be helpful.

If you don’t mind, how does it compare with respect to the M25 and to the 3.50 stock greenback?
Night and day. I’ll see if I can make a clip.

Is there something specific you’re wanting from the Earthworks, or is it just a mic you think would be cool to add to the mic list?

My experience with the real world SR25 and with IRs from other makers is that it's like a clearer and more detailed KM184/84 type deal. And I know this one is very subjective, but the SR25 is the one mic that if I put my ear in the same place, IE: 12 inches away from a cab on a stand at a low-moderate volume (to not deafen myself), the 25 sounded VERY close to what I heard in the room at that position. So yeah, the fabled "in the room" kind of thing.

I also dig that it kind of lets the user have more play with EQ before it and after it since the mic is fairly flat and doesn't have a super strong character like a 57 or 421.

The Mesanovic intrigues me because it's a ribbon with a bump in the highs. Really dig the clips I've heard of it.

Yorks $1 Mesa 212 pack is so good I think it’s almost essential for anyone dipoing their toes into 3rd party IRs. You could start and stop the IR hunt for $1 and save yourself the time and money chasing everything else.

Naturally I’ve bought almost everything Justin has made, but in theory a wiser man could spend a $1 on that pack and move on with their life. :ROFLMAO:

@York Audio I'm getting my feet wet with this cab, and I found something odd when reading the manual. I was looking for The Small and Large room Ambient Stereo files, and there were no (RMS) files in the Minimum Phase folder. The Natural Phase folder had both (RMS) and (RML) files. I tried expanding the zip file again, and it was the same. Just wanted to let you know.

@York Audio I think I need more time with them, maybe you could have some with strong mix and subtle mix? Normally I think you’d just blend a room mic with the close mic to taste and that’s easy enough with the Axe 3, but maybe trickier with other units with 1-2 cab blocks.

The big difference with the impulses vs the actually speaker is the speaker has more prominent and even midrange, less lows and highs. That may be mic selection though, or high and low cuts.

I definitely think the mixes with room mics especially stereo sets apart these impulses from most others I’ve tried. Even other stereo impulses don’t seem like they add any depth.

Personally I’d love to hear the 1x12 deluxe cab with the new mics and mixes with room too. That would be awesome especially as the originally one was stripped down.

Here's a little A/B comparison I made with the Helix Brit Plexi Brt model using just the Amp and Cab/IR blocks. I duplicated the presets so they have the same amp settings and switched between them in real time so you can hear the differences. You can tell a lot about a cab's character with a single 57, so the clip compares the KW 412 M25 57m-1 to the Helix 3.5 4x12 Greenback 25 cab with a single 57.

My experience with the real world SR25 and with IRs from other makers is that it's like a clearer and more detailed KM184/84 type deal. And I know this one is very subjective, but the SR25 is the one mic that if I put my ear in the same place, IE: 12 inches away from a cab on a stand at a low-moderate volume (to not deafen myself), the 25 sounded VERY close to what I heard in the room at that position. So yeah, the fabled "in the room" kind of thing.

I also dig that it kind of lets the user have more play with EQ before it and after it since the mic is fairly flat and doesn't have a super strong character like a 57 or 421.

The Mesanovic intrigues me because it's a ribbon with a bump in the highs. Really dig the clips I've heard of it.
I might need to order one of those Earthworks SR25 mics. Thanks for the tip!

@York Audio I'm getting my feet wet with this cab, and I found something odd when reading the manual. I was looking for The Small and Large room Ambient Stereo files, and there were no (RMS) files in the Minimum Phase folder. The Natural Phase folder had both (RMS) and (RML) files. I tried expanding the zip file again, and it was the same. Just wanted to let you know.
Wow! You are absolutely right, and I don't know how I missed the RMS in the Minimum Phase Singles folder. I'll update the pack, but I highly recommend using the Natural Phase version of those captures anyway so you get more of the natural space and dimension that gets lost when using the Minimum Phase versions.

@York Audio I think I need more time with them, maybe you could have some with strong mix and subtle mix? Normally I think you’d just blend a room mic with the close mic to taste and that’s easy enough with the Axe 3, but maybe trickier with other units with 1-2 cab blocks.

The big difference with the impulses vs the actually speaker is the speaker has more prominent and even midrange, less lows and highs. That may be mic selection though, or high and low cuts.

I definitely think the mixes with room mics especially stereo sets apart these impulses from most others I’ve tried. Even other stereo impulses don’t seem like they add any depth.

Personally I’d love to hear the 1x12 deluxe cab with the new mics and mixes with room too. That would be awesome especially as the originally one was stripped down.
I can absolutely make more subtle Stereo Mixes for the next pack. That's a good suggestion. The microphone I used for the stereo room captures is actually quite accurate to what you hear in the room and is designed to be placed wherever the source sounds the best to your listening position. That cab has a chunky low end and a really nice top end. I chose the secondary mics that sounded the most like the cab in the room while adding a little more definition. Making Stereo Mixes is new for me, so I'm still learning and really value everyone's feedback to see what they like and what they'd like to hear for the next one.

I highly recommend using the Natural Phase version of those captures anyway so you get more of the natural space and dimension that gets lost when using the Minimum Phase versions.
That's interesting. My understanding is that Min and Nat phase IR's sound the same, and the difference is when you mix them with other IR's.
Can you explain the difference between close mics and room mics how "space and dimension" can be lost in Min phase room mics?

That's interesting. My understanding is that Min and Nat phase IR's sound the same, and the difference is when you mix them with other IR's.
Can you explain the difference between close mics and room mics how "space and dimension" can be lost in Min phase room mics?
That’s still true in this case. You get different phase relationships when mixing Natural Phase Singles vs Minimum Phase Singles. Using Natural Phase sounds like the combination of the close mic right on the speaker blended with a room mic at a much greater distance away from the cab that acts like a natural “pre-delay” giving more width and dimension to your tone. Using Minimum Phase rooms is like having sound reach the close mic and the distant mic at the same time, so you still have ambience, but you lose that depth of feel.

You can try blending Minimum Phase 57m-1 with Minimum Phase RML-1 L/R and then swap to the Natural Phase RML-1 L/R to hear how the natural distance of the room mic affects things. It sounds bigger and wider.

Yeah I’ve not used anything else in over a year, after getting the Mesa 4x12, Creamback, and Blackback. I’ll definitely be getting more, probably something Voxy.

Bought the KW pack and with initial testing I find the cab a bit on the dark side at least with Strymon Iridium's Marshall model.

The stereo mixes sound good with headphones but I don't find them particularly useful otherwise and feel close mics + Iridium room reverb do an equally good job, but more adjustable.

I would be interested in stereo mixes of close mics alone though. Not sure how much of a difference that makes tho.

Also, I found that I needed to increase the volume of the IRs, even the mono mixes, by 3 dB or more. I haven't had these issues with past York Audio IRs.

Also for the Iridium, @York Audio could you add single file stereo mixes so you don't have to drag separate L/R files?

Last edited:
I have York IR packs I haven’t even installed in my AxeFX yet. I just bought a bunch of them one day and figured I’ll hit ‘em up when I need them. I could clear out the 45,000 other IR’s from various brands and not feel the slightest bit nervous about doing so. If I‘m not using Fractal’s Dynacabs, it’ll be a York IR.

And once York starts doing Dynacabs I’ll pretty much be in IR/cab heaven. (Of course, I’m only insinuating that York will do the Dynacabs)

Part of me wants to consolidate to just an Axe FX 2 or 3, but tons of menus and parameters seems like a pain. Off topic but whatever.

Back