Universal Audio OX Stomp

it's the inverse of what he said...the implication that folks think great=expensive.

I mean the same would apply to an AxeFx3 set up.
Tbf you seem to be a huge fan of UA. Don't think Ive seen you say anything bad about it despite their known shortcomings.

Not sure what fractal has to do with the UA Ox stomp but let me guess, you don't like fractal? Also, at least fractal gives you more than other companies to "justify" said price. UA charges you more than the competition and lacks functionality/features.

Tbf you seem to be a huge fan of UA. Don't think Ive seen you say anything bad about it despite their known shortcomings.

Not sure what fractal has to do with the UA Ox stomp but let me guess, you don't like fractal? Also, at least fractal gives you more than other companies to "justify" said price. UA charges you more than the competition and lacks functionality/features.
the fuck? Obviously I'm a fan of UA i got a boat load of their stuff because i dig it.
And what you guys perceive as shortcomings clearly doesn't bother me.

As for Fractal...way to insinuate something not even close to what's what.
I was an endorsing artist for them for nearly 15 years, still use some if their stuff.
But in this forum one expensive company gets treated with kid gloves while another gets constantly bitch moaned about.

Don't dig...cool. but just as you guys get your undies in a bunch when some one slights your gear I get to point out that just because it's expensive it doesn't mean it's not great.

But in this forum one expensive company gets treated with kid gloves while another gets constantly bitch moaned about.
One expensive company (FAS) you get your money's worth. You can't even argue that whether you like their tone, business model, whatever

The other (UA), doesn't listen to it's user base and is overpriced compared to what's offered.

One expensive company (FAS) you get your money's worth. You can't even argue that whether you like their tone, business model, whatever

The other (UA), doesn't listen to it's user base and is overpriced compared to what's offered.
That's a matter of what's important to dinner one...

A work in progress, but a TGF receptiveness flow chart in the making…

Positive
  • Fractal
  • Line 6 (Minus JCM800)
  • Mesa
  • Marshall (Minus pricing in the states)
  • Friedman (Minus La Szum)
  • Synergy
  • ENGL
  • Strymon
Meme Reaction GIF

Rage
  • Neural DSP
  • GearTuber’s not named Leon Todd or John Cordy
  • Meris pedals with the bubble menus
  • Chase Bliss
  • Fender digital products
  • Universal Audio pedals
rage GIF

Meh
  • Anything by Boss that is not a 30 year old stomp box
  • Everything else that is not covered above
Bored Married With Children GIF
:grin

I don't mind UA pedals (I really liked the Golden) but it's always funny to see things always circle back to the Axe Fx it seems.

I tend to disagree with the overpriced comment. Let's take the Lion, it's 3 great amp models, with 2 boosts each, 6 great cab sims and great room sim and perfectly usable gate. In a hardware that has great AD/DA quality, is stereo I/O and optional does a loop to switch other pedals in/out. 432€
In the past I bought a few Softube Marshall sims. Plugins. No hardware, just 1 amp, no boosts, 1 cab, 100 bucks each. They are very good but don't kick me as much as the Lion. I plug into that one and a few hours go by in a heartbeat.
Price is relative. As good as I like it now I would pay a lot more for it to get it back would it be taken from me.

I tend to disagree with the overpriced comment. Let's take the Lion, it's 3 great amp models, with 2 boosts each, 6 great cab sims and great room sim and perfectly usable gate. In a hardware that has great AD/DA quality, is stereo I/O and optional does a loop to switch other pedals in/out. 432€
In the past I bought a few Softube Marshall sims. Plugins. No hardware, just 1 amp, no boosts, 1 cab, 100 bucks each. They are very good but don't kick me as much as the Lion. I plug into that one and a few hours go by in a heartbeat.
Price is relative. As good as I like it now I would pay a lot more for it to get it back would it be taken from me.
I just think in a world where the Cab M, FM3 and HX Stomp exist, UA is charging a premium for their name. But to each their own. I also don’t like that UA doesn’t really listen to their customers at all, like others do.

I'll argue from the other point of view:

- Stereo I/O is table stakes in this price point. So is "great AD/DA quality". So is good latency but UA does not excel there - it's closer to full blown multifx units latency in a much simpler pedals. Which adds up when you start putting more of them in line.
- 3 amp models that are not vastly different from each other, not as different as say JTM45/Superlead/JCM800, or Fender/Vox/Marshall.
- 6 cab sims that you cannot replace or adjust, so you better like at least one of them.
- Fx loop seems unnecessary when a Marshall Superlead relies on powertube distortion and there is no headphone out, so you might as well just plug things before/after the pedal in/out.
- Having to register an account to unlock the features already on the pedal.
- Having to rely on a mobile app to adjust things that could also be power up modes.
- No remote switching features.
- Single preset, and the mobile app presets sometimes contain adjustments that the user cannot access themselves.

It's fine that you like it, and they certainly sound good. However UA has a significant number of drawbacks they adamantly refuse to address on any of their pedals. To me that erodes their value a lot, enough for me to be curious enough to give them a try but also enough to avoid basically everything UA makes because they have shown they don't care about the customer.

Cool! Hopefully it’s a good fit for you.
Well I got to spend some time with it yesterday and this morning. Let’s just say it’s not going anywhere soon and worth keeping around for more playing time. I like it more than I did the Friedman IRX. Now that’s not a slam on the IRX because I don’t tend to bind with Friedman’s amps like I’d like. He’s stuff sounds good but not my thing. Also at first blush this are the best Marshall plexi amp models I’ve tried on any platform. It’s overpriced and has no midis but this pedal so far is really giving me the goods I like personally and look for in that vein of amp.

Well I got to spend some time with it yesterday and this morning. Let’s just say it’s not going anywhere soon and worth keeping around for more playing time. I like it more than I did the Friedman IRX. Now that’s not a slam on the IRX because I don’t tend to bind with Friedman’s amps like I’d like. He’s stuff sounds good but not my thing. Also at first blush this are the best Marshall plexi amp models I’ve tried on any platform. It’s overpriced and has no midis but this pedal so far is really giving me the goods I like personally and look for in that vein of amp.
That’s cool, glad you’re gelling with it!

Back